Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any difference between PCGS and NGC?

Can you tell me please why choose PCGS or NGC? I want to clean and grade a few coins in the future, just need some basic info, thank you.

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely don’t clean any coin unless you know precisely what you’re doing and how to do it properly. The downside of improper cleaning is the risk of destroying the value of a coin.

As for NGC or PCGS, that’s up to you. They both have published standards and they each have overlap but the standards are a bit different in spots. Be sure to look at the forum rules when it comes to discussions of TPGs.

I’ll just say that for myself I prefer PCGS’s standards and holder. I have not had great experiences selling coins in other holders.

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will do the cleaning, or conservation, how they name it, but it is basically chemical cleaning. So they are close, but you guys seem to prefer PCGS, thank you for the info.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1984worldcoins said:
    They will do the cleaning, or conservation, how they name it, but it is basically chemical cleaning. So they are close, but you guys seem to prefer PCGS, thank you for the info.

I have used their conservation service on two minor spots on a couple Buffalo nickels. EZPZ

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:

@Catbert said:
    White prongs are ugly.

And TrueViews are awesome. :p

Sometimes. Red shifted images are inaccurate.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2021 9:22AM

The differences are quite minor when it comes to the services each perform, I chalk up the market differences mostly having to do with how the two firms have marketed themselves. As you may have noticed the perception here is heavily biased one way, no surprise given where you are asking the question. If you pose the same question on the NGC forum the bias will not be as overwhelming. I am one of the few that post here that is not biased, I worry more about the coin and care less about the brand of plastic (see my sig line). The question you have to ask yourself is what do you want the coins holdered for. If your goal is to sell right away then sometimes you will see higher prices paid for a PCGS coins due to the market perception at this time. If you just want them protected then there are many far less expensive options. If you need the authentication, conservation, and grading but are not planning to sell then either firm can perform that task and it really just comes down to personal preference because what the market prefers or favors pricewise can change over time.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    If you need the authentication, conservation, and grading but are not planning to sell then either firm can perform that task and it really just comes down to personal preference because what the market prefers or favors pricewise can change over time.

Serious question ... when has the US coin market overall preferred NGC coins over PCGS coins? I can't recall a time in the last 30 years when NGC certified coins lead the market over PCGS certified coins.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

Thank you all for the info; I want the authentication, conservation and grading, no selling at all since I just collect for fun and not in the idea of investment. I want to grade even some non precious metal coins just because are nicely toned or are my favorites. The protection that those slabs give is great and I can look at the coins without fear that I will damage them. Also, those high grades are mesmerizing!

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

There is this company that rates either NGC or PCGS coins that most of us are familiar with. They give a rating of A, B or C with A or B coins getting their approval with a small green sticker. It is known to our community as Collectors Acceptance Corp. or CAC. If you think any particular coin is worth more in one holder or the other they will settle your dilemma by making a sight unseen offer for their CAC verified coins.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, their slabs look different.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Yes, their slabs look different.

:)

• Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently (2/20) there are approximately 25,000 more PCGS coins listed on eBay than NGC. Seems to be the preferred when selling.....imo.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2021 4:33PM

@astrorat said:

@coinbuf said:
    If you need the authentication, conservation, and grading but are not planning to sell then either firm can perform that task and it really just comes down to personal preference because what the market prefers or favors pricewise can change over time.

Serious question ... when has the US coin market overall preferred NGC coins over PCGS coins? I can't recall a time in the last 30 years when NGC certified coins lead the market over PCGS certified coins.

I have only been collecting slabs for just over 20 years so I cannot say if NGC was ever preferred at one time in the past. And I never said that that was the case, perhaps you made an incorrect assumption about what I wrote. What I said is that market preferences can change not that they have in the past or will in the future, only that they can. If selling right now you may see more in a PCGS slab; although that is not totally guaranteed, but if your selling in 40 years maybe it will still be true maybe not. The absolute truth is that the only constant in life is change.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@toyz4geo said:
    Currently (2/20) there are approximately 25,000 more PCGS coins listed on eBay than NGC. Seems to be the preferred when selling.....imo.

You could also say collectors want to keep their NGC coins. :D

OR does it mean that 25,000 more people are trying to dump their PCGS slabs. >:)

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't add much except to say that I believe there are some things NGC will slab that PCGS will not, or that NGC has a slight advantage in certain areas of numismatics.

In certain other cases I think that it really doesn't matter. For example: I believe that for error coins the main purpose is authentication, so either one is fine.

But for straightforward grading of most coins, the fact is that PCGS seems to bring more money.

• Options
    Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

The one thing I do like about the PCGS holders over NGC is that the top is flat enough to type and attach a adhesive label to the top to label the coins you so you can read it from the top. When you have a lot of coins, looking for a specific one can get to be a hassle sometimes, even if they are in order. One thing about the ANACS holder was that you could read it in the container without pulling a lot of coins looking for a specific date or mintmark. I do wish it the PCGS top was a little wider though. I had to create my own spacing program in Excel to get the lines narrow enough to stick down without peeling.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    LOL, I just did a search of my inventory on PCGS and NGC Coins.

