Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Grade Review Service

Saw this referenced on another thread and curious what experience/success rate folks have had with a card coming back with a higher grade?

I'm trying not to be that guy that thinks all his cards were under-graded. I do have one that I was really surprised by and a +1 would probably be in the order of adding ~$1K to the card's value. Was thinking about breaking the slab and re-submitting but just learning about the review service.

Comments

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I broke open a PSA 4.5 1950 Otto Graham. It came back a 6 the second time around which was what I thought it should have been graded the first time. That is the only one I have broken open and resubmitted, although I do have a few other candidates. My brother has been mainly successful in the few he sent back in.

• Options

Any thoughts about cracking the case vs. the review service? Just wondering how often the review ends up with a higher grade. I imagine PSA is reluctant to change too many of their original grades.

• Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

I do stare a lot at many of the cards graded before half-points were introduced. In some cases it doesn't make too much difference in value, but for some cards it's worth the risk of resubmitting in the holder. At least that's what I plan on doing with my top 20...

"...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

I think historically you should hope for about a 15% bump rate (1-2 cards per every 10 reviewed)...my best success was bumping my 1950 Bowman Otto Graham from 8 to 8.5 several years ago. Good Luck!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

After extensive scientific analysis, cracking increases your odds by 87.43% vs review if attempting full grade bumps. If you're going for a 0.5 bump on a pre-half grade holder, go the review route.

• Options

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

• Options

Good info I plan on going the review route

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

In another thread, a warning was posted about cracking and resubbing a serial numbered card (https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1043831/grade-poppage-thread-through-date-estimation/p30), specifically the message below. If you’re considering cracking a numbered card, you may run into this... it’s not clear if they’re trying to prevent crack/resub (“we already graded it a blah, and that’s what you’re gonna get back once you give me the label”) or if this is just to keep the pop report accurate (“we don’t want to issue a second serial number for the same card, so please send me the label and we’ll regrade it” - kinda defeats the purpose of cracking it, though, if they need the original label...).

Jim

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    After extensive scientific analysis, cracking increases your odds by 87.43% vs review if attempting full grade bumps. If you're going for a 0.5 bump on a pre-half grade holder, go the review route.

You told me it was 87.42?!?!?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Sent 4 modern cards recently that were psa 9s for review in the holder.
    All would be several thousand dollar bump if changed.
    One of the four received bump to a 10..Juan Soto 2018 update xfractor auto. Is about a $7,000 difference the last few completed auctions.
    They didn't even upcharge me from express level.