Home Sports Talk
Options

How rough is winter where you are?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember visiting my uncle in Colorado in numerous winters, and the snow was ridiculous. I'm talking knee deep on the mountain he lives on. We always had to use chains on the tires and he had a plow connected to his truck. I live in North Carolina and the winters here aren't too bad in my part of the state, a few little ice and freezing rain storms and maybe a little snow storm every year but nothing major. How rough are the winters where you are?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2021 3:20AM

I’m in the Northeast, I’m in Southern NH and February has been snowy and cold, January wasn’t all that bad, a few Arctic days but very little snow. Honestly the past few Winters have been mild. The Winter of 2013-2014 was absolutely the most brutal in years. I’m contemplating moving to Las Vegas at some point. But for now family and my girlfriend are roadblocks for me.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

We really get two kinds of winters here in Spokane. Every 8-10 years, we get a nightmare winter where it seems to snow every two days. In early December 2008, we got 8 feet of snow in 3 weeks. Oddly enough, we didn't get any more snow the rest of the cold season - no snow during the official "winter" at all! And then we get mild winters where we get very little, if any, snow. We've had multiple years in the last 12 where we got less than 5 inches total. This year's been very mild, with snowfall really only twice, for a total of less than a foot.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2021 5:11AM

A couple of days ago we had a little ice storm, basically some freezing rain that made the trees icy, and people got paranoid and rushed to the grocery store, and they cleaned out the bread, the milk, chips, and soda. At the slightest mention of icy weather, people here panic and they always go crazy and buy up all the supplies at the store. They didn't have my Funyuns in stock, I had to get pretzel sticks!

• Options

@2dueces said:

This is my porch in Texas. This is insane!

I had no idea it snowed in Texas? Just take my advice though Joe, don’t be like the rest of the complete Morons down South who don’t see snow or ice too often and don’t have the common sense to just slow down while driving. I read about huge pile ups down there because people are too stupid to understand the dynamics of snow and ice with driving.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    A couple of days ago we had a little ice storm, basically some freezing rain that made the trees icy, and people got paranoid and rushed to the grocery store, and they cleaned out the bread, the milk, chips, and soda. At the slightest mention of icy weather, people here panic and they always go crazy and buy up all the supplies at the store. They didn't have my Funyuns in stock, I had to get pretzel sticks!

Bread, milk and eggs is the staple for the crazy people. We call it the French Toast emergency supplies lol.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2021 6:09AM

In Maryland, near DC, it's been an easy winter. Nothing like other parts of the country. Not that cold, I think the lowest temp for the entire winter was 24F. We've gotten about 6" of snow total for the season. A bit of ice but not that much.

DC is kind of in a protected area with the mountains to the west and the bay and ocean to the east, it's milder here and not very snowy. If anyone wants to live in an area with a very moderate climate, where it does snow occasionally but not very much, move to central Maryland. We do very occasionally (maybe every 6 to 10 years) get a 2 foot snowstorm, but it usually melts in a week. We don't get wildfires, We don't have earthquakes, Don't get droughts or floods. Air quality is mostly always good, Rarely get tornadoes and when we do they are short lived F0 types, Might occasionally get a far off swipe by remnants of a hurricane, but it's just a rain event here usually. We do enjoy all 4 seasons though, and Spring and Fall are heavenly. Summers are usually hot and humid, but manageable, and very lush green. I sound like a Maryland Travel Bureau, sorry!

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had shorts on in the Atlanta burbs a week or so ago.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Fargo, ND. We don't get snow like other parts (average is 48 inches; this year only half that). But we get the cold and wind chill. Pretty good winter up until a few weeks ago - we had 10 days straight of not being above zero; a few mornings -25 below.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VikingDude said:
    Fargo, ND. We don't get snow like other parts (average is 48 inches; this year only half that). But we get the cold and wind chill. Pretty good winter up until a few weeks ago - we had 10 days straight of not being above zero; a few mornings -25 below.

I live in central Minnesota, the last week and a half has been about the same. Very very cold.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Today it's supposed to be mid 20s. My kids will probably be outside in shorts.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

I live in central Minnesota, the last week and a half has been about the same. Very very cold.

