Home Sports Talk
Options

OT: Cruise movies

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

i bet no one here can name this Cruise flick without cheating

yes that's Mia Sara of Ferris Bueller's Day Off fame

yes, i once watched it. ever looked back on your life and thought to yourself, "i really cannot believe i did that"? yeah, that.

c'mon, someone impress me. without cheating.

Comments

• Options

i believe this to be my fav TC movie

if you haven't seen it before, drink before you do and try to keep up

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2021 2:03PM

Not even a remote clue. I do like Cruise movies though.

• Options

generally speaking, i'm not a sci-fi kinda guy

but this one is definitely worth watching

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is a classic.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

Pretty sure this is the only Cruise movie I've watched since Days of Thunder came out. Penelope Cruz is in this one, right?

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@galaxy27 said:

Pretty sure this is the only Cruise movie I've watched since Days of Thunder came out. Penelope Cruz is in this one, right?

yup

watch Minority Report sometime

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@galaxy27 said:

yup

watch Minority Report sometime

Is there a female lead hot enough to make me forget that Cruise is in it?

• Options

That's it, I demand everyone watch Cocktail this instant!

• Options
  • Options

I like the Mission impossible and Jack Reacher movies

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2021 3:18PM

If you ever wanna see what a 5'6" 145 lb D1 Def Back looks like.....I liked it all the same. B) Taps too.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    No

No love for the showtenders????? LOL

• Options

The chicks dig this one!

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

@LarkinCollector said:
    No

No love for the showtenders????? LOL

No love for Cruise, but I've had to make a few exceptions. Forgot he was in Eyes Wide Shut that I've seen a few times also, but it's Kubrick and he's wearing a mask for enough of it, I find him tolerable.

• Options

This is another classic.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2021 4:47PM

Unfortunately I do know Galaxy.

I'm with Perk on the Reacher and MI franchises

My wife's three fav 80's movies are Risky Business, 16 Candles and Grosse Pointe Blank. So by osmosis I've seen each of these charmers 100 times. She can watch the same movie over and over and over. She just falls asleep at different points in the movie and then I get sucked into watching the test of HER movie. Aint marriage a peach

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Another one of my favorites.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Cruise was in a lot of great movies before then, but he didn't acquire the ability to act, and contribute to the greatness of the movies he was in, until he was in his 40's. The movies he's made since then - notably the Reacher films, Edge of Tomorrow, and his movie-stealing small role in Tropic Thunder - have been his best.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2021 6:24PM

@dallasactuary great call on Tropic Thunder. One of my favorite LOL movies of all time. Cruises portrayal of Les Grossman was unreal. I'll buy the first Booty Sweat when we meet up

Until then

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was having some drinks with a buddy of mine from Paramount talking TC the other day. He works on the distribution side. Said TC won’t release Top Gun 2 or the new MI until theaters open back up full. He doesn’t sell dvds or streaming numbers at all but does huge box office globally and knows it. If you were wondering why Maverick isn’t out yet that’s it.

• Options

i recommend Collateral........for one of the few times in his career Cruise was the villain

Jamie Foxx was excellent

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    @dallasactuary great call on Tropic Thunder. One of my favorite LOL movies of all time. Cruises portrayal of Les Grossman was unreal. I'll buy the first Booty Sweat when we meet up

Until then

Love this movie....My wife does too.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

yes, i once watched it. ever looked back on your life and thought to yourself, "i really cannot believe i did that"? yeah, that.

Easy. One of my wives favorite. He still had snaggle tooth then. One huge tooth in the middle of his face.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first Jack Reacher movie is a classic. But correct me if I’m wrong. In the book Reacher was 6’3” and blonde.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    The first Jack Reacher movie is a classic. But correct me if I’m wrong. In the book Reacher was 6’3” and blonde.

Just goes to show you his acting range :D

m

• Options
    edited February 27, 2021 5:52PM

The sports forum needs more Les Grossman

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    Tom Cruise was in a lot of great movies before then, but he didn't acquire the ability to act, and contribute to the greatness of the movies he was in, until he was in his 40's. The movies he's made since then - notably the Reacher films, Edge of Tomorrow, and his movie-stealing small role in Tropic Thunder - have been his best.

I liked him in "Rain Man" he was very believable as an a$$ and he was very believable as a man who learns to love his brother and evolve, I don't really like him as an actor.

He is a great "Movie Star" though. Very smart about picking his projects.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@galaxy27 said:

Easy. One of my wives favorite. He still had snaggle tooth then. One huge tooth in the middle of his face.

One of my wife's favorites too. Once I saw those teeth, all I could think of was a rat.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

I liked him in "Rain Man" he was very believable as an a$$ and he was very believable as a man who learns to love his brother and evolve, I don't really like him as an actor.

