Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2020-W American Samoa Error Coin - Missing V75 Privy Mark

I pulled about 900 uncirculated 2020-W American Samoa coins out of cases in the Spring of 2020 and only found 2 that were missing the V75 privy mark. It's basically just a hole where the "V75" is supposed to be. I sent one into PCGS to be graded as an error and they sent it back with no error designation and an MS64 grade. Every time I've complained to them about an order I've sent in they basically just tell me to go pound sand, so I'm not even sure if it's worth it to push the issue with them. I'm an amateur collector anyway, so I'm not even sure if this should be considered an error. Looks like it to me though. Does anyone have any opinion on whether or not this is actually an error coin? And if so, should I call PCGS and request a regrade? I've never seen another one like this on eBay or anywhere else, so if this is actually an error, any thoughts on what it might be worth would be welcome too. Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really can't tell much from those photos. Seems to be something there.

Did you pay the error rate, or just the normal grading fee?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrbliss72 ... Welcome aboard.... We cannot determine detail from those pictures... I understand from your description that the internal detail on the privy stamp is not there. That often can occur due to a grease filled die...
    Better pictures of the privy mark would help us to provide a more exact conclusion. Cheers, RickO

• Options

This is the only pic I can find that I took prior to sending it into PCGS guys.

• Options

The outline of the Reflecting Pool is fully visible, but on the inside there is only the left side of the "V", no "7", the top half of the "5" is slightly visible, but it's...crushed (for lack of a better word)...into the hole that's in the center of the Privy Mark, and lastly the bottom half of the "5" is visible.

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2021 12:22PM

Yours looks like a minor strike-thru error. I had a similar one pictured below. Mine went ATS and was graded as such, but it was submitted as an error.

edit. Just saw you actually did submit as an error. That sucks they sent it out without any designation. Not entirely sure it's worth the hassle. Anyone collecting them can see it if you sell. Just post solid pics.

• Options

@JBK - I did include the extra $17 for the error designation, but when they billed me I don't believe they actually charged me for it. This was like 4 months ago, so I'd have to look back. I meant to get on here and ask these questions when I got my order back, but life got in the way...

• Options

@Tetromibi - Yeah bud, that's actually exactly what I submitted it as - a strike-through error. No idea why they didn't grade it that way. Seems like the graders at PCGS basically just do whatever they want. I've had SO many issues with them it's ridiculous....

• Options

@mrbliss72 said:
    @Tetromibi - Yeah bud, that's actually exactly what I submitted it as - a strike-through error. No idea why they didn't grade it that way. Seems like the graders at PCGS basically just do whatever they want. I've had SO many issues with them it's ridiculous....

It's a great coin. That couldn't be in a better spot.

• Options

Weird. They didn't give it a "details" grade so they did not see it as damage. If it is a depression then it is strike thru, if it is raised then it is a die chip.

• Options

@JBK It's 100% a depression. Looks like a hole dead center in the middle of the privy mark..

• Options

@Tetromibi Speaking of issues with PCGS, I just posted another question on here today that no one has commented on yet. I sent in a bunch of Samoa and Weir Farm W's for Early Find designation and there was one set of 10 that I got back that had two "First Strike" labels instead of "Early Find". Can't find any others out there on the interwebs, so I'm wondering If I have the only two..

• Options

What ticks me off too is that I think this error coin is an MS65+ and the grader actually dinged me a level and a half for the strike-thru error..

• Options

@mrbliss72 said:
    @Tetromibi Speaking of issues with PCGS, I just posted another question on here today that no one has commented on yet. I sent in a bunch of Samoa and Weir Farm W's for Early Find designation and there was one set of 10 that I got back that had two "First Strike" labels instead of "Early Find". Can't find any others out there on the interwebs, so I'm wondering If I have the only two..

Pics? I don't see them in the pop report. Sounds like just a mechanical error with the wrong label, but who knows.

• Options

@Tetromibi I sent you the link to that question in a DM bud.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, if that's truly what you say it is. That there, is one special coin, dude. PCGS, should have titled it that. Something is fishy? We DO need BETTER pics. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know who's in charge of error/variety designations these days and how to contact them?