My inventory consists of 235 PCGS coins and 233 NGC coins.

So I guess I am just about 50/50.

That’s interesting but your speciality even more so than just about any other genre is contingent on eye appeal/complexity which neutralizes the TPG brand preferences mostly. If every coin is unique what’s a holder really matter?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer PCGS aesthetically as well as professionally. No Kool-Aid drinking when I say that, just my opinion as I've had attribution problems among other things with NGC to the point where I won't use 'em and haven't for years.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

*** PLEASE DO NOT CLEAN COINS....PERIOD

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2021 7:38PM

Don’t clean coins.

I prefer and submit to Pcgs. I really like PCGS apps - coin facts, their inventory manager, and submission choices.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS is much better than NGC. True view photo is so good compare with NGC photo.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1984worldcoins said:
    Can you tell me please why choose PCGS or NGC? I want to clean and grade a few coins in the future, just need some basic info, thank you.

Skip the cleaning.

I'll happily buy either (and other services/raw coins too); however, PCGS is by far my preferred service for submissions and 99% of my coins end up in PCGS holders. I find the True View images cheap and convenient for many coins. I like the optics of the holder better. And for what I handle (U.S. coins) there is a strong market preference for PCGS coins (especially when stickered by CAC).

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2021 9:32PM

@Catbert said:

@ReadyFireAim said:

@Catbert said:
    White prongs are ugly.

And TrueViews are awesome. :p

Sometimes. Red shifted images are inaccurate.

I agree with you 100%, but I like having the ability to have coins imaged while still raw. I also think the large images can be useful for varieties. In some cases, like the reasons you suggest, I will still hire a professional photographer to provide additional images once the coins have been graded and returned to me.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@1984worldcoins said:

Skip the cleaning.

When I said I will clean and grade, I did not mean I will do it, but I would pay for it... I would never clean a coin myself.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

So are you gonna show us something? Come on. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    edited February 21, 2021 7:55AM

@Namvet69 said:
    So are you gonna show us something? Come on. Peace Roy

Who, me? I shared some, but not here, since I do not have so many US coins, check my discussion about FM sets.

• Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure about PCGS but my understanding is that at NGC if you request conservation and in their opinion they can't improve the coin they will grade it as is and not conserve it.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Are you surprised? You are asking "Ford vs. Chevy" on a Ford website ... of course the answer will be Ford.”
    Hey, that seems like a bit of a bias. Why isn’t this a Chevy website? Or Lexus?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the PCGS forum. For me, it has always been PCGS or bust (no pun intended).

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS or bust. Go big or go casa.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@MilesWaits said:
    PCGS or bust. Go big or go casa.

I agree, but why? The resell value? Or?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2021 5:20AM

@Crypto said:
    All that said they have more in common than different.

Compare prices and processing times.

I don't have direct experience to compare, but some have posted their experience here.

• Options
    TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

PCGS grading...tight and out of sight
    NGC grading ....loose as a goose.
    Price difference between PCGS and NGC in the open market helps proves this.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2021 5:24AM

@Zoins said:

@Crypto said:
    All that said they have more in common than different.

Compare prices and processing times.

I enjoy the discount on a nice NGC coin from time to time, only to find out there is no way in hell PCGS will cross it ;)

There is a higher valuation on luster at PCGS where NGC is more meat on the bone so there is some spread in the grading Venn diagram between the two but I didn’t want to confuse the OP.

All should be careful buying the luster dependent grades like AU with NGC. Many a meaty AU at NGC will come back EF at PCGS

• Options
    edited February 22, 2021 6:46AM

Ok, thank you very much everybody <3

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TPGS said:
    PCGS grading...tight and out of sight
    NGC grading ....loose as a goose.
    Price difference between PCGS and NGC in the open market helps proves this.

So- coins that are not comparable sell for different prices? Good to know. ;)

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I drive a Denali - I like all the bells & Whistles and resale value. My company van is a Ford and that's okay too :D

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2021 9:46AM

Back to an earlier comment, of the two Buffs that had very minor verdigris spots removed by PCGS went MS65.

I remember the ANA grading class from 2019.

We used NGC slabs.

Of the few series that I had any competence, my grades were 1 point stricter.

The final arbitrator (it was a table vs table competition) was Fivaz.

There was NGC grades, our grades, and Bill's final grade (which counted as the final score)

Each table rotated a table/group final arbitrator and we quickly adjusted our final grade to his standards and won the competition.

Helpful class but we graded to our professors likes and not our standards or NGC/PCGS.

I have no issues with NGC but prefer PCGS.

I grade to my eye which seems closer to PCGS standards. This is important!

In the end, though it takes time to learn, grading can be a fun little side hustle or tuition paid.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

The crossover game, in both directions, have yielded upgrades and downgrades. I will buy NGC or PCGS slabbed coins if I like the coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file