Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wait, is that a vintage Babe Ruth unicorn? c1930 Jean Donat DuPont Indiana Sport Avion Babe Ruth

Comments

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 4-leaf clover on the jerseys, no?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Looks like a 4-leaf clover on the jerseys, no?

Anything to be gleaned from the card back?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Unfortunately, I didn't scan the back of either of the hockey cards, looks like I just did a few of the boxing cards. I think I know roughly where they might be so I'll see if I can dig them out and scan them at some point.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Just seeing this. I have to laugh at all the articles. No one ever attempted to contact me. I'm the one that first discovered the Ruth card and I probably own more IS and IS-Avion cards than anyone. I donated the first Ruth to a charity auction and the winner had the card slabbed by SGC (PSA wasn't slabbing them then). I believe he still owns it.

A few notes:

The Indiana part of the name has nothing to do with cowboys, Indians, or the American state of Indiana. Donat/Dupont was a major trading card manufacturer in France throughout the 1930s with an array of subjects produced. Yes, they produced an American West-style set of cards but that was just one of many sets that they made.

Indiana Sport and Indiana Sport-Avion were both produced in 1936. Both sets depict sporting events that occurred in 1935, be they boxing matches, Tour de France, the baseball tour, the Packers/Cardinals game, Darrell Blanton winning the Cy Young, you name it. Indiana Sport is known to contain at least two different color tones for the cards in the set -- sepia and blue. I haven't seen a blue tone for an Indiana Sport-Avion but that's not to say they don't exist.

As the thread above shows, I've made great advances identifying some players in the football cards. If anyone has ANY info on the hockey card I would be EXTREMELY grateful. I've come up with nothing after hours of digging (but I'm also not a hockey guy and I know you hockey guys really know your hockey stuff).

Arthur

Also, re: hockey card...

Belle Jardinier on the awning translates literally as “beautiful gardener” but the phrase itself often refers to St. John the Baptist.

Some of the other text is hard to read but if you make out the words/letters maybe we can hone in on location for the hockey game.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

I translated a few in the beginning and based off of my French periodicals from that era I just assumed all of those were advertisers. I hope I'm wrong though.

I honestly think the only hope for this card is that some hockey Jedi is going to stumble across the image of it and be able to recognize the four-leaf clover jerseys. That would be a game changer.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland

Montreal Shamrocks
    Pittsburgh Shamrocks
    Chicago Shamrocks

Spent some time researching today and those teams were all active at the time period, to varying degrees and in varying hockey leagues. All three had similar uniforms, with a shamrock centered on their chest.

The Chicago Shamrocks would go on the become the Detroit Red Wings.

• Options

I recently got my hands on another babe Ruth Indiana sport avion #60 does anyone know the value??

• Options

• Options

Looking to sell quickly mine could be yours for $999,999.99

• Options

While one can never be sure, I think the card two above this posting sold for 2K.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭

yes this card is very rare
    I have a Panama Al Brown Jean Donat Dupont and in my 20 years of collecting i have only seen one, mine. Its very rare to even see them , jajaj. This is the first time i see the Babe Ruth. Congrats to whoever has the Babe Ruth. Babe Ruth Player Master Collectors are gonna have a hard time getting to one. I will try to send the picture of the Panama Al Brown later

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Just seeing this. I have to laugh at all the articles. No one ever attempted to contact me. I'm the one that first discovered the Ruth card and I probably own more IS and IS-Avion cards than anyone. I donated the first Ruth to a charity auction and the winner had the card slabbed by SGC (PSA wasn't slabbing them then). I believe he still owns it.

A few notes:

The Indiana part of the name has nothing to do with cowboys, Indians, or the American state of Indiana. Donat/Dupont was a major trading card manufacturer in France throughout the 1930s with an array of subjects produced. Yes, they produced an American West-style set of cards but that was just one of many sets that they made.

