Home Sports Talk
Options

Lebron vs. Tommy

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been a day or more since a new TB thread has started. I was getting a little shaky and decided it was up to me to start one. now, I understand comparing players from different sports is dicey at best, but maybe comparing how each player stacks up to their peers can give us at least a glimpse.

I did some looking over at basketball reference at Mr. James stats. I was very surprised to see that he has not been a league leader very many times. in fact, just a couple. He lead in scoring once, assists once. He does better in advanced stats, having lead in a number of categories, but I noticed that after the age of 28, he was not leading the league in any of those metrics either. it seems Lebron had a window of leading in advanced stats from ages 21-28. I was honestly shocked to see the lack of bold numbers when looking into Lebrons record.

Tommy, on the other hand has been a league leader a number of times over a large part of his career. in fact, not including things like pass attempts, He has been a leader 26 times. Lebron on the other hand, has been a leader only 7 times (excluding things like shot attempts).

as far as awards, Lebron has won 4 regular season and 4 finals MVPs. Tommy has won 3 regular season and 5 super bowl MVPs. so they are about equal in that respect. as far as the other lesser awards, like player of the month etc, Lebron has been awarded 17 times, Tom 30 times. I give Tommy the edge there.

both have been to their respective championship games 10 times with Lebron winning 4 and Tom going for 7.

I think this shows that Tommy is clearly better at his sport than Lebron at his. It seems, at least at a cursory glance, that Lebron has been consistently very very good, but not all that often the greatest at any one part of the game. Tommy has also been consistently very very good, but seems to have higher peaks than lebron.

what do you think?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

My input on these threads are on Auto Reply... Tom Brady is the GOAT”

• Options

^^^^^ultimately, that is the proper response!

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021 8:49AM

I think a lot of people don't like Lebron, and as a result, they view him unfavorably. He is knocking on Jordan's door...and if Lebron can keep playing at this high level for more years, its gonna be a great debate.

Lebron is right there with Brady. You are basically flipping coins at that point.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    ^^^^^ultimately, that is the proper response!

You're welcome!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say Tom is better than Lebron at his sport and Tom could very well end up winning one or two more. Tom looks like he could play until he's 50 if he really wanted.

• Options
    1. that may be pushing it. would be cool to see though. How many professional athletes in the big 4 north American sports played at 50? I can think of a few.
      Satchel Paige
      Gordie Howe

any more?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lebron James plays a Sport which requires him to be on the court at all times, playing both offense and defense at a very high level. for much of his career he routinely logged 40-44 minutes/game. Tom Brady plays a Sport which pretty much limits him to playing half a game. put another way, look at it like this --- imagine Tom Brady staying on the field all the time, while Lebron James only played when his Team was trying to score. additionally, comparing the stamina and pure physical ability between NFL and NBA players isn't a close call.

there can be no comparison made between the two, thinking there can be is just stupid. if these two superb players were brought together to do anything in a competitive nature, Lebron would run circles around Bray, literally. each man has a special skill set with Tom Brady having the more specialized set.

to put an end to this silly discussion, I think no close comparison can be made between these two athletes as to their pure athletic ability. I think Brady would agree with that, Lebron is without a doubt the superior athlete in all forms, and to be honest, it isn't even a close call.

• Options

@keets said:
    Lebron James plays a Sport which requires him to be on the court at all times, playing both offense and defense at a very high level. for much of his career he routinely logged 40-44 minutes/game. Tom Brady plays a Sport which pretty much limits him to playing half a game. put another way, look at it like this --- imagine Tom Brady staying on the field all the time, while Lebron James only played when his Team was trying to score. additionally, comparing the stamina and pure physical ability between NFL and NBA players isn't a close call.

there can be no comparison made between the two, thinking there can be is just stupid. if these two superb players were brought together to do anything in a competitive nature, Lebron would run circles around Bray, literally. each man has a special skill set with Tom Brady having the more specialized set.

to put an end to this silly discussion, I think no close comparison can be made between these two athletes as to their pure athletic ability. I think Brady would agree with that, Lebron is without a doubt the superior athlete in all forms, and to be honest, it isn't even a close call.

Do you think Lebron could throw a football as fast, as far or as accurately as Tom?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady has one narrow specialized skill set, that's it, I won't argue that point. aside from that, nothing, really. as athletes it's not a fair comparison. could Tom Brady do a full court snap pass through traffic, a bullet to the open, moving man?? doubtful. I suspect that Lebron could chuck a football pretty far, but nowhere near the skill level of Brady.

