Home Precious Metals
Options

Thoughts on the new Britannia security features?

MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2, 2021 9:12PM in Precious Metals

I just picked up a 2021 1 oz Silver Britannia because I thought the new security features were cool and I’m wondering what you guys think?

In my opinion the more security features the better. Think of how many Chinese fake American Silver Eagles are out there being sold as real.

Is it time to update the ASE with similar security features?

New 2021 VS. Old 2015

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a roll of maples with the radial security thing, I doubt the ASE will have anything coming soon.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you 100% ... at this point in time it's better to be safe than sorry.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a latent image of Max Headroom in the circle near "BRITANNIA"?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

the type 2 eagles will supposedly have new anti-counterfeiting technology.

anyway, if it can be made it can be copied.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2021 10:39PM

@TomB said:
    Is that a latent image of Max Headroom in the circle near "BRITANNIA"?

Nah it’s the trident that transforms into a padlock when turned in the light kinda like the rippling waves.

Beautiful coin with lots of cool things like that to look at.

But it does look like him when in transition between lock and padlock xD

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    the type 2 eagles will supposedly have new anti-counterfeiting technology.

anyway, if it can be made it can be copied.

But it will at least crackdown on how many are produced right?

I imagine that making these coins requires a lot of skill and machinery and from what I’ve seen making casts of the mold tends to blur the details.

I’m hoping these security features at least reduce how many counterfeits are made every year. But my guess is they’ll stick to the older years without them and 2021s will be mostly real and less suspicious as a result than earlier years.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting.... I may get one so I can examine it in hand. I wonder what they will try on the ASE...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited March 5, 2021 9:49AM

@ricko said:
    That is interesting.... I may get one so I can examine it in hand. I wonder what they will try on the ASE...Cheers, RickO

You definitely should! I think interactive features like that are kind of cool too.

If you want to hear about all the new security features the Royal Mint made a video here:

https://www.apmex.com/product/219229/2021-great-britain-1-oz-gold-britannia-bu

Scroll to the last photo or if you don’t trust links go to APMEX and find the page for the 1oz Gold Britannia and the video will be there.

It’s actually a pretty cool video.

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 274 ✭✭✭

@MKUltra24 said:
    I just picked up a 2021 1 oz Silver Britannia because I thought the new security features were cool and I’m wondering what you guys think?

In my opinion the more security features the better. Think of how many Chinese fake American Silver Eagles are out there being sold as real.

Is it time to update the ASE with similar security features?

New 2021 VS. Old 2015

I like these types of security features a LOT and definitely gravitate towards coins that have them.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

they describe the tech as ground-breaking but tech used for the lock-trident feature has appeared on Japan 500 Yen circulating coins (~$5) for years

interestingly enough the japanese mint has a patent in japan and the usa for helical (diagonal) reeding. they say that is another anti-counterfeiting feature.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lexiluna63 said:
    The new Britannia security features showcase a commitment to robust protection. Innovations, like enhanced encryption and advanced threat detection, signify a proactive approach to safeguarding user data. As digital landscapes evolve, Britannia's focus on security underscores their dedication to providing a secure and resilient user experience.

Judging by the language used..... what is your relationship with Britannia? (your comment reads like a commercial. Not complaining.... just an observation)

----- kj
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2024 10:40AM

@tincup said:

@lexiluna63 said:
    The new Britannia security features showcase a commitment to robust protection. Innovations, like enhanced encryption and advanced threat detection, signify a proactive approach to safeguarding user data. As digital landscapes evolve, Britannia's focus on security underscores their dedication to providing a secure and resilient user experience.

Judging by the language used..... what is your relationship with Britannia? (your comment reads like a commercial. Not complaining.... just an observation)

I was thinking it was the new PCGS AI bot. J/K, welcome to the forum @lexiluna63 RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lexiluna63 said:

Copied that from somewhere.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sigma PMV is the best security measure.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Does that work through a plastic slab?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@derryb said:

Does that work through a plastic slab?

yes

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar