Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Resurrecting a couple of sets...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been collecting coins, off and on, for the last 50+ years. Over this time I've completed several sets... sold them off to fund other projects... sold a good start on a Morgan Dollar Date/MM set to settle a tax bill (don't ask!)... sold all of my FE/IHC's because I didn't like "the look" of the set... etc... etc... Anyone that's been doing this for any length of time knows that the reasons for selling are as varied as the collectors selling them.

Now that I'm finishing up with a divorce... and buying a house... and recovering from 2 major surgeries... and a pandemic! ...my thoughts are returning to something a bit less stressful and mentally demanding... collecting and rebuilding some of the sets that got me interested in coin collecting in the first place.

I started collecting Lincoln Cents from rolls when I was about 8 years old, but it wasn't until I visited my Grandfathers' Summer home and found a coffee can full of Indian Head Cents that I really got involved in the hobby. All of these cents had been pulled from circulation in the 1930's when my Grandfather worked the counter as a soda-jerk at a local drug store. These pieces were all AG-VG and some were obviously corroded but they went into the Whitman folder nonetheless. Some of these pieces made the beginnings of the collection I started when I rediscovered this hobby the first time. I've hung onto a few of these heavily worn coins, but it's more for nostalgia than anything else. In one of these "rediscoveries" of IHC's, I found a particularly nice 1882. I liked the color and I believe the coin to be in the 35-40 range. So, one of the sets I'm rebuilding is an FE/IHC set in VF-AU condition with one of the few coins I kept... my avatar coin.

The other set I'm revisiting is a Morgan Dollar Date set. As a kid, those big shiny silver dollars really grabbed my attention. My grandfather gave me several worn silver dollars along the way, but two in particular have stayed with me all these years... probably because they were sealed in plastic holders and I couldn't figure out how to get them out! These escaped the "cream of tartar" cleaning I performed on the other silver dollars... it was the early 1970's... I was 12yo and didn't know any better! Anyway, one of these pieces is the one seen here... 1886. I think an AU set of these would look really nice.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

and the coin addiction bug bites again
    glad to have you back in the fold.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ikenefic, was dear old grandpa aware of your involvement regarding his "coffee can full of Indian Head Cents?" When I was a little tyke I kept my enthusiasm for grandpa's old coins on the QT.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Ikenefic, was dear old grandpa aware of your involvement regarding his "coffee can full of Indian Head Cents?" When I was a little tyke I kept my enthusiasm for grandpa's old coins on the QT.

Haha... fully aware! He helped me set up a card table in the basement of the lake house so I could sort through them all!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file