Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Fractional Shares in Cards/Memorabilia

2»

Comments

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erba said:
    I gave this a shot today for shits and giggles and tried to buy 5 shares of the Brady cards that went up. I bought right away and got a message that says I was placed in a virtual queue and would get an email if my buy went through. Guessing this is the way it goes with these now?

Not surprising. In the stock market there are enough shares to satisfy everyone, at some price, and on the NYSE there are people paid explicitly to make sure people can always buy and sell (so no one gets caught in a queue). I don' know what the number of shares is on these cards, but it is possible for enough to be in "strong hands" that can't be pried loose at almost any price. But even on the stock market, it is not at all unusual to be able to buy at the IPO and to be forced to buy on the aftermarket.

I haven't researched, but is this market liquid? That is, if price were no object could I right this second buy 100 shares of one of the Brady cards?

Even Gamestop has always (so far) been liquid.

• weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

While the instructional is sound, clearly no one is expecting Fractional Ownership assets to produce income, because all forms of that asset, be it 1933 Goudey, 1981 Donruss, Topps Bunt or Top Shot are non-income producing. So the instructional is also comparing apples and hand grenades (similar size and shape, different expected outcomes).

If you want income producing assets, buy a REIT or a bond or a divvy producing stock. If you want to collect sports memorabilia, do that. You can do both, but not with the same dollar.

• bobbybradyjrbobbybradyjr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

2000 Playoff Contenders sealed box sold out in 15 minutes today. Unreal!

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting interview w/Dibbs app founder.
    All this fractional share investing will continue to spike the value of outright owning the hard asset
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=aBXwTwVcAxQ

• erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@bobbybradyjr said:
    2000 Playoff Contenders sealed box sold out in 15 minutes today. Unreal!

I tried again today with no luck. It's going to quickly, I'm going to give up on it.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2023 2:52PM

Dibbs is done as of today. Seems fractional owners are getting paid out by some valuation methodology. If anyone invested - were you made whole? Or were you only paid a portion of your value?

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks.

NFTs are interesting to me.

The concept seems viable under the right circumstances.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2023 4:43PM

@brad31 said:
    Dibbs is done as of today. Seems fractional owners are getting paid out by some valuation methodology. If anyone invested - were you made whole? Or were you only paid a portion of your value?

So where are all the supporters of this type of "collecting" from 2 years ago?

For all those in 2021 who did scoff ;

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

I was wondering what's gonna happen to ones investment?

They had something like 13M in investments?

Were these all cards or other stuff like NFTs, memorabilia?

Mike
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like Collectable is in trouble and will be liquidating most assets via auction.

This scheme never made sense, you get 1/whatever of an illiquid 2mm asset they value at 2.5.

Which will now sell net 1.5 after the fee investors to death.

More of this to come, I suspect lots in the hobby are swimming naked.

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Sounds like Collectable is in trouble and will be liquidating most assets via auction.

This scheme never made sense, you get 1/whatever of an illiquid 2mm asset they value at 2.5.

Which will now sell net 1.5 after the fee investors to death.

More of this to come, I suspect lots in the hobby are swimming naked.

Wow. Hold on, because there are about to be a lot of deals out there when all these companies start dumping items on the market in liquidation sales. Better to be first than last if you're a seller but all good if you're the buyer.

Makes me wonder when this hits the grading companies and we finally see grading fees fall back to more normal.

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading prices and turn times have improved dramatically. I think we see consolidation- a few of the fringe TPG’s will fold - Beckett seems to be barely holding on - and Fanatics will buy one.

Interesting times for sure.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2023 8:03AM

Give me a snippet of a card...another dumb idea. Not surprised this flopped as well.

mint_only_pls
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Fanatics didn’t bail out PWCC would definitely have been a liquidation on the cards underwater on the loans. Many “collectors” defaulted and let PWCC keep their collateral. . Now Fanatics can let them trickle instead of flooding like a bank would have done. Imagine those cards skew modern which is the market Fanatics can’t afford to crash with what they paid for the licenses and Topps.

The sports card market is definitely shrinking. Would love it if the next few years brings cards back into possible for me that I long thought I would never again afford.

Been collecting for decades. The hobby is cyclical, but if you spend your budget each year and hold onto your collection it has always gone up over time.