Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1870 Indian Head Cent Variety Rarity Grade revealed!

FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
edited March 2, 2021 5:55AM in U.S. Coin Forum

It's a MS64+RB CAC. Thanks for confirming the Snow number. A friend of mine just bought this coin the other day. He believes it's an S-23. And was wondering what the rarity rating is. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Also feel free to guess the grade.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. You can check Coinfacts for for survival #’s which are a guide, not an exact number.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not up on varieties, other than the pick axe, but that is great example of a very tough date.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Date position and chip looks good, as does the E. Can't tell the O for sure due to shadow, but looks close. I believe it to be a winner. Check out the top left corner of the E. Appears very accurate. Wow, that's cool if so. Congrats to your friend. It's only a 1 star according to Rick Snow's book. Yet, it still gives it a nice price bump according to PCGS CoinFacts.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63 RB

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess 64RB - easier to tell in hand.

I really like IHC varieties but they need to be purchased "right" - hard to get "retail" for all but the rarest ones.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

I would guess that someone(s) needs to be in charge in order keep update to info to estimate the rarity of rarities that are literally impossible to see with the naked eye. I don't know anybody who might be in charge to do so unfortunately.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot help with the variety, however, that is a nice IHC....One I would probably buy if at a coin show. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I would think the obverse alone would make it an interesting variety, but in Snow's book it needs to be paired with the DDR reverse to qualify. Odd in that it's one of the few 1870 varieties that's a obverse "naked eye" variety - in my book better than 1 "*".

Your friends example looks like a Die Stage A S23. The doubling on the reverse might be subtle secondary to the photography but it also has the die crack at 1 o'clock from the shield to the rim, intersecting the 3rd and 4th denticles to the right of the shield (counting from top right corner of shield).

It's a good looking coin that could easily be a 65RB if it has luster - let us know the grade, when you have a chance.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ms 64 rb

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several VF-XF 1870s . . .find this thread interesting . . yet have no idea what variety you are talking about . . . . . . .

Drunner

• Options

Drunner - read my post above - it's the S23...... :D

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

64RB

Mr_Spud

• Options
    FHCFHC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭

Grade revealed

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking IHC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list