Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any help with what variety this New Jersey Copper is?

I found this New Jersey Copper in a lot of coins I bought recently and O looked through all of the New Jersey copper varieties in my red book and I didn’t see one that matches the horses head or how the middle of the shield is a low point. I am pretty sure it is a 1787, I think I can see the top of the last 7.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well there are 12 major varieties from 1786-1788. Lots of interesting other features. Shame the damaged edge. Use the Google to study up. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a great resource and I am pretty sure it is a Maris 48-g

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2021 2:17PM

Yep, 48-g. I believe there are actually 148 or so varieties.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2021 4:43PM

Weren’t some old coins used to decorate the edges of pies, only that one doesn’t have the hole in the middle?
    Edit for ?

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2021 7:26PM

Yes...that is an old pie crimper coin... 100% for sure.
    ...I'm kind of hard core on the cooking :smiley:

@Smudge said:
    Weren’t some old coins used to decorate the edges of pies, only that one doesn’t have the hole in the middle?
    Edit for ?

They didn't need a hole, grandma just held it in the middle :blush: Used for designs on the dough and also cutting the excess dough off...I have a couple of the old style thick pie crimpers on a stick with a little jiggy wheel on there from my childhood.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu I agree it's a crimper, it's a great addition to any collection. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, a pie crimper.... Older copper coins with holes were often nailed above the front door as a superstition 'to welcome money in'.... placed on the eye lids of dead people to keep them closed during funerals.... worn in shoes for good luck, placed on car batteries to reduce terminal corrosion, used as fuses.... and many, many other weird applications. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file