• Options

@keets said:

I am not comparing them directly, I am comparing them relative to how much they dominated their own sports. sort of a black ink test if you will

• Options

@craig44 said:
    50. that may be pushing it. would be cool to see though. How many professional athletes in the big 4 north American sports played at 50? I can think of a few.
    Satchel Paige
    Gordie Howe

any more?

I'm not sure, but I can definitely see Tom winning at least two more rings. Lebron will never be able to win that many titles, and if Ray Allen hadn't hit that three pointer against the Spurs in the NBA Finals and saved the Heat, Lebron would only have 3 rings.

• Options

as far as Brady only playing half of a football game whereas Lebron plays an entire basketball game? well, when Lebron is being chased and hit by 300-350 pound musclebound men, give me a call. Brady will take more hits in one or two seasons than Lebron in his entire career.

• Options

I would make a guess that 20% of the time Lebron hits the floor it is because of a flop anyways

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@craig44 said:
    50. that may be pushing it. would be cool to see though. How many professional athletes in the big 4 north American sports played at 50? I can think of a few.
    Satchel Paige
    Gordie Howe

any more?

I'm not sure, but I can definitely see Tom winning at least two more rings. Lebron will never be able to win that many titles, and if Ray Allen hadn't hit that three pointer against the Spurs in the NBA Finals and saved the Heat, Lebron would only have 3 rings.

I am a believer that every championship team has had some luck come their way. If we went down the rabbit hole of what ifs, I could make a case for brady having 1 super bowl or 9. I am sure the same could be said of Lebron

• Options

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

@craig44 said:
    Satchel Paige
    Gordie Howe

any more?

I am a believer that every championship team has had some luck come their way. If we went down the rabbit hole of what ifs, I could make a case for brady having 1 super bowl or 9. I am sure the same could be said of Lebron

Good point. I guess I've just become a bit of a Brady admirer myself. To play at the level he does is just unbelievable. He lives and breathes it.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about this?

LBJ is placed on an NFL roster and Tom Brady is placed on an NBA roster.

Which of the two would have a better season?

Place both on the USA Olympic Decathalon team.

Which of the two would have a higher score in the Decathalon?

Both are arguably the GOAT in their respective sports, but who is the better all around athlete?

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    How about this?

Both are arguably the GOAT in their respective sports, but who is the better all around athlete?

I recently heard a story told by a former NFL player about a baseball player who was attempting to be a 2 sport athlete like deion sanders and bo jackson. I don't remember his name, but apparently he was in training camp trying out for a wide receiver role. he made a crossing route and got lit up by a linebacker. well, the NFL player telling the story said he was knocked unconscious by the hit. He said he fell asleep a football player and woke up with a kansas city royals hat on, never wanting to play football again.

it takes a special kind of toughness/crazy to play professional football. does Lebron have it? I don't know. I do know that most retired NBA players can have a fairly normal life after retirement. Not the case with many NFL retirees. the problems with CTE coupled with joint/back pain can cripple these former players well before old age.

• Options

If (and it is a big if) LBJ has the chops to take the punishment that is meted out in an NFL season I could see him potentially being a pass receiver (WR or TE) that would be able to make catches that many would not otherwise be able to make simply because he is so quick, so fast, so big and can jump higher than most NFL pass catchers.

Do not imagine LBJ playing in the NFL today when he is 36 or 37 years of age. Imagine him doing so when he was 22 or 23 (no longer a skinny teenager, but instead a fully grown man at 6'8" and 250+ pounds).

Did Brady play basketball at any level? I seem to recall he played baseball in high school.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021 2:16PM

There's no comparison. If Brady ever gets coronated and becomes a king then maybe. Otherwise no comparison.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    If (and it is a big if) LBJ has the chops to take the punishment that is meted out in an NFL season I could see him potentially being a pass receiver (WR or TE) that would be able to make catches that many would not otherwise be able to make simply because he is so quick, so fast, so big and can jump higher than most NFL pass catchers.

Do not imagine LBJ playing in the NFL today when he is 36 or 37 years of age. Imagine him doing so when he was 22 or 23 (no longer a skinny teenager, but instead a fully grown man at 6'8" and 250+ pounds).

Did Brady play basketball at any level? I seem to recall he played baseball in high school.

i believe Brady was actually drafted by the Montreal Expos as a catcher.

• Options

if LBJ had the toughness to play in the NFL, I don't believe he would be fast enough to play WR. He would end up a TE or perhaps an edge rusher. at either position, he would have to add some lean bulk to his frame. at TE, probably 15 or so pounds. that would slow him down more. he would have a great catch radius and leaping ability, but we have no idea if he has hands.

it is hard to find any semblance of a 40 time for James. some have considered him the fastest player in the league in his younger years. the most common story of a 40 time for James is between 4.6 and 4.7. definitely not great speed for a WR. after adding muscle, I could see that dropping to 4.8-4.9. that is all conjecture as he has never been to combine for a real speed test.