• Options

Here are a couple more pics guys.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

very unusual

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    very unusual

Indeed. My buddy and I pulled 900 Samoa W's and two of them were like this. The other one though actually hit the Reflecting Pool outline. On this one the "hole" is dead center.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrbliss72 said:

On this one the "hole" is dead center.

Unfortunately, anybody can easily punch a hole in that area? With a tool? Maybe, this is what PCGS was thinking? :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Should be a struckthru then. No idea why they didn't attribute it if you paid for error service.

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@mrbliss72 said:

Unfortunately, anybody can easily punch a hole in that area? With a tool? Maybe, this is what PCGS was thinking? :*

Very true, but that's not how I roll.. And if that was their line of thought, then I would imagine they wouldn't grade any strike-through errors at all.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@mrbliss72 said:

They could but then metal would be moved and it would be more obvious than a strike through. But it should then be in a details holder or sent back in a body bag.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should have been labeled "Obverse Strike Through." It is not a Missing Privy mark coin. Privy mark simply has strike through on it. $100 coin at most with the strike through label. I found and sold a few certified W quarter strike throughs.

Likely you identified it as a "missing privy mark" on your submission which would help explain the label you received and the refund of your error submission fee. PCGS simply overlooked the fact that it is a strike through. Based on the hits on George's face in your pics, 64 is a generous grade.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

@derryb said:
    Should have been labeled "Obverse Strike Through." It is not a Missing Privy mark coin. Privy mark simply has strike through on it. $100 coin at most with the strike through label. I found and sold a few certified W quarter strike throughs.

Likely you identified it as a "missing privy mark" on your submission which would help explain the label you received and the refund of your error submission fee. PCGS simply overlooked the fact that it is a strike through. Based on the hits on George's face in your pics, 64 is a generous grade.

On the submission form I stated "strike-through error".

• Options

@mrbliss72 said:

@derryb said:

We didn't get to see that. All we had to go on was your thread title "Missing V75 Privy Mark." While PCGS will not be talked out of an assigned grade, their customer service is always more than willing to fix a label mistake (mechanical error). Give them a call, they will likely pay shipping both ways as well.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think something that'd leave a divot like that would leave a mark on the reverse if man made. I wonder if a mark could be lessened if it were counterstruck on leather

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2021 3:07PM

I have punched more than my share of coins. Metal is moved - upward and/or downward. A strikethru is a different look.

• Options

strikethru.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@mrbliss72 said:

@derryb said:

We didn't get to see that. All we had to go on was your thread title "Missing V75 Privy Mark." While PCGS will not be talked out of an assigned grade, their customer service is always more than willing to fix a label mistake (mechanical error). Give them a call, they will likely pay shipping both ways as well.

Actually he did state that in a response to another member on 3/5. Please take time to read through the thread before criticizing someone 🙄

• Options
    edited March 8, 2021 4:32PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@derryb said:

@mrbliss72 said:

@derryb said:

Actually he did state that in a response to another member on 3/5. Please take time to read through the thread before criticizing someone 🙄

your usual criticism is noted. And this is all you can contribute to the discussion? lol

No criticism intended on my part, simply a mistake in my assumption of how he submitted while actually participating in the discussion. Try participating, it is much more rewarding than only stepping in to criticize.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@derryb said:

@mrbliss72 said:

@derryb said:

your usual criticism is noted. And this is all you can contribute to the discussion? lol

No criticism intended on my part, simply a mistake in my assumption of how he submitted while actually participating in the discussion. Try participating, it is much more rewarding than only stepping in to criticize.

Actually, I am going to utilize the IGNORE feature on you. You just aren't worth my time to read your posts anymore. 🤫

• Options
    edited March 8, 2021 5:42PM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Actually, I am going to utilize the IGNORE feature on you. You just aren't worth my time to read your posts anymore. 🤫

appreciate it. find someone else to troll. Do I get a forum badge?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@derryb said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@derryb said:

@mrbliss72 said:

@derryb said:

Careful, you only get 5 ignores.

• Options
    edited March 8, 2021 5:47PM

double post

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Hopefully I got in.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one of these too, but mine looked different 🙃

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Hopefully I got in.

LOL. Makes me wonder: who holds the record for most ignores?

• Options

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Hopefully I got in.

I'm already lonely.

• Options

Well, this thread went downhill quick..lol.. Thanks everyone for their input. I really appreciate your time!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file