Indiana Sport and Indiana Sport-Avion were both produced in 1936. Both sets depict sporting events that occurred in 1935, be they boxing matches, Tour de France, the baseball tour, the Packers/Cardinals game, Darrell Blanton winning the Cy Young, you name it. Indiana Sport is known to contain at least two different color tones for the cards in the set -- sepia and blue. I haven't seen a blue tone for an Indiana Sport-Avion but that's not to say they don't exist.

As the thread above shows, I've made great advances identifying some players in the football cards. If anyone has ANY info on the hockey card I would be EXTREMELY grateful. I've come up with nothing after hours of digging (but I'm also not a hockey guy and I know you hockey guys really know your hockey stuff).

Arthur

Belle Jardinier on the awning translates literally as “beautiful gardener” but the phrase itself often refers to St. John the Baptist.

Some of the other text is hard to read but if you make out the words/letters maybe we can hone in on location for the hockey game.

Perhaps this was a picture of a game in France instead of Canada? Quite possible considering the country of origin. I don't recognize the team jerseys.

Nathanael

• Options

@Frozencaribou said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

A few notes:

Arthur

Perhaps this was a picture of a game in France instead of Canada? Quite possible considering the country of origin. I don't recognize the team jerseys.

Nathanael

The multisport set consists of an array of sporting events that occurred in 1935 from all over the world. There are numerous boxing cards for bouts that occurred in 1935, a baseball card for Cy Blanton who won the ERA title for Pittsburgh in 1935, 1935 Tour de France cards, etc. There are much more cards depicting sporting events from outside France than in France so my best guess is that it's a Canadian game but I'm still drawing blanks.

The fun part is that at some point something will break this wide open.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Frozencaribou said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

A few notes:

Arthur

Nathanael

The multisport set consists of an array of sporting events that occurred in 1935 from all over the world. There are numerous boxing cards for bouts that occurred in 1935, a baseball card for Cy Blanton who won the ERA title for Pittsburgh in 1935, 1935 Tour de France cards, etc. There are much more cards depicting sporting events from outside France than in France so my best guess is that it's a Canadian game but I'm still drawing blanks.

Arthur

The card back, perhaps?

• Options

Since this thread is up anyway, I’ll just add that ANY additional info on the cards, the set or it’s subjects is more than welcome in this thread.

While it was started because I was excited to share my cool Babe Ruth find it has morphed into an informative thread of sorts, as well.

And that makes me even happier.

Have a happy 4th, CU

• Options

this picture has been taken in Paris DUBON is in fact DUBONNET (French apéritif), LA BELLE JARDINIERE was big store of Paris in the 1930's.

• Options

• Options

if you want info on this series, do not hesitate, I will try to give you answers (my first post is concerning the ice hockey card)

• Options

• Options

Chaines Brampton are for cycling

• Options

it's in Le Parc des Princes / Paris

• Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium , I don’t have the Babe Ruth , card , this is the only card from the set I have graded .

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Frozencaribou said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

A few notes:

Arthur

Nathanael

Arthur

To borrow the image of the back side of the hockey card from Olivier's sales listing:

The text references the Ottawa team. The Ottawa Senators stopped playing in 1934 and the game pictured should be 1935, but the sweater doesn't match the Sen's anyway. I think the team with the striped sweater is the Ottawa New Edinburghs.

• Options

@GeneralJim said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium , I don’t have the Babe Ruth , card , this is the only card from the set I have graded .

That’s awesome; great card!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Frozencaribou said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

A few notes:

Arthur

Nathanael

Arthur

To borrow the image of the back side of the hockey card from Olivier's sales listing:

The text references the Ottawa team. The Ottawa Senators stopped playing in 1934 and the game pictured should be 1935, but the sweater doesn't match the Sen's anyway. I think the team with the striped sweater is the Ottawa New Edinburghs.

I love the knowledge base on these forums!