• Options

there it is, case closed. 100% they beat peyton and lbj 2 on 2

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    there it is, case closed. 100% they beat peyton and lbj 2 on 2

Lebron, Peyton & Eli tried getting next but they couldn’t beat the three guys playing Brady & MJ. That’s them sitting in the grass on the left. :p

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    How about this?

I don't think there's any question that Lebron is a better athlete than Tom.

• Options

Lebron has been one of the top 3 players in his league since his second season - a run of 17 straight seasons. He was a great player from the second he stepped foot in the league and he's still a great player 18 years later. Tom can't make that claim. In fact, it took Brady time to get there.

Brady's got more championships but Lebron's had the better career.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    Lebron has been one of the top 3 players in his league since his second season - a run of 17 straight seasons. He was a great player from the second he stepped foot in the league and he's still a great player 18 years later. Tom can't make that claim. In fact, it took Brady time to get there.

which player has won more awards in their league? which player has been a league statistical leader more times?

hint, its tommy

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I thought you meant Lebron versus Tommy ''The Gun'' Morrison hahaha would last 30 seconds max. I would pay to watch that see Lebron take a beating like he never endured in his entire life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk1S6YAJQLw

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021 5:12PM

To bad Tommy is dead but bet you he could still woop Lebron anyway could not touch him alive no better when he is no longer alive. He played in Rocky 5.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Tabe said:

which player has won more awards in their league? which player has been a league statistical leader more times?

hint, its tommy

If you actually believed the argument you're making, you'd be hyping Drew Brees instead.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

@Tabe said:

hint, its tommy

If you actually believed the argument you're making, you'd be hyping Drew Brees instead.

It's not even close Brees in a breeze.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2021 5:59PM

@keets said:
    Tom Brady has one narrow specialized skill set, that's it, I won't argue that point. aside from that, nothing, really. as athletes it's not a fair comparison. could Tom Brady do a full court snap pass through traffic, a bullet to the open, moving man?? doubtful. I suspect that Lebron could chuck a football pretty far, but nowhere near the skill level of Brady.

Tom Brady was drafted by the Montreal Expos in the 1995 MLB draft. They viewed him as a legit power hitting catcher with an rifle arm. THat would put brady ahead in two sports out of the big four...and I would guess Brady would best Lebron in ice hockey too.

He was committed to football, and has been said he could have been a late second round MLB pick if that were not the case.

"By his own account, Brady “was a much better baseball player” than he was a quarterback — and he was not the only one to feel that way. “Tommy’s makeup was just so fantastic: the leadership, competitiveness and the athletic tools,” his former coach, Pete Jensen, said to the Globe & Mail in 2012. “I actually felt he was a better baseball player in high school than he was a football player. I told everyone he would play in the majors some day.”

That day almost came in June 1995, when the Expos took a late-round flyer on Brady (just like the Patriots would five years later). “I think he could have been one of the greatest catchers ever,” then-Expos general manager Kevin Malone told Bleacher Report in 2017. ”I know that’s quite a statement, but the projections were based on the fact we had a left-hand-hitting catcher, with arm strength and who was athletic.”

Obviously, Malone was unable to bring Brady to the team: despite his talents and upside as a baseball player, Brady followed his passion and committed to Michigan on a football scholarship. The Expos still tried to lure him away from the Wolverines but were unable to change his mind. “His first love was football,” said Montreal’s former GM about Brady — a baseball draft pick that is now pro football’s biggest star."

• Options

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

@Tabe said:

hint, its tommy

your joking, right?

Drew has been a nice player, but he is no tommy. How many MVPs does little drew have again...

• Options

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

@Tabe said:

hint, its tommy

don't leave on a tangent. not talking anyone but Lebron and Tom.

lebron has had a long successful career, but I have always seen him as a jack of all trades, master of none. very good at lots of basketball skills, but is he truly great at any of them? his lack of black ink would say no.

• Options

one other point. at the end of the game, when the team needs their star to lead the comeback, honestly, who would you rather have? I would rather have the guy who takes charge and demands the ball rather than the guy who is content to pass it off to a teammate to take the last shot.

• Options

How about comparing LBJ and Tom Brady to David Winfield?

Winfield was drafted by the NBA, NFL and MLB. He was a fantastic athlete.

• Options

@craig44 said:

your joking, right?

