Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

US 25 Franc Coin - when the US followed France

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2021 10:12PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone like US France Dual Denominations?

This pattern comes in a variety of metals and was done by Anthony Paquet. I think it's great to see the dual denomination on this. Lots of effort in the late 1800s to harmonize coin values.

1868 $5 Dual Denomination $5-25 Franc - Judd-656 Gilt, Pollock-729, Low R.7 - PCGS PR64 POP 1/0 - Ex. Bob Simpson

Anyone know any prior provenance for this?

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the prior provenance but I will say that's a pretty rough lookin' woman.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    I don't know the prior provenance but I will say that's a pretty rough lookin' woman.

especially with an Adam's apple!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2021 6:25AM

That portrait resembles the wrestler 'Gorgeous George'... Back in the early days of wrestling they had some real characters - and he was one of the major attractions... :Dhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgeous_George
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

150 years later the man bun came back in style.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2021 2:37PM

@ricko said:
    That portrait resembles the wrestler 'Gorgeous George'... Back in the early days of wrestling they had some real characters - and he was one of the major attractions... :Dhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgeous_George
    Cheers, RickO

They still do.
    Edit- it’s rasslin

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Cheers, RickO

I remember Gorgeous George.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

One might think a Gilted examples would be a bit more traceable but it did not appear in any of PCGS Auction listings nor on web searches on the Newman Portal. Good luck if you are bidding on this one ... I love the design and the intended international trade theme these coins were attempting to address. My piece is the J-659 Aluminum plain edge version (PCGS 63). It does look more cameo when in had. Love the concept

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2021 10:12PM

@retirednow said:
    One might think a Gilted examples would be a bit more traceable but it did not appear in any of PCGS Auction listings nor on web searches on the Newman Portal. Good luck if you are bidding on this one ... I love the design and the intended international trade theme these coins were attempting to address. My piece is the J-659 Aluminum plain edge version (PCGS 63). It does look more cameo when in had. Love the concept

This is a great piece! Congrats on owning it!

I was really tempted by the gilt example above, but alas it will need to wait for another time. Some of the gilt pieces can look quite beautiful.

It ended up selling for $14,400.00. I added a link to the lot in the OP.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file