Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Error on 1911 P? LIBER(7 over T)Y?

Hi Folks

I'm new to Lincoln Penny collecting and have been purchasing Wheat Penny rolls to get started. The 1911 P came out of one of the rolls. I already have a nicer version of a 1911 P and was attempting to grade this one to resell it. While grading I noticed the word LIBERTY on the obverse side looks like LIBER7Y. On closer inspection in looks to me like a 7 was stamped on top of what was suppose to be a T. Its just weird. I've included pictures of both the obverse and reverse of the coin in question. I've also included a close up picture of LIBER7Y on the obverse. Finally I've included an obverse picture of my normal 1911 P.

Please let me know what you think. Error? Something common? Worth anything other than the $5-$6 I appraise a 1911 P in this condition?

Thank you

Obverse of 1911 P in question

Close up of LIBER7Y on 1911 P in question

Reverse of 1911 P in question

Normal 1911 P - The one I currently have in my book

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2021 12:32PM

that is from a "hit" (contact) on the "T"

pretty lucky hit to make it look like a 7.

the "Y" has also been abused by something hitting it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Maybe 7 is a lucky number. Worth anything?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is nothing special about it. so, there will be no premium for it. it's still a 1911.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

hit/contact mark

No error of any kind....sorry

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damage, as mentioned.

And where are worn 1911 cents worth $5-6? :*

• Options

Thanks folks for the information! Much appreciated education.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UkuleleFlyfisher.... Welcome aboard... great pictures, but no numismatic premium for PMD (Post Mint Damage). Cheers, RickO

• Options

Follow up: Just for grins I put this penny on eBay - Item ID 154353202782. It sold for $4.25

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UkuleleFlyfisher said:
    Follow up: Just for grins I put this penny on eBay - Item ID 154353202782. It sold for $4.25

Somebody seriously overpaid.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2021 1:17AM

@UkuleleFlyfisher said:

That's too much.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@UkuleleFlyfisher said:

That's too much.

Not for the seller.😁

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2021 6:04AM

@ajaan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@UkuleleFlyfisher said:

That's too much.

Not for the seller.😁

apparently not too much for the buyer either. :)

The market is what the market is...

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a great roll find. A great resource for variety/error Lincolns is here:

lincolncentforum.com

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file