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium I do not think that it's Paavo Nurmi on the card (Nurmi is blonde and do not like a mediterranean) mistake of Donat

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium sorry ! my mistake ! he wears a black béret ! 🧐

• Options

@miwlvrn exhibition game in Le Parc des Princes in Paris in 1934 (ad : Belle Jardinière (great store of Paris), Brampton (Chains for bicycles) and Dubon for Dubonnet (French apéritif, well known tagline : dubo, du bon, Dubonnet !)

• Options

• Options

@olivier9862 said:

By the way, it was very nice chatting with you about your Ruth card yesterday, monsieur!

Bon chance!

• Options
    edited June 15, 2022 6:41AM

@miwlvrn said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Frozencaribou said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

A few notes:

Arthur

Nathanael

Arthur

Well, now I'm settled on the Ottawa Shamrocks as the shamrock team, and back to struggling with the striped team!

https://archive.macleans.ca/article/1934/10/15/envoys-on-ice

This link has data for the 1933-34 international tour:

https://icehockey.fandom.com/wiki/1933-34_Ottawa_Shamrocks

Dec. 9 1933 Ottawa Shamrocks vs Rapides de Paris
    Dec. 16 1933 Ottawa Shamrocks vs France
    Dec. 17 1933 Ottawa Shamrocks vs France
    Jan. 20 1934 Ottawa Shamrocks vs United States
    Jan. 27 1934 Ottawa Shamrocks vs France
    Feb. 16 1934 Ottawa Shamrocks vs Paris Dynamiters

I do not believe it is the United States as the team vs. the Shamrocks. I am having a little difficulty confirming the uniform design for the two Paris teams and the French national team for that year/era.

But, the other link I have there for MacLeans is October 15, 1934 which would be the following season, not the 1933-34 series. However, the site that provides the 1933-34 games does not have similar info for 1934-35

All that said, I am going with a best guess here:

1935 Ottawa Shamrocks vs. Stade Francais (Paris).

Stade Francais was the name of the team in 1935 but in 1934 they were called Rapides de Paris instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stade_Français_(ice_hockey)

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

I seem to recall this very card being discussed in a vintage hockey forum about ten years ago. If I recall correctly, I believe the picture was an exhibition game played in France, not Quebec, which threw a lot of people off. I will see if I can locate the link.

-Nathanael

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland

Montreal Shamrocks
    Pittsburgh Shamrocks
    Chicago Shamrocks

Spent some time researching today and those teams were all active at the time period, to varying degrees and in varying hockey leagues. All three had similar uniforms, with a shamrock centered on their chest.

The Chicago Shamrocks would go on the become the Detroit Red Wings.

That's pretty cool because Detroit is one of the original 6 Teams that formed the NHL.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@olivier9862 said:

By the way, it was very nice chatting with you about your Ruth card yesterday, monsieur!

Bon chance!

yes I know who you are ! for the moment you have the best offer as the discussion of yesterday with other ebayers is now closed without agreement. Let me another week and we will talk again 😉

• Options

@olivier9862 said:

@olivier9862 said:

Bon chance!

yes I know who you are ! for the moment you have the best offer as the discussion of yesterday with other ebayers is now closed without agreement. Let me another week and we will talk again 😉

You have no offer from me.

While I made an offer, you declined it. When I offered to improve, you basically said ‘don’t bother’

That was the end of those negotiations.

If you want to open new negotiations, bring a price where you’re willing to sell it and a little more tact.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2023 5:17AM

Well, the negotiations took 9 months but Olivier and I reached a deal. In addition, the PSA assessment is complete…

…and this is my new single top pop Babe Ruth.

ETA:

Clear, raw scans…

• Options

Congratulations, great card!

I tried working out a deal with him on that one too but wasn't able to get to a price point I was comfortable with. Looks like the right new owner has it!

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    Congratulations, great card!

I tried working out a deal with him on that one too but wasn't able to get to a price point I was comfortable with. Looks like the right new owner has it!

Thank you, Olivier is a good guy and he knew he had a special card. I’m happy with how it all worked out.