Still hard to complain. Been an easy year compared to last year; last year was brutal

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog This is completely out of the ordinary for Texarkana. We had 2’ total from two snow falls. I lived in Buffalo 32 years so I am comfortable driving in it but we decided that others who can’t drive in sunny weather would be plowing into us so we stayed in. Stir crazy for a week? Yes! Safe and warm thought. By Tuesday temperatures will be in the 60’s. Crazy!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    @perkdog This is completely out of the ordinary for Texarkana. We had 2’ total from two snow falls. I lived in Buffalo 32 years so I am comfortable driving in it but we decided that others who can’t drive in sunny weather would be plowing into us so we stayed in. Stir crazy for a week? Yes! Safe and warm thought. By Tuesday temperatures will be in the 60’s. Crazy!

Ahh I forgot your a Buffalo guy 👍👍

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Bread, milk and eggs is the staple for the crazy people. We call it the French Toast emergency supplies lol.

Even a mention of ice and the grocery store is packed. I saw an argument break out one time over bread. People get crazy!

• Options

My main concern during these ice and freezing rain storms is the power going out. Having to sit around with no internet, no TV, it's boring.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

-35 this morning, three feet of snow on the ground. At least I’m gaining seven minutes of daylight each day. So, a typical February day in central Alaska.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@3stars said:
    -35 this morning, three feet of snow on the ground. At least I’m gaining seven minutes of daylight each day. So, a typical February day in central Alaska.

😳

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

My heart goes out to all the people in TX who are having problems.
    Here in upstate NY t's been cold. For us cold is 0 to 20 F
    We received 2" snow yesterday 2" 4 days ago.
    Earlier this years we had 2 feet in one storm. Since I need to get out I have a 4X4 truck.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2021 10:58AM

Coastal South Orange County, Ca.

Temps through next Friday72-75.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2021 12:26PM

I'll take an old lady out at the knees for the last bag of Funyuns. That bag of Funyuns is going home with me sister!

• Options

This is a boring weekend, no football on TV. I wish it was snowing, at least there would be something to watch. Useless weekend!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'll take an old lady out at the knees for the last bag of Funyuns. That bag of Funyuns is going home with me sister!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

70s here in St Pete, FL. All is good except for how crazy busy it is down here this time of year.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live just outside of San Antonio, TX, so have been affected by all that stuff this past week. About 4-5" of snow Monday AM, then another 2" Thursday AM; 4 straight days where the high was 29 degrees, and rotating power outages Monday-Thursday. Since Thursday at 5PM, my apartment building has been without water, due to a broken water pipe in the apartment below me. The plumbers were here about 3 hours last night, and 5+ hours so far today working on it.

I lived for 3 1/2 years in Colorado, and 6 1/2 years in Montana, so I'm used to the cold, and it hasn't been a significant problem for me. This is however, the first time I've been without power or water as a result of the weather.

Steve

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    I had shorts on in the Atlanta burbs a week or so ago.

I wear shorts every day. Doesn't matter how cold it is. I once shoveled my sidewalk in shorts and a t-shirt at 1:30am in 20 degree weather. My legs just don't get cold. It's 35 degrees today - I'll be outside in shorts grilling burgers later :)

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Born & raised in Ohio, but now live in Oklahoma and LOVE the mild winter.........until now!
    We get "winter" for 2 days then it's 50 degrees or 1 snow storm and it gone 2 days later.
    -10 temp is absurd anywhere let alone here.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2021 4:52PM

I loved reading the replies here, good stuff guys! @SDSportsFan , I hope you get your water problem fixed, I can't imagine not having water.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2021 4:58PM

@Tabe, I am also a shorts guy, I wear them everyday even in the winter. I just can't stand wearing pants. When I was in high school I wore them everyday, and during the winter I would be the only one in class wearing shorts. The other students thought I was nuts. My parents thought I was crazy too. The cold just doesn't bother my legs for some reason.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

mirroring what SDSF said up above, this past week was unprecedented for Texas. I'm in Houston and it legit snows here once every 15 years or so; it happened on multiple days this past week.

my 'rents live in West TX and they got 14 inches with the temp dipping below zero a couple of nights

power outages, water disruptions....................if any Texans drank boone's this past week i give them a pass

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I loved reading the replies here, good stuff guys! @SDSportsFan , I hope you get your water problem fixed, I can't imagine not having water.

Thanks. It's back now as of about 45 minutes ago, at least for tonight. The crew has to come back tomorrow to replace the walls in the four apartments (mine, the one next door, and the two below us) they had to tear out to replace the pipes.

