Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

WTB: Guatemalan Pillars

Working on a near impossible full set of Guatemalan pillars.

Anyone have anything for sale???

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 2:26PM

Any series or specific series? I don't own any but may help others know.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

Guatemalan Pillars which ran from 1754 to 1771.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2021 7:25PM

@Boosibri said:

Guatemalan Pillars which ran from 1754 to 1771.

Sorry I meant the denomination do you want all series 1/2 Reales up to 8 Reales or just 8 reales?

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know this but unfortunately, it's only possible in very low grades or as "details" coins.

I also believe you are the first collector I specifically know who is attempting to complete a series more difficult than mine which is Bolivia and Peru pillars. There others, but it's low proportionately and most don't have many coins.

• Options

@WCC said:
    You know this but unfortunately, it's only possible in very low grades or as "details" coins.

I also believe you are the first collector I specifically know who is attempting to complete a series more difficult than mine which is Bolivia and Peru pillars. There others, but it's low proportionately and most don't have many coins.

I know...sigh.

I should be able to do the 8Rs and 4Rs to decent condition and I’m starting with the rarest 8Rs already and the finest extant. The other minors will be exceptionally difficult but a fun journey. I’m 38 so I have some time I hope.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2021 7:04PM

@WCC said:

Are you guys talking 8 Reales or all the series? Never mind I got my answer.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2021 7:06PM

Best of luck!! What is wrong with low grades or authentic coins if that is all there is out there?

• Options

Best of luck!! What is wrong with low grade of authentic coins if that all there is out there?

Absolutely nothing.

I prefer higher quality coins with my preferred appearance (not blast white) but it's also a function of future marketability. I'll buy a nice or even decent low grade coin any time if the price is right and especially if a rare date.

I also don't mind buying "details" coins with minor problems but sellers usually ask prices above "market" because all these coins are difficult to buy.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2021 7:20PM

@WCC said:

Best of luck!! What is wrong with low grade of authentic coins if that all there is out there?

Absolutely nothing.

I prefer higher quality coins with my preferred appearance (not blast white) but it's also a function of future marketability. I'll buy a nice or even decent low grade coin any time if the price is right and especially if a rare date.

I also don't mind buying "details" coins with minor problems but sellers usually ask prices above "market" because all these coins are difficult to buy.

That I get and makes sens. But why would he bother with a series if the grades bother him I would just collect something else. In the end he will not be happy. I would I don't mind any grade as long as the coin looks OK. I know buy the best is always the better way in life but some times you can't for financial reasons or simply they don't exist.

I am buying 4 Reales from Mexico can't be picky with those but I am OK with that. The 8 Reales you have a little more room but many coins don't have that many either and the best are already in collections. You buy what you can. It sucks but that is part of collecting a country that is much tougher than say Canada or the USA. But it is also part of the joy and fun of owning them as well.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

My goal is to collect condition census pieces and to build out as complete of a set as possible. The best 8R's are likely to exist as AU/MS pieces in most situations.

This

Some collectors (including myself) don't have a fixation with "hole filling". If I can never complete the series, I'm fine with that. There are a lot of coins I "like" but I can't afford all of it and I'm not interested in owning coins which (practically) anyone can own. I find it boring since it's only a function of having the money.

@Boosibri said:

4R's will be the next "easiest" denomination to complete. I have the 1756, 1762, 1766 and 1770 thus far in EF/AU. The killers will be the 1764 - 1765. Stuart had a beautiful 1764 which I hope to one day find,.

Agree this is the second most "common" denomination. I think it is somewhat more common than Peru but I might be wrong about that. The mintages are lower (usually) but I have seen more.

@Boosibri said:

>

The minors from there are exceptionally scarce and often holed. I have the 1764 1R ex. Huntington, a 1764 1/2R and the 1756/5 1/2R in 65 which sold in NYINC. No 2R's and much more to do there. I don't have a game plan together on which dates I have no choice but to accept a details coin. At the present I am not relegating myself to problem coins and will continue to look for problem free pieces.

I attribute the disproportionate scarcity (versus other mints) primarily to the usually much lower mintages. I own the 1/2R as a VG-8 (1763) and F-15 (Ex-Stuart 1759), 1R as VG-8 (1768) and 2R as G-6 (1764). I have only seen a few other decent ones come up for sale.

@Boosibri said:

As a note, the Stuart gallery is not a complete representation of his former collection. Many problem coins represent the dates in the set but as an owner of several Stuart coins which are far superior to anything imaged in the NGC gallery I can attest to the fact that he had some exceptional coins which were gone before NGC documented the group.

Interesting, did not know that.

• Options

@WCC

I agree that Peru 4R's are more scarce, especially the super tough early 1760's.

My 1758 and 1765's are ex. Stuart but not shown in the gallery. Wonder what else is missing from the gallery.

• Options

Best of luck they are great coins!!

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are my kind of people. I've been collecting Spanish colonial pillar coinage for a little while now, finding decent pieces is a STRUGGLE, and I'm not even focused on the level of coins you are. Guatemala is my first goal, then Peru...but honestly I love them all, I've got a number of Mexican and Bolivian pieces as well. I'm not particularly picky, but I like coins that look nice and original...I've got a few with problems, but I try to avoid them unless I fairly believe I'll never likely see the date again.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options

@SimonW said:
    You guys are my kind of people. I've been collecting Spanish colonial pillar coinage for a little while now, finding decent pieces is a STRUGGLE, and I'm not even focused on the level of coins you are. Guatemala is my first goal, then Peru...but honestly I love them all, I've got a number of Mexican and Bolivian pieces as well. I'm not particularly picky, but I like coins that look nice and original...I've got a few with problems, but I try to avoid them unless I fairly believe I'll never likely see the date again.

Welcome to the boards. One thing I have learned in the little over a year I have been collecting pillar coins is patience no other choice if you add a few a year you are lucky. Good luck and have fun. The more you learn the more joy you will get out of this hobby.

• Options

ttt. Still looking for nice Guatemalan pillars

• Options
    edited October 19, 2022 7:43PM

Nothing shows up in low grades almost ever can't imagine trying to land high grades. In 2 years I was only able to buy one 8 reales from Guatemala a 1755 graded by PCGS as authentic.

Good luck!!