• Options

I'm still trying to understand why PSA hasn't updated their data specs for labeling cards from this set. At earliest, it could have been produced in late 1935, though early 1936 is likely instead. Like pointed out in various comments on this thread, there are plenty of sporting events featured in the set that occurred in 1935, so 1930 is definitely not correct. Regardless, it is a really fun foreign set to explore. Just wishing they'd finish their research.

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I'm sure you guys already do this, but if not, most libraries contain newspapers either in microfilm or original hard copy. If they aren't available remotely then possibly a person will manually check news print to find pictures and articles of the events since I imagine there was a lot of coverage.

• Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

Here is one I own dated 1936

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options

@miwlvrn

I think the c1930s date harkens back to a different time and
    I’m not sure PSA’s research department is all that proactive with vintage checklists; much of the department’s effort - based on published articles, from the outside looking in and logically - seems to be keeping up with the modern cards as there is a glut of new cards, variations and parallels to ID and create specs for each year. Plus then there’s the issue of two different flips for the same set.

@JolleyWrencher

Yes, that’s a great way to date and identify items correctly - for yourself. However, PSA has its own system in place for the evaluation of research that has its own ever evolving set of criteria and you must meet their burden of proof.

• Options

@miwlvrn

I think the c1930s date harkens back to a different time and
    I’m not sure PSA’s research department is all that proactive with vintage checklists; much of the department’s effort - based on published articles, from the outside looking in and logically - seems to be keeping up with the modern cards as there is a glut of new cards, variations and parallels to ID and create specs for each year. Plus then there’s the issue of two different flips for the same set.

@JolleyWrencher

Yes, that’s a great way to date and identify items correctly - for yourself. However, PSA has its own system in place for the evaluation of research that has its own ever evolving set of criteria and you must meet their burden of proof.

Maybe, but the glaring error with this specific set is that they are seemingly currently labeling the cards in it two different ways, including examples of the same card, without fazing out one method (year) or the other. The two population reports need to be combined into a single report, all under 1936.

https://www.psacard.com/pop/multi-sport-cards/1930/jean-donat-dupont-indiana-sport/130352

https://www.psacard.com/pop/multi-sport-cards/1936/jean-donat-dupont-indiana-sport/172388

This would certainly not be the first instance of them changing the way they do the flips for a set and combining methods. I have cards from several different sets where they changed the data such that when you type in the cert, the PSA website says something different (like a different year) than what they originally printed on the label.

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I hate to be lazy but I'm curious how many other grading companies have ever graded this set, how they label them, and what the real population is.

• Options

@JolleyWrencher said:
    I hate to be lazy but I'm curious how many other grading companies have ever graded this set, how they label them, and what the real population is.

SGC has graded one or two but their population reports are very tough to navigate. Not sure on Beckett for similar reasons of navigating their reports.

• Options
    gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Seems like the Ruth card in the 1930 label (active) would be more valuable then the 1936 label (retired). The card reminds me of some of the TCMA cards from the 70's.

How much did it sale for is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I've ever heard.

• Options

@miwlvrn

I was completely unaware of the different flips so I appreciate you mentioning it and at least as of right now there are zero Babe Ruth’s on that ‘36 population report. As someone considerably more interested in the Babe Ruth from the 1934 Tour of Japan aspect of the card than the larger Indiana Sport Avion set when I acquired it, I just went off the image of the original slabbed copy’s flip (found on the PSA APR page) when I looked it up and typed it in to the PSA system and submitted the card under that name. I don’t think it matters too much, anyway, to anyone who would want the card.

For me, it’s well protected and has been deemed legitimate which is what I personally value and appreciate most about PSA’s service, of which I am quite fond.

• Options

@gorilla glue 4 said:
    Seems like the Ruth card in the 1930 label (active) would be more valuable then the 1936 label (retired).

From the perspective of the Set Registry rules, Ruth cards from 1936 are eligible for the Master Set since a 1936 card depicts 1935 (or earlier) playing time as a current player, which is before retirement.