He was OK in Rain Man, but sharing the screen with Dustin Hoffman did him no favors. Same with A Few Good Men; Nicholson just stole every scene he was in and there was nothing Cruise could do about it. And seriously, how much of those movies do you remember as being good for any reason other than Hoffman or Nicholson?

Agreed. With few exceptions I've enjoyed just about every movie Cruise has been in. This comparison is a bit unfair to Cruise, but in this respect he's similar to Kevin Costner, probably the worst mainstream actor of my lifetime. I like a lot of Costner's movies, but I can't think of a single one that I like because of Costner. I know a lot of people love it, but I can't watch Field of Dreams; Costner's acting is so aggressively bad in that movie I just can't take it. Ditto for Bull Durham. But I can watch, and enjoy, just about any Cruise movie.

• Options

some people cringe at the sight of his middle tooth, but did you see his teeth early on in his career? they were mangled. go watch The Outsiders from 1983 and look at his pegs then...........the second picture from the left down below is from that movie. now you know why he doesn't seem to care about his monotooth.

clearly he had some major dental work done. my old man is a retired dentist thus i know a little bit about this subject, and i'm here to tell you that no matter how long you wear braces or how much money you may have, there is only so much you can do for misaligned teeth just short of figuring out a way to reconfigure your entire jaw.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never watched a single one of his movies. I did play baseball with a guy named Tom Cruze. He connected once and hit it over the centerfield fence. Got lucky.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

Before he was 40, he gave great acting performances in:

Color of Money (24)
    Born on the 4th of July (27)
    The Firm (31)
    Jerry Maguire (34)

He’s also good in the movies where he punches people and stands next to exploding stuff ever since, too. And as mentioned above, the best performance since he turned 40 was in Collateral.

As a big movie fan, 4th is hands down his best work as an actor.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@JoeBanzai said:

He was OK in Rain Man, but sharing the screen with Dustin Hoffman did him no favors. Same with A Few Good Men; Nicholson just stole every scene he was in and there was nothing Cruise could do about it. And seriously, how much of those movies do you remember as being good for any reason other than Hoffman or Nicholson?

Agreed. With few exceptions I've enjoyed just about every movie Cruise has been in. This comparison is a bit unfair to Cruise, but in this respect he's similar to Kevin Costner, probably the worst mainstream actor of my lifetime. I like a lot of Costner's movies, but I can't think of a single one that I like because of Costner. I know a lot of people love it, but I can't watch Field of Dreams; Costner's acting is so aggressively bad in that movie I just can't take it. Ditto for Bull Durham. But I can watch, and enjoy, just about any Cruise movie.

I agree although I thought Costner was terrific in Open Range. Robert Duvall is terrific in everything.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jerry McGuire and Vanilla Sky.

Vanilla Sky freaked me out, I think I needed to watch it three times to know what was happening. B)

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

I agree although I thought Costner was terrific in Open Range.

In fairness, I should have made a similar statement about Costner that I did about Cruise; Costner did get better as he got older. I haven't seen Open Range, but I'm sure you're right that he was, at least, much better in that than he was in his heydey in the late 80's and early 90's. It was not a large role, but I thought he was very good in Hidden Figures.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

You NEED me on that wall!

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't this like trying to name the good Burt Reynolds movies. Very Few

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

I agree although I thought Costner was terrific in Open Range.

In fairness, I should have made a similar statement about Costner that I did about Cruise; Costner did get better as he got older. I haven't seen Open Range, but I'm sure you're right that he was, at least, much better in that than he was in his heydey in the late 80's and early 90's. It was not a large role, but I thought he was very good in Hidden Figures.

I thought he was believable in "Bull Durham" really enjoyed that movie.

Getting back to Cruise movies like "Rain Man", I saw an interview with an actor where he said that it's easier to "chew up the scenery" than it is to act with less emotion and yet be convincing. I actually liked Cruise's performance better than Hoffman's. even though Hoffman was brilliant in the title role.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Looking at IMDB, I forgot about Interview with the Vampire and Risky Business

• Options

@VikingDude said:
    Looking at IMDB, I forgot about Interview with the Vampire and Risky Business

Interview with the Vampire was great

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

If you don't like Tom Cruise, you will absolutely hate this clip.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=epzMZYPpdzE

Although, he actually did a pretty good job singing. It was his own voice recorded in studio and dubbed into the movie.

https://hollywoodreporter.com/news/rock-ages-tom-cruise-adam-shankman-sings-337974

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the Right Moves is a little dated now but still a pretty good flick.

Not the best actor yet but definitely a few strong scenes.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    All the Right Moves is a little dated now but still a pretty good flick.

Not the best actor yet but definitely a few strong scenes.

Vinnie Salvucci

They did a great job in casting for that movie.