Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP 1927-S Walking Liberty Half Dollar for my early date set

These twenties are tough. This is the first half dollar minted since '23 (excluding commeratives). It has been stated (Fox) that NO fully struck examples exist. This one certainly has weakness in the hand, gown lines, and reverse eagle feathers. None the less, it's a very pleasing example and I'm happy to have added it to my early date set.

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fine representative. I've never seen a fully struck example. I have only seen 3 or 4 that were close.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has a lot of character! Very rich warm luster.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a nice addition to any collection. I believe that to be a very nice selection for 27 S. Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like all the '20s walkers.
    That's a very nice example.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my, my ... that's an outstanding 27-S <3

Great look, and a great addition! Congratulations!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

55?

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better than usual detail as you state. Very few distractions in the fields. Nice clean sun. Great silver color.
    A lovely coin. Congratulations.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great choice, she's a beauty.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one series where not nearly enough attention is paid to the strike.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    This is one series where not nearly enough attention is paid to the strike.

>
    Absolutely, and strike in this series does vary. It has been written and published though, with this 1927-S, that one should not wait on a better strike if a good example comes available.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice example of a tough date above VF. Heck all of them from 21 through 28 are tough above VF, along with most of the other dates from 1916 through 1929.

AU58? Based on the neck feathers and possibly slight luster break in the obverse fields.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

The same can be said about the Buffalo nickel tho it's a little more recognized with that series.

• Options

Full head, full steps, full bands, full bell lines are all the rage but there's no simple moniker for the Walkers and Buffs. A simple full strike would be better for all the aforementioned coins.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's not to like about that one...

Charlie Brown approved.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    Full head, full steps, full bands, full bell lines are all the rage but there's no simple moniker for the Walkers and Buffs. A simple full strike would be better for all the aforementioned coins.

You're right, there is none, Those characteristics are certainly ones that those looking for the best examples should be aware of. It's definitely not as common knowledge as the full head SLQ's or the full bands or full bell lines or etc...

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific coin for the date. This also represents the clear challenge in grading the the earlier dates... including the 23-s, 27-s and 28-s. The 23-s is the biggest problem of the three. I would really like to see this one in hand. The fields look quite nice and I am inclined to call the floor at 58 but I am unable to advocate an MS grade. Seems there was a 19-D posted afew weeks back that I thought was a lock 50 and it was graded 45. My point is simple... it is about the coin as an opinion in connection with the grade seems temporary as that opinion is made at a defined point in time and could change.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    55?

This one got a 58.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the last days when Liberty Seated Halves could be found in large numbers in circulation (the early 1960's) high circulated grade examples were virtually never seen in the dates from 1916 through 1933. Most coins from those years were heavily worn since half dollars were still being actively used until the mid-1960's.

Nice coin!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man that's a good looking coin!

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:

@koynekwest said:

You're right, there is none, Those characteristics are certainly ones that those looking for the best examples should be aware of. It's definitely not as common knowledge as the full head SLQ's or the full bands or full bell lines or etc...

The lack of a "Full" designation is actually a reason I collected Buffalo nickels and Walkers when I started back collecting about 20 years ago or so. I chose not to collect SLQ's because I don't like strike designations like Full Head. I think strike designations place too much emphasis on one strike location.

For Walkers, there are likely no 19-D and 27-S Walkers with full hand detail and probably no 35-D Walker with a full head detail.

Anyway, sorry for the side rant. You have located a nice clean example of a 27-S. There are very few out there. Thank you for sharing.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file