Home Metal Detecting

You had to ask !!!

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I found a great site near home and work.
A municipal building that was a school in the 30's, then a police station [now abandoned]
and slated for the site to be redeveloped.
I ask the Town if I can Metal detect there?
The answer is a welcomed YES...the is no local bylaw against it........................BUT......................
you may not dig on the site.
If you want to detect and mark the locations you can then apply to the Town and maybe you can dig those locations or maybe not.
Oh Well, I had to ask and I can find privat site to work.
boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that is a shame.... I wonder why that would be... are they imagining digging on the scale of excavation? Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

sure you do the work, mark it then get permission then they go dig it up. beware

I really didn't think there would be a problem since the site is to be demolished.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should go ahead and mark those locations
    (After gently removing anything under those signals )
    They will likely never know you dug the 4-6 inches necessary to retrieve the items found with your metal detector if you are careful and don't draw attention to yourself by bringing a shovel .
    As Ricko said, they are probably thinking you are excavating, not looking for silver coins near the surface .
    Good luck

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

@DCW said:
    I think you should go ahead and mark those locations
    (After gently removing anything under those signals )
    They will likely never know you dug the 4-6 inches necessary to retrieve the items found with your metal detector if you are careful and don't draw attention to yourself by bringing a shovel .
    As Ricko said, they are probably thinking you are excavating, not looking for silver coins near the surface .
    Good luck

I agree but It's a very public spot with lots of onlookers.

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

Put on yellow or orange safety vest, like a highway worker. Any lookyloos will think you're doing official work and will not bother you.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bayard1908.... Excellent suggestion... and I have seen it work.... saw a fellow MD'ing an area with a safety vest on... went and spoke with him... when he found out I was also an MD'r he told me he wears the vest to ward off questions. Cheers, RickO

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston I think the ambiguity of the response is indicative of bureaucratic gobbly goop. If the permission to detect is verbal, then do it, pluck your finds, fill your holes and don't tell anyone. If there is a written permit that references an ordinance or the like, get a copy and read it cause it might clarify what you've been permitted to do. Have fun and good luck. We await the fruits of your toils. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Bayard1908.... Excellent suggestion... and I have seen it work.... saw a fellow MD'ing an area with a safety vest on... went and spoke with him... when he found out I was also an MD'r he told me he wears the vest to ward off questions. Cheers, RickO

It's almost like wearing an invisibility cloak. You make yourself so conspicuous that nobody notices you.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

probe with a screwdriver and pop it out

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carry a can of orange spray paint and mark your "targets" like the workers mark electrical, sewer, gas, and other undergrounds.....should work quite well.

Then come back at night and put a dark army blanket over you and dig via flashlight......problem solved.

bob :):)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Ron1968Ron1968 Posts: 45 ✭✭

I’d just detect it and dig it!

• Klif50Klif50 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭

Ah, I'm not digging, I'm probing to see how deep it is.