Steve

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:

@doubledragon said:

Thanks. It's back now as of about 45 minutes ago, at least for tonight. The crew has to come back tomorrow to replace the walls in the four apartments (mine, the one next door, and the two below us) they had to tear out to replace the pipes.

Steve

That's great news, I'm glad it's back on. I know it's rough, hang in there buddy!🖒

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

If your carpet got wet insist management bring in a certified mold technician. They set up huge, noisy fans and put holes in the baseboard so mold doesn't start.

You will be out of your apartment for 2 nights, because of the fan noise, they run 24 hours. Owner pays everything.

here's such a company: https://www.servpro.com/

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brutal. Topped out at 73° yesterday. Short sleeves were not an option. I worked outside last night burning tree cuttings until 1 a.m. It got so cold that I put on a hat. Couldn't find my gloves. I think it dipped into the mid-50's around midnight. Burrrr, real chilly. The owls didn't seem mind but they got lots of feathers. Just another day in paradise....... SoCal. Don't believe the nonsense. This place is Heaven on Earth.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    @Tabe, I am also a shorts guy, I wear them everyday even in the winter. I just can't stand wearing pants. When I was in high school I wore them everyday, and during the winter I would be the only one in class wearing shorts. The other students thought I was nuts. My parents thought I was crazy too. The cold just doesn't bother my legs for some reason.

Wasn't allowed in high school but I did in college. That's pretty much where it started for me. My dorm was HOT and I wasn't going to change just to go to class. My family all think I'm nuts, too. Like you, I hate pants and my legs just don't get cold. Hands and upper body do somewhat but not my legs.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021 8:55PM

Looks like a cold front is moving in a week from Monday. It's getting down to 70 but with the wind chill it's at .......oh still 70.

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2021 10:31PM

Obviously the situation in Texas is no joke. Hoping all of our Lone Star friends are staying safe and sound

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do business with a company in Dallas, and was speaking to a rep there on Friday, and she said that the temperature there is expected to be in the sixties on Monday. So that was at least some good news.

She told me someone she knew had been without electricity for four days with no heat, with the temperature in the house in the low forties. And on top of that, no tap water. With no way to travel. Not quite 18th century winter life on the western frontier, but certainly a taste of it.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I do business with a company in Dallas, and was speaking to a rep there on Friday, and she said that the temperature there is expected to be in the sixties on Monday. So that was at least some good news.

She told me someone she knew had been without electricity for four days with no heat, with the temperature in the house in the low forties. And on top of that, no tap water. With no way to travel. Not quite 18th century winter life on the western frontier, but certainly a taste of it.

actually you weren't very far off with that analogy. the number of acutely distressing stories coming out of the state are endless. when you're trapped inside your house for almost an entire week with no place to go.........and without power..........and without water..........and with the thermostat plummeting........you're immediately thrust into survival mode

• Options

Some words of advice:
    1) leave the cabinets open under your sinks (will help to circulate air)
    2) if you have water, leave cold water running at a small stream out of the tap
    3) Open blinds during the day to let sunlight in
    4) Close blinds at night
    5) make sure all doors and windows are sealed tight
    6) bundle up
    7) close off unused rooms
    8) Invest in a generator - even a small one will help
    9) a wood stove or a wood burning fireplace is a good thing to have.
    10) Even a fire pit outside would be an option for cooking. Heck, just have a neighborhood bonfire in the street

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭

Not too bad in Albuquerque. We got a little snow here but it goes away the same day A couple of days it was cold but that too moderates as the day goes along. The temp goes up during the day and cools in the evening which is normal at 5000 ft altitude. We are a couple of weeks away from getting 70 degree days and I too wear shorts all winter long as I don't go out much anymore and natural gas heat is cheap.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the weather for the week, there will probably be a couple shorts days in play for me with mid 60s.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in the S.F. Bay Area things were quite nice today.

Winters can be windy and wet sometimes, sunny sometimes and hardly ever is their snow.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Other than the heavy snow, biting temps, and super strong winds, pretty mild. That is, pretty mild if you stay inside. LOL

• Options

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's supposed to dip to a high of only 69 one day in the next two weeks. I've got my backup generator ready, just in case. This is why I moved from IN to AZ.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weather in San Diego has been beautiful. Though I wish we had some rain. We could desperately use it.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.