Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Tale of Two Peace Dollars — Which One Would You Keep?

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops, I did it again. I've managed to end up with two examples of a coin of which I only need one. Unlike my 1935 Washington quarter dilemma, this wasn't accidental, but it was the result of a spontaneous "insta-buy", maybe or maybe not after a couple of beers. Now I have two type examples of the classic Peace Dollar, and I'm having a difficult time deciding which one to keep and which one to part with.

If you had to make that call, what would you do? Both are in PCGS MS66 slabs, the 1925 has a CAC sticker and I'm not sure if the 1923 has ever been in front of JA, and both photos are cropped TrueViews. I paid roughly the same for both coins.

1923 PCGS MS66

1925 PCGS MS66 CAC

Of course, I will reserve the right to keep both and start a date set :)

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

They both look phenomenal. I like the 1925.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

My vote is also for the 25.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you’ve been spoiled by those two and would be deeply disappointed and frustrated if you tried for a date set.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like the obverse of the '23 and the reverse of the '25! >:)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2021 5:47PM

I'd keep both, agree with @291fifth. If I had to, Id keep the 23 because I always fall for a girl with a pretty face...!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see why the '25 CAC'd...

Both are beautiful coins...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Nice Peace dollars. Sell me the one you don’t like. :)

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a tough choice! I love the obverse of 1923 better than 1925, yet I love the reverse of 1925 better than 1923. As the obverse is the more important side of a coin, I would vote for the 1923 but only by a sliver of a margin.

peacockcoins

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

That hit on the feather and the tick near the nose would annoy me... sell the '25

Beautiful coins!

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

the 1925. nice coin :)

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 23 better.

If the sticker is a deciding factor you could submit the 23 before selling either.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd keep 'em both.

• Options

@291fifth said:
    I'd like the obverse of the '23 and the reverse of the '25! >:)

I agree! I think that's why I'm having such a tough time deciding.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep the 1925 for the sticker hype.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

It's a toss up. I like both obverses, but not the reverses as much. I think I'd lean to the '23.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options

@Broadstruck said:
    I like the 23 better.
    If the sticker is a deciding factor you could submit the 23 before selling either.

@privatecoin said:

My goal is simply to have the best example for my type set.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@Broadstruck said:
    I like the 23 better.

@privatecoin said:

My goal is simply to have the best example for my type set.

No pun intended. My choice still would be keep the 1925. ;)

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2021 9:57AM

I would keep both. The 23 nicer IMO.

The 25 has fairly visible left obv field mark.

CPG on them is 422 for 1923 and 462 for the CAC 1925.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for a type set? Keep the '25.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep the 1925.

• Options
    PortrossPortross Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

I’d take the 1923. The hair is more defined and the cheek is cleaner. And there’s a couple of interesting die breaks on the eagle’s wing. The 1925 does have a better reverse though.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd pick the 1925

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

I’m going to keep both, at least for now. The responses here are pretty evenly split, and I just can’t decide! I’ll probably sell a little gold or something else to make it up in the coin budget. I appreciate all of the input.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the 25's come nicer so I will go for the 23'.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd keep the 25. Overall better strike and just as pretty as the 23.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you've already decided.... I like the '25 better personally. They're both great looking and @MarkFeld hit the nail on the head with his comment about you being disappointed if these two were the start of your date set.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are beautys but if it came down to one or the other, for me the '25 gets the nod.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they’re both great. I’m glad you decided to keep both for now. ‘25 was going to be my pick, but I couldn’t really give a reason.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 25 is "rarer". I would keep that.

Vplite99
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 1925.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 23 is a better looking coin. The 25 has hits in several places and some spotting on the rev. If you don't need a CAC sticker it would be the one to keep (if you can't keep them both). I am surprised the 23 didn't CAC.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1925 looks a little sharper on the reverse, but that could be the nature of the photo. Both are really nice.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep both. Start date set.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    The 23 is a better looking coin. The 25 has hits in several places and some spotting on the rev. If you don't need a CAC sticker it would be the one to keep (if you can't keep them both). I am surprised the 23 didn't CAC.

Not sure if the ‘23 has ever been to CAC. Might send it later this year if I still have it. Personally I don’t care whether my Peace example has a sticker or not, but obviously all other things being equal it’d be a nice bonus.

@BillJones said:
    The 1925 looks a little sharper on the reverse, but that could be the nature of the photo. Both are really nice.

The ‘25 reverse is definitely sharper in-hand as well.

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Both are absolutely terrible... you should get rid of both and start over. I will happily take of the disposal for you.

Seriously, though, I would keep the 25 over the 23. Much nicer look in my opinion. Both are beautiful coins, though. Nice pick up on both.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both coins are very nice for the assigned grade with the 1923 having a cleaner obverse. The 1925 on the other hand has a population in this grade that is roughly 80% of the 1923. If stickers make any difference, the 1923 should also sticker if submitted.

Pick the one you like best or keep both.

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭

Are CAC stickers date-dependent the way grades can be? Meaning things like an 81-S Morgan or a 23 Peace need to be especially nice to get the sticker where less common dates get a bit less scrutiny? If that's the case then don't bother submitting the 23 for a sticker even if it does seem to be a better coin than the 25. But yeah I'd keep both :smile:

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much more partial to the 1925. Both are spectacular. Yes, I'd keep BOTH, if I could.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file