Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shaquille O'Neal Rookies

As most of you know, Shaq rookies are pretty hot right now. I knew that I had put some away back in 1993-94. I wasn't sure how many or which ones I had saved. I was looking through boxes in my card closet last night and found them. I found 7 Fleer, 21 Fleer Ultra, 6 Hoops, 13 Skybox, 13 various Classic and 39 Topps rookie cards. I had put them in one of the 100 count plastic boxes and put a piece of paper in there with the date and a list of what was there and taped the lid on the box. They have been in that box since December 27 1994. I know I have some Upper Deck ones somewhere. I PSA weren't so backed up I would send these in for grading.
James

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2021 2:30PM

i noticed the shaqs. and trust me, i have a mcdonald's sealed case sitting here w 500 of those 3 card packs in it. pretty much guarantees 30 shaq rcs and 30 jordans...which are also going for crazy money.

doing the calculations seems to be an insta rip. but of course seeing what 80-81 topps bball boxes (non fasc) are going for stops me. lil different obviously, but same premise.

• Options
    Bdal231Bdal231 Posts: 20 ✭✭✭

I went to a card show last weekend. One of the dealers had a box with Shaq rookies. Probably 30 topps rookies. All priced at $10. I can’t believe I didn’t look those up. Missed out on an incredible deal

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad I did his rookie set last year.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@Bdal231 said:
    I went to a card show last weekend. One of the dealers had a box with Shaq rookies. Probably 30 topps rookies. All priced at $10. I can’t believe I didn’t look those up. Missed out on an incredible deal

That's the correct raw price if they aren't gradable to 9 or 10....

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    i noticed the shaqs. and trust me, i have a mcdonald's sealed case sitting here w 500 of those 3 card packs in it. pretty much guarantees 30 shaq rcs and 30 jordans...which are also going for crazy money.

doing the calculations seems to be an insta rip. but of course seeing what 80-81 topps bball boxes (non fasc) are going for stops me. lil different obviously, but same premise.

I loved those McDonald’s cards, had a complete set and almost a second one! Most are gone now but I think I held onto my Celtics, since I PC Reggie Lewis. One of my kids might have the Shaq.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

shaq is still very underrated IMO especially his 1990 Kentucky blues / low pop / will explode some day

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shaq is a major sleeper and so is another guy.....TD....5 championships.

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Terry Dehere won 5 championships??? Oh, sorry my bad, it was Tony Delk, right?

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this was one of his first cards.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

@weaselpuppy said:
    Terry Dehere won 5 championships??? Oh, sorry my bad, it was Tony Delk, right?

Tim........

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent a bunch in last June. Yep still there

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

Tim Du...............

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    .........so is another guy.....TD....5 championships.

His Bowman's Best is over $500, so maybe not a total sleeper.

• Options

@nam812 said:

@UFFDAH said:
    .........so is another guy.....TD....5 championships.

His Bowman's Best is over $500, so maybe not a total sleeper.

I think people are on the cusp of finally figuring him out. I've been buying. Most of what I've bought have to get re-holdered which is an example of the snooze button. Yeah he's not flamboyant like perhaps a Kobe but his accomplishments speak volumes.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have all of his rookies in PSA 9 except the Topps Gold(9 OC subbed before I knew what that actually meant.)I had no interest in selling when they were $10-$15 and won't anytime soon regardless of market price increases. I pulled a few of them out of packs and sent them for grading, hitting 9s....then found a few for what I thought was a fair price. that were already graded to complete the rookie set. The first one I ever got was the Fleer. Top card in the pack and still get chills thinking about the day it happened!!! That memory is > any monetary return to me! I realize I'm in the minority! :)

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's a pre-rookie, but I really dig this card:

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

Shaq's 1992 Stadium Club Beam Team PSA 10 just sold for over 20K. Still plenty of room to grow.

chaz

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2021 4:24PM

@UFFDAH said:
    Shaq is a major sleeper and so is another guy.....TD....5 championships.

robert horry?

eta: never mind. he has 7. 😉