Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NO E in Monticello

So I know about oil filling in . But I looked are every angle with a magnification of ×25 and nothing is there . So what do you all think

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you dont think it is due to a grease-filled die, then what do you think caused it?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say a grease-filled die....Open to other opinions, but none occur to me.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

The die area could have been filled with other substances besides oil. Metal shavings come to mind. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one where there's no E in CENTS. Oil filled is the common ex.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely the result of the die being filled by something. The leading candidate would be grease, but there could be a plethora of other things.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

But wouldnt a oil fill in show some trace of the E?
    I have only been collecting error coins now for a year and I search and study coins daily but I'm a infant when it comes to knowledge. So for all you answering my question I THANK YOU.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoee said:
    I have only been collecting error coins now for a year and I search and study coins daily but I'm a infant when it comes to knowledge. So for all you answering my question I THANK YOU.

A better term is " debris filled die". Go into a manufacturing faculty that has metal forming equipment and you'll see thick residue consisting of grease, oils, metal shavings, dirt, etc. Jam it into a die, compress it under tons of pressure during the strike and it can get hard pretty quickly.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoee said:

As others have said, people normally say grease-filled die, but mixed with that grease can be metal shavings, etc.

You are correct that your missing letter is especially "neat" but the coin is also a bit worn, so any slight surface anomalies might have been worn away.

The bottom line is that there is no other explanation unless someone ground off the letter with a tool. The die does not show heavy polishing on other details next the "e" so it was not polished away.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldEastside said:
    I'd Call the mint and demand they send you an "E" :wink:

Steve

You would have to look at pictures of boats and bicycles, then they may send you one.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

@OldEastside said:
    I'd Call the mint and demand they send you an "E" :wink:

Steve

You would have to look at pictures of boats and bicycles, then they may send you one.

On backorder.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file