Home Precious Metals
Options

Dumb question from newbie

I don’t own anything in an assay case, but have a few questions.

First, are they all the same size no matter what is in them?

Second, are they a rigid plastic like a graded coin or more of a soft flexible plastic?

Third, would they need to be cut or broken if you wanted to get into them?

And finally, is the name assay considered the brand name? Or is it more equivalent to the term “top loader” for sports cards?

I realize these will probably be all common sense answers once I hold one in hand. Just haven’t had the opportunity yet.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2021 5:42PM

show or link an item you are referring to. Assay is normally a term that indicates an individual PM item (normally a bar) has been certified concerning purity. If you're referring to the 1-10 oz gold bars mounted in plastic and cardboard such as a Pamp Suisse bar be advised these type bars are regularly counterfeited and if authentic are worth no more premium than any reputable quality gold. Stick with quality gold coins and if you're worried about fakes buy only NGC or PCGS graded gold coins. Lower the grade, lower the premium but they are all certified as authentic.

Fake Perth Mint gold bars

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

don't buy 1oz bars.

terrible resale value

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    don't buy 1oz bars.

terrible resale value

Yeah...tell that to all that purchased PAMP bars over the years ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

shop around for each purchase to ensure the lowest price paid.

apmex is usually high on non-sale items.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I’m not necessarily looking to buy anything in an assay case right now. Just trying to learn and understand the terminology.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2021 5:52PM

all of the bars you pictured are known to have been counterfeited. Stick with quality gold coins from a known reputable dealer. Better yet stick with PCGS or NGC certified coins but be advised that even they are being counterfeited. If you're gonna be stacking a bit of gold, invest in a Sigma Precious Metal verifier instrument. Be advised it does not tell you the gold content it only verifies the gold content that you have told it to verify.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

That would be an assay card. Typically a laminated plastic clamshell like those things they put small electronics in and seem impossible to open. An attempt to protect the metal and prevent tampering as well as provide additional detail about the product. Usually, you would have to cut the card to open it. They can be faked, but no more convincingly than bars and coins can be faked. With a precious metals verifier they can still be tested for authenticity through the plastic card, which is not rigid. Best left in the packaging for highest resale. Brand name would be Pamp, Valcambi, etc. IMO, when purchased from a trusted source, bars provide good value. For example, a large bullion dealer near me has a buy/sell spread of $130 on 1oz AGEs, but just $90 on common bars in assay cards. The cards are different sizes by manufacturer and typically by bar size as well. I have some Baird Rhodium bars... all are in assay cards which must be why they are impossible to sell (jk). I also have a 99999 Au maple leaf in a card.

• Options

Thank you sir.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2021 7:17PM

While you will feel protected buying these bars from a trusted and reputable dealer, will your eventual buyer feel the same about buying them from you? Always consider ease of resell when buying PMs.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2021 7:43PM

Oh, assay card VS assay case.
    Usually the cards are sealed and with the serial number of the bar on the card.
    Older Johnson matthey silver bars sometimes come with assay certs (certification card) IF the previous owners kept them together.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always buy from established sellers, APMEX, JM Bullion or trusted Ebay sellers. You can by bullion on the BST too, never had an issue with anyone.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one ounce bar can make a great gift as well just saying