Drew has been a nice player, but he is no tommy. How many MVPs does little drew have again...

You were making the black ink argument for greatness. Drew's got more than Tom.

@craig44 said:

lebron has had a long successful career, but I have always seen him as a jack of all trades, master of none. very good at lots of basketball skills, but is he truly great at any of them? his lack of black ink would say no.

He's great at pretty much all of them. Great passer. Great rebounder. Unstoppable offensively. Only thing he's not great at is 3pt shooting and he's decent there (career .344).

And if we're talking all-around greatness, how complete is Brady? Can he run? No.

How many years has Brady had where he wasn't a top 3 player in the league? 8?

• Options

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

your joking, right?

@craig44 said:

He's great at pretty much all of them. Great passer. Great rebounder. Unstoppable offensively. Only thing he's not great at is 3pt shooting and he's decent there (career .344).

And if we're talking all-around greatness, how complete is Brady? Can he run? No.

I was using a number of attributes to attempt to arrive at the whole. black ink, awards, winning. clutch play

drew has not won very many awards, never a regular season MVP. as far as clutch play, not so much with Drew.

honestly, who do you want in the 4th quarter or overtime? its got to be brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Tabe said:

@craig44 said:

your joking, right?

@craig44 said:

I was using a number of attributes to attempt to arrive at the whole. black ink, awards, winning. clutch play

drew has not won very many awards, never a regular season MVP. as far as clutch play, not so much with Drew.

honestly, who do you want in the 4th quarter or overtime? its got to be brady.

Tom Brady was also passing in the weather elements while Brees in the dome. Common sense dictates that passing through the wind and poor weather is gong to be harder than in a dome, even if any stat hides that fact.

However, the actual results back it up too: In a dome Brees averaged 8.08 yards per attempt. Outdoors it was only 7.13. He has almost equal games indoors vs outdoors, so those numbers are pretty valid.

• Options

Very good point on Dome play. I am surprised some posters would consider Brees at the same or higher level than Brady. I have never even heard one of the talking heads give a hot take on that one.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2021 7:41AM

Also, there are other sports besides Track and Field where Brady doesn't stand a chance. I'm pretty sure Brady would dominate lebron in Tennis or Golf too, in addition to baseball or football. The tracking and striking elements needed to excel in hitting a baseball carry over well to hockey, golf, and tennis.

Also, for the people making fun of brady about putting him on a basketball team? Brady is very athletic. He is six foot four, and I don't know much about his basketball shooting ability, but I don't doubt he could be a three point shooting guard. He was drafted as a catcher and is the best QB ever. I'm sure he could hit threes and dribble a basketball, and I can guarantee he could play the team element of basketball as good as anyone.

Danny Ainge playing on the Blue Jays probably didn't look like a basketball player either ;)

• Options

@craig44 said:
    honestly, who do you want in the 4th quarter or overtime?

The all-time leader in 4th quarter comebacks seems like a reasonable choice.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@craig44 said:
    honestly, who do you want in the 4th quarter or overtime?

The all-time leader in 4th quarter comebacks seems like a reasonable choice.

You know that is Brady right?

• Options

top 3
    1. Tommy: 39 in regular season, 9 in post season, 6 of those in the SB
    2. Peyton Manning: 43 regular season, 2 in post season, none in SB
    3. Drew Brees: 36 regular season, 2 post season, one of those in SB

seems pretty clear cut.

• Options
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

your joking, right?

NICE player?

Instead of just assuming Brady is some kind of godlike deity, why don't you actually look at Brees' numbers?

Almost all are equal to or better than Tom's. Higher completion %, led the league 6 times to Brady's once. Higher QB "Rate" as well, with Drew having a 100 or better rate eight of the last ten years to Tom's five.

The only number Brady has a clear advantage in is int %.

Then take a look at the Defense that has been there for Drew HORRIBLE!

FOUR top 10 Defenses in fifteen years.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

oh my gosh.

I must have those.

there is only one image of Tommy I would rather have on my Comforter and Pillows.

I bet you can guess which one it is...

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

your joking, right?

NICE player?

Instead of just assuming Brady is some kind of godlike deity, why don't you actually look at Brees' numbers?

Almost all are equal to or better than Tom's. Higher completion %, led the league 6 times to Brady's once. Higher QB "Rate" as well, with Drew having a 100 or better rate eight of the last ten years to Tom's five.

The only number Brady has a clear advantage in is int %.

Then take a look at the Defense that has been there for Drew HORRIBLE!

FOUR top 10 Defenses in fifteen years.

Dome Quarterback. I have checked the stats, and I believe there is an 8 or so drop in QB rating when Drew plays outside.