Home Precious Metals

Gold Maple Leafs..... Too many 9's?

I sold all my maples when they went to the four nine version. Couldn't keep up with the changes and now I guess they are FIVE nines.
Anyone else get miffed at the "nines" thing? :#

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, 3 nines, 4 nines, 5 nines it's all 24K to me but then again I even like 22K gold. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I just got comfy with the 4 nines 🙄

• CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭

Had a few of them in 2007.
    think they started them in 2005

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

supposedly refining to 4 9's is easy and 5 9's is hard.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    supposedly refining to 4 9's is easy and 5 9's is hard.

It was all hard until someone said hey look at these 1's and 0's imaginary digits then things got REAL easy. EZSTREET! :p

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

The more nines, the better, imo. I like some pure gold! Could be overkill but now I kind of want to get me one of these 5-niners.

But I would feel no need to replace any existing stack, after all very pure gold is soft and not that practical in some ways.

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand. They've been doing .99999 for special issue gold maples and the Call of the Wild series for awhile now. Are the regular issue bullion Maple Leafs (or is it Leaves?) going to .99999 permanently now too?

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any day now the RCM will produce a 1.00000 fine gold coin. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• OliverDePlaiseOliverDePlaise Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

The change from 3 to 4 ended up with negative premiums. Silly.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Four nines, five nines.... I really do not care... Gold is gold.... At that level of purity it is just a status symbol. Cheers, RickO

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why nines? Why not eights? Would that help the OP?!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

The OP simply avoids Maples. No biggie. Eagles are better taxwise and everywise. Phillies are same purity.
    B)

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

.99999 pure = .00001 impure = .311 milligrams, theoretically, of impurities (check my math).

By comparison: a spec of dust weights about 1 milligram.

At .99999 pure, a single speck of dust on the surface of your gold coin would contaminate your gold coin about 3 times as much as the impurities contained within.

So If you're not worried about 1/3 of a speck of dust on the outside of your bullion coin, you shouldn't worry about (or pay more for) a .99999 pure gold coin.

.999 pure is fine.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

Come to think of it maybe the OP was right. No more Maples for me until we hit 9 nines. How much dust is in .000000001 impure? Can't believe all this potential dust in me gold.

@Weiss said:
    .99999 pure = .00001 impure = .311 milligrams, theoretically, of impurities (check my math).

By comparison: a spec of dust weights about 1 milligram.

At .99999 pure, a single speck of dust on the surface of your gold coin would contaminate your gold coin about 3 times as much as the impurities contained within.

So If you're not worried about 1/3 of a speck of dust on the outside of your bullion coin, you shouldn't worry about (or pay more for) a .99999 pure gold coin.

.999 pure is fine.

Tell that to buyers who think they are slag with only 3 nines.

@OliverDePlaise said:

Tell that to buyers who think they are slag with only 3 nines.

I mean given the choice, with no difference in premium? Always go for what your future buyer would want.

Two same date, equal grade, PCGS slabbed morgan dollars. One CAC and one not? All things (and I mean even eye appeal) equal, go for the CAC.

A modern 10 ounce Silvertowne bar in plastic or a vintage JM 10 ounce bar in plastic? JM.

.999 pure maple leaf or a .99999 pure maple leaf? All things equal, including price: .99999 pure. I don't care, but the person who buys it from me one day might.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:

Two same date, equal grade, PCGS slabbed morgan dollars. One CAC and one not? All things (and I mean even eye appeal) equal, go for the CAC.

Even though the CAC coin is double the price?

edited March 4, 2021 3:32PM

@PerryHall said:

@Weiss said:

What part of "All Things Equal" did you not understand, Rollo? :)

--Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:

@PerryHall said:

@Weiss said:

CAC coins seldom sell for the same price as the same exact coin without the CAC sticker.

And JM bars in plastic generally sell for more than Silvertowne. That's the point. If you can get them for the same price, take the one that is more salable.

--Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:

@PerryHall said:

@Weiss said:

I think you meant Perry

It's an OFR thing. You might not understand :D

--Severian the Lame

Honestly, my favorite bullion gold coin are Krugerrands. I don't own any gold maples, and I only own a few fractional gold eagles.

Krugerrands = gold to me, and I suspect to lots of people who grew up in the 60s and 70s.

Krugerrands are 91.67% gold, 8.33% copper. Of course they weigh more than an ounce, so there is an ounce of pure gold in them. But I like that 22k crown gold look. A lot.

--Severian the Lame
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of Grams! Chew on these:

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

@PerryHall said:

@Weiss said:

@PerryHall said:

@Weiss said:

CAC coins seldom sell for the same price as the same exact coin without the CAC sticker.

My prediction is CACs will only certify 6 nines and above once they expand into the bullion market. The bigger question will be if there are both bullion green and gold beans or perhaps only the most coveted ruby bullion bean™ , ®, ©. I want my $1700 gold to be worth $5100 gold. The sticker can do that. Crazy world! THKS!