Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1853 W/A 10c GTG

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 28, 2021 10:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Bought this 1853 W/A dime in 2014. Can you guess the grade?

Grade and the slab at the end of this page.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from the Heritage glamour shots but I do not see a mark on that coin. I will guess MS67.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know the coin so won't guess Robert. Looks much better in hand.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah... I don't see many marks at all... 66+

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

67+

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably depends on the luster, which is impossible to gauge from those photos. I'll WAG MS67.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going with 68. probably a bean too.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 based on the photo but if it's a lusterbomb, then maybe higher.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oreville - you're making it too easy to look up! :D

I'm with the 66 crowd - nice looking coin - one I would expect you to be attracted to.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before opening the thread, I guessed 66 based just on who was posting.

Having seen the photo, I will still guess 66 and would not be suprised if higher.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2021 7:41PM

I agree with most posters here which was why I started this thread.
    It is difficult to really determine the correct grade from many of the Heritage photos.

The oversized HA photos do make this dime have the look of anywhere from MS-65 to MS-67 as the luster cannot be ascertained.

The only reason I knew to bid on this dime was I got to see it in person in the 2001 ANA show and loved it.
    I was a Gardiner wannabe ...... or as he said.... he was an Oreville wannabe! LOL.

Thinking about coins was the last thing on my mind back in October 2001 when I was doing volunteer work to help the widows of the firefighters and police officers who did not survive 911 as well as the spouses of the firefighters who did survive 911 only to pass away not many years later.....ALL FROM CANCER!!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not have guessed 68 from those pictures.... Probably 66 or so.... Thanks for your backstory and your service to the first responder families. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file