Home Precious Metals
Options

NZMint Chibi Silver Coins, A Good Way to Share Coin Collecting with Younger Family?

Bullion_ExchangesBullion_Exchanges Posts: 1
edited February 26, 2021 2:44PM in Precious Metals

We think the New Zealand Mint chibi silver coins are a great way to get younger people, especially teens and children, interested in coin collecting. What do you think?

If you have any younger family members, have you tried to share your collecting and investing with them with older, classic coins? How?

Bullion Exchanges is a trusted Precious Metals Retailer located in the heart of New York City’s Diamond District. At Bullion Exchanges, we have a wide variety of products including gold, silver, platinum, palladium, and more. We offer a wide selection of products appealing to 1st-time buyers and long-term collectors.

Comments

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I have purchased New Zealand Mint silver coins. I like them but the secondary market doesn't seem to. Perth Mint is also a place to check out coins produced for kids -- 1/2 oz silver coins.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

the collecting coin bug either bites a kid or not. getting them bitten is not an effort to undertake.

the "good for kids" is subjective and even may be subject to the changing interest of kids. ex: pokemon for a few years then not at all.

personally, I am bothered by all this special interest material like painted coins, shaped coins, themed coins. besides going against conservative sensibilities, these will either get sold or passed down in generations. someone sometime will have to want it and the limited interest can mean someone has something others don't really want.

lastly, paint can fade.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

these will either get sold or passed down in generations. someone sometime will have to want it and the limited interest can mean someone has something others don't really want.

full disclosure, all my stuff will get passed down to my kid. so it'll be up to the kid to keep it or unload it. call me a hypocrite.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 9:06AM

And now a word from our sponsors? THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those do not interest me - and kids may have a passing interest, but since it is so radically different from coins, it is unlikely to spark interest in coin collecting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

Silver @ $100/oz? Collecting fad coins is not a basis to create an interest in coin collecting.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Adults are actually having these trinkets slabbed! (shrug)

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

These will find their place alongside the sterling spoons & obscure silver fabrications waiting to be discovered in antique stores and melted back into bullion bars.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.