Home Sports Talk

Official Vaccine Thread ??

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a thread for wacky conspiracy theories just curious whos got the shot.

My mother got it Feb 15th after about 100 tries on the worthless Mass vaccine website I finally got her one on the 14th for the very next day.

2 days later she says her arm is a little sore. Now today Mass has crashed the website so it could be months of waiting for residents trying to sign up now.

Some of you card guys probably already have you second shot being you were in an earlier phase due to being in your late 90's.

Or possibly have resistance from surviving the 1918 pandemic :D

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mother has been calling to make an appointment, but the line is always busy. She's been calling like crazy, but there's just so many people, they are swamped.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2021 5:58PM

Nobody in my family has gotten it yet. My parents are both 71, my mother plans on getting it but my father is up In the air about it. I’m not going to make any decision on it yet, I am going to
    be in the last group that would take it anyways.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Nobody in my family has gotten it yet. My parents are both 71, my mother plans on getting it but my father is up In the air about it. I’m not going to make any decision on it yet, I am going to
    be in the last group that would take it anyways.

gillette is the best bet if its not too far from your parents , she couldn't do that even though its close she has a bad knee and wasn't up for line standing . Not to mention its kinda cold for that if you are 79.

We did a stop and shop pharmacy and it was a breeze once we got an appointment

I pinned this link in a browser tab
    https://stopandshopsched.rxtouch.com/rbssched/program/covid19/Patient/Advisory

and refresh and re enter the zip code every time and just got lucky. Side step the states website and just go direct to the local place . A friend had luck doing the same with the CVS website

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moderna at Disneyland.

1st shot 1-17

2nd shot 2-14 (many more side effects with 2nd shot.)

In 2 weeks I should be ~94.1% immune. :)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was Hammer Time

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

hammer1 on 2/28

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

hammer1 hasn't had moves like that since his last colonoscopy prep

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's with galaxy and the dancing gifs tonight? I got Snoop in my texts earlier.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

my wife already has had both shots. but, she is a health care worker.

Me, on the other hand, at this rate I will get mine sometime in the summer of 2027...

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@LarkinCollector said:

What's with galaxy and the dancing gifs tonight? I got Snoop in my texts earlier.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have not gotten our shots yet. We don't want to take one until the old people, medical personnel, teachers, and essential workers get theirs. :*

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

My immune system is like the Chuck Norris of immune systems. If covid tries to infect my body, it would get dealt with swiftly and no mercy.

That being said, i still use the proper preventative measures. Particularly and most importantly, no finger to ears, eyes, nose, and mouth contact when out in public. That is the major way this disease is spread.

All together, i have no fear about contracting this virus. However if it did happen, from what i've read, it would be no worse for me in particular than the average cold or flu.

Therefore no covid shots for me. Let someone else who needs it receive my shots.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

First Pfizer shot 2 days ago, no side effects except a sore arm, but I get that sometimes with my annual flu shots. 2 days later, the soreness is going away. The second shot supposedly is where more temporary side effects occur, I'll muddle thru. Glad to get this done - my nephew's family got it and his wife described her symptoms in detail on Facebook! Not pretty at all. One of my best friends also got it and was in the hospital for 18 days and out of work for 2 months. Good news, they both recovered, but they both said the same thing - COVID-19 is NOT something you want to get.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got the first shot with no problems in Florida. Had to wait 5 hours in line to get the second one. The appointment system was terrible and the delivery system, except for the actual shot, was worse.

I was sick as a dog the day after the second shot, but much better the day after that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    My immune system is like the Chuck Norris of immune systems. If covid tries to infect my body, it would get dealt with swiftly and no mercy.

That being said, i still use the proper preventative measures. Particularly and most importantly, no finger to ears, eyes, nose, and mouth contact when out in public. That is the major way this disease is spread.

All together, i have no fear about contracting this virus. However if it did happen, from what i've read, it would be no worse for me in particular than the average cold or flu.

Therefore no covid shots for me. Let someone else who needs it receive my shots.

This is what I thought in March 2020 when the CDC said I’d only have two weeks of flu like symptoms. 11 months later and I still have it. Suggest you read up on Covid long haulers. We are 10-15 percent of the Covid population.

He won’t say it, but Jonathan Toews of the Chicago Black Hawks can’t play this year due to it.

Eduardo Rodriguez of the Boston Red Sox couldn’t pitch last year because of it.

Please be very careful. You would not want to have something that in my case hasn’t allowed me to drive for 11 months due to severe motion sickness. Or every time you lay your head down at night your head is buzzing like when your foot falls asleep. My left eye just cleared it’s blurred vision and eye pain after 11 months, and my 4 month sinus infection is long gone.

When I first caught it I literally had to pull over on the road because I was going to pass out. This Covid is very nasty. There is no cure.

Btw, I’m 55 years old. 5’9. 165 lbs., and a former athlete and physical instructor. Health food eater and work out every other day. Non smoker or drinker and no health conditions.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2021 6:50AM

Never had a flu shot, never will. Absolutely no desire to get this at all with minimal testing and long term side effect studies. My wife is a teacher and she does not want it yet either.

My folks are getting their 2nd shots next week. First round my mothers arm was sore, pops didn't flinch.

The only way I'd even entertain getting this is if they limit travel and you have to 'show your papers' to do anything. Like this: https://www.timesofisrael.com/govt-said-planning-heavy-limits-on-leisure-to-those-who-dont-vaccinate/

@Goldenage said:

@stevek said:

This is what I thought in March 2020 when the CDC said I’d only have two weeks of flu like symptoms. 11 months later and I still have it. Suggest you read up on Covid long haulers. We are 10-15 percent of the Covid population.

He won’t say it, but Jonathan Toews of the Chicago Black Hawks can’t play this year due to it.

Eduardo Rodriguez of the Boston Red Sox couldn’t pitch last year because of it.

Please be very careful. You would not want to have something that in my case hasn’t allowed me to drive for 11 months due to severe motion sickness. Or every time you lay your head down at night your head is buzzing like when your foot falls asleep. My left eye just cleared it’s blurred vision and eye pain after 11 months, and my 4 month sinus infection is long gone.

When I first caught it I literally had to pull over on the road because I was going to pass out. This Covid is very nasty. There is no cure.

Best of luck to you for a successful recovery.

That's great advice and i applaud it. It's a very informative story based on your experience as to why we should receive the vaccine.

However along with what i've already mentioned, it's fact that this virus mutates quickly. It's very possible that this current vaccine might do little to no good at all, at some point in time against a new strain. I just don't feel like making a routine of getting covid shots. I'd rather fully focus on preventive measures and live that way.

@DrBuster said:
    Never had a flu shot, never will. Absolutely no desire to get this at all with minimal testing and long term side effect studies. My wife is a teacher and she does not want it yet either.

My folks are getting their 2nd shots next week. First round my mothers arm was sore, pops didn't flinch.

The only way I'd even entertain getting this is if they limit travel and you have to 'show your papers' to do anything. Like this: https://www.timesofisrael.com/govt-said-planning-heavy-limits-on-leisure-to-those-who-dont-vaccinate/

Whether someone decides to get the covid shot or not, in my view we should all learn to practice preventative measures. Not only against this current strain of covid and very likely new strains in the future, but against the regular flu and cold virus as well.

Don't forget the regular flu virus can be deadly as well.

• 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took the Astra zeneca shot ( I live in Europe), i was a mess for an evening, shaking and feeling like I got a flu, I took an ibuprofen and the shaking disappeared , no other symptoms at all.

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2021 7:54AM

@stevek said:

@DrBuster said:

Whether someone decides to get the covid shot or not, in my view we should all learn to practice preventative measures. Not only against this current strain of covid and very likely new strains in the future, but against the regular flu and cold virus as well.

With my wife, she is like her father. Her pops has had a very bad reaction the last 2 times he got the flu shot and now he won't get them anymore. The last one had him in the hospital for a week. She's leary of the vaccine for now.

She's all mask all the time when she's out and about and I wear mine when I go to the places required to it. My outings are to basically 4 places now - grocery/gas/restaraunts/gym.

edited February 19, 2021 8:25AM

@DrBuster said:

@stevek said:

@DrBuster said:

With my wife, she is like her father. Her pops has had a very bad reaction the last 2 times he got the flu shot and now he won't get them anymore. The last one had him in the hospital for a week. She's leary of the vaccine for now.

She's all mask all the time when she's out and about and I wear mine when I go to the stores required to it. My outings are to basically 4 places now - grocery/gas/restaraunts/gym.

But don't get a false sense of security with the mask. Not to go into a long dissertation, but masks actually don't do all that much in preventing this disease from spreading. As mentioned, it is our own fingers that are our worst enemy when it comes to spreading this disease.

Frankly, unless we've been holed up in a cave somewhere with no human contact for the past year, basically everyone has already been exposed to this disease. If an infected person sneezes through their mask, this virus is much smaller than a regular flu virus, it goes right thru the mask, and can stay in the air for many minutes if not longer. So at some point, we all have breathed in at least some of this virus.

The good news is with a healthy immune system, say we breathed in a few thousand of these invaders at the grocery store or wherever, our immune system is already powerful enough to rapidly kill them.

So the big problem is not with exposure to it but the amount of exposure. For example an infected person wipes his runny nose with his hand and then touches a door handle leaving a whole droplet on there, and then we touch the droplet on the door handle and then touch our nose to scratch an itch, it's then millions if not billions of these invaders just quickly entered our body, and then even a healthy immune system may not be able to fight it off completely.

The vaccine does help our immune system to more quickly recognize the virus and send the resources in to kill it before those millions of covid multiply and then turn into trillions and overwhelms our body. Time is of the essence when it comes to a large invasion of these bad boys. So i would never say to anyone not to get the vaccine, especially the elderly or those with compromised immune systems. However even with the vaccine, we should all take preventative measures because ya never know it it's a recently mutated droplet strain on that door handle. Best not to transmit that infected droplet into our body in the first place. :)

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I can survive the Anthrax vaccines, this should be cake.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've gotten both shots through my work. Rest of my family has gotten the first shot with their second ones the first week of March.

edited February 20, 2021 3:51PM

Stevek and others who refuse the vaccine. Just so you know. Read that article. It’s not a lie. It’s the real deal.

@Goldenage said:
    Stevek and others who refuse the vaccine. Just so you know. Read that article. It’s not a lie. It’s the real deal.

I read it and fully agree that this virus is both dangerous and unpredictable. Dangerous we already know, and doctors are still learning about its lingering affects.

I mentioned "exposure" before, and i'll expound on that a bit. Back in the summer, i used my usual precautions, but after coming home from the grocery store, maybe it was around six hours later, i started feeling in a bad way that i've never felt before.

I can't recall the last time i had a headache, it's been many years. I keep aspirin in the medicine cabinet, but never use it. I figure if a guest has a headache, i'll have something to offer.

So anyway, around six hours later i'm getting a headache, but it didn't feel like any other type of headache i've ever had. Also my nose started running slightly. Both are classic early warning symptoms of a covid infection.

Frankly, i got a little bit hissed off. Despite my best precautions, this thing beat me. And i mentally prepared for the worst. I figured someone infected sneezed in the supermarket and bad luck minutes later i walked the same path and breathed in those germs still circulating in the air.

Well without taking anything for it, around two hours later after the symptoms arose, the headache and sniffles were completely gone. I'm convinced it was my immune system that while it took some time to recognize the disease, once it did, it quickly obliterated it.

I think we probably all know that a vaccine is an injection of a weakened form of a disease. So your immune system learns to recognize it quickly, and kill it if you're exposed to the full strength disease, before it can wreak havoc on your body.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the same thing, but i'm thinking that the experience i had, may have possibly been an equivalent to a vaccine shot. My immune system had the experience with the disease, and will next time remember it instantly if it tries invading again.

But thanks for the article and others can learn from it as well. Then everyone can make their own informed choice about how to proceed.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news, my mother is getting her first shot this Sunday at a Walgreens!

@stevek I love how you believe what you posted about your immune system. I’ve never heard anyone describe anything like that in that way before. Very interesting and cool. In my thought process I’ve always said that working in the jail for 20 years probably built up my immune system pretty good, I do take Garlic and Vitamin D along with a fistful of other vitamins but I heard Garlic and Vitamin D are good for immune system so I’m hoping that helps as well. I’m hoping to avoid this Covid thing but I will tell you I believe it was probably around before everyone started realizing it was a thing, I believe it’s dangerous but not to everyone.

@perkdog said:
    @stevek I love how you believe what you posted about your immune system. I’ve never heard anyone describe anything like that in that way before. Very interesting and cool. In my thought process I’ve always said that working in the jail for 20 years probably built up my immune system pretty good, I do take Garlic and Vitamin D along with a fistful of other vitamins but I heard Garlic and Vitamin D are good for immune system so I’m hoping that helps as well. I’m hoping to avoid this Covid thing but I will tell you I believe it was probably around before everyone started realizing it was a thing, I believe it’s dangerous but not to everyone.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/vitamin-d-other-everyday-vitamins-could-counter-coronavirus-effects-report

Vitamin D, other everyday vitamins could counter coronavirus effects

@perkdog said:

Also...garlic is one of the finest foods that we can use as a supplement in our diet. I happen to like the taste as well.

I have found the garlic root to be superior to the garlic leaves.

You are right that working in a place such as that can strengthen your immune system over the years. I've been reading more about our immune system during this covid pandemic, and it is quite a remarkable "system" indeed. People take it for granted, but it keeps us alive.

If you ever saw the movie or read the famous book titled War of the Worlds, by H G Wells. Spoiler alert...It wasn't our advanced weapons that stopped the Martian invaders, it was tiny microbes that killed them because they had no immunity being from another planet. :)

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

Also...garlic is one of the finest foods that we can use as a supplement in our diet. I happen to like the taste as well.

You are right that working in a place such as that can strengthen your immune system over the years. I've been reading more about our immune system during this covid pandemic, and it is quite a remarkable "system" indeed. People take it for granted, but it keeps us alive.

If you ever saw the movie or read the famous book titled War of the Worlds, by H G Wells. Spoiler alert...It wasn't our advanced weapons that stopped the Martian invaders, it was tiny microbes that killed them because they had no immunity being from another planet. :)

The 1953 original is one of my favorite movies, the remake with Tom Cruise is a pretty good remake.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will take the Vaccine but will wait a while longer so people in higher risk categories can have a chance to get theirs first.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

I believe we are in a downward trend.

But, soon to be another upward spike due to the mutating viruses ( Great Britain, South Africa, and California). Last two of which are showing to be resistant to the vaccine.

edited February 26, 2021 11:22AM

I couldn't wait to get the Moderna vaccine. Pushed to get it as early as I could. I was thrilled to get my second shot 2 weeks ago.

12 days after the second my arm is still red (pink) around the injection site. Everything I've read says it should be gone in a week.

3 days after my shot my non injection arm started a constant twitching in my bicep. Every second it noticeably twitches, and I feel it. Lasts up to 30 minutes. 5 times a day. Try concentrating or sleeping when every second it feels like you're being lightly pinched. Major annoyance. I've never had a twitch before.

One of my neighbors got pneumonia a week after the second shot, according to the doctors at the hospital he was admitted to, they said it was probably caused by the second injection. From what I've read the worst side effects (Bell's Palsy, etc) happen after the second shot.

I believe you're 90% immune 2 weeks after your first shot. For me it's not worth the extra 4% of immunity to get the second shot.

If I knew this might happen I would've stopped at the first shot.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

The 1953 original is one of my favorite movies, the remake with Tom Cruise is a pretty good remake.

the thing with tom cruise is he is so damn weird but he doesn't make bad movies. You think oh this idiot is a loon but you watch and think ok i have to give it to you tom you are very good at your job

kinda like brady actually , no one wants to hang out with him hes a damn weirdo but he delivers on the field

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

the thing with tom cruise is he is so damn weird but he doesn't make bad movies. You think oh this idiot is a loon but you watch and think ok i have to give it to you tom you are very good at your job

kinda like brady actually , no one wants to hang out with him hes a damn weirdo but he delivers on the field

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

100% Agreed. Cruise is a great actor

i mentioned in another thread that Cruise is my fav actor............maybe of all time, but there's no denying what a nut he can be away from the screen

i will say this, however. i have a friend who met him in person years ago and she was blown away with how nice he was

edited February 26, 2021 2:10PM

Yay, vaccines!

edited February 26, 2021 1:57PM

my apologies for sabotaging, bronco

will create an OT thread

edited February 26, 2021 2:14PM

Nope, not getting it until I'm forced to. I'm not in a risk category and pretty sure I already had it last winter. For me it was nothing more than a bad flu for a few days w/lingering lethargy for a couple weeks. My grandmother already got her doses with no side effects.

@hammer1 said:
    I couldn't wait to get the Moderna vaccine. Pushed to get it as early as I could. I was thrilled to get my second shot 2 weeks ago.

12 days after the second my arm is still red (pink) around the injection site. Everything I've read says it should be gone in a week.

3 days after my shot my non injection arm started a constant twitching in my bicep. Every second it noticeably twitches, and I feel it. Lasts up to