Home Metal Detecting
Options

A penny for your thoughts

Found metal detecting under a sidewalk that had been removed. Never washed or cleaned. Would you?

Comments

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

I don't see how cleaning would help or hurt this coin. 1905 is a common date. Congrats on your Indian.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Dockwallper. Enjoy as is. Nice find. Now go find the Barber silver.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

id leave it alone to. nice a pick up as well

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyser nice find, the corrosion on the rev is a problem. I would soak the coin in mineral oil and then pat it dry. No rubbing. Put it in a 2x2 to enjoy and store it. The verdigris coloring is normal. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Thank you all. I am thinking of cleaning some of my finds. I will try those approaches.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the reverse... mineral oil as @Namvet69 suggested and a rose thorn to remove the softened verdigris. No rubbing or scratching with anything harder than the thorn. Soak for at least 24 hours, more as needed. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KyserKyser Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Never heard the to use a thorn. Great idea.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyser... The rose thorn will not scratch the metal.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    For the reverse... mineral oil as @Namvet69 suggested and a rose thorn to remove the softened verdigris. No rubbing or scratching with anything harder than the thorn. Soak for at least 24 hours, more as needed. Cheers, RickO

I've also heard a toothpick works nicely after making the pointy end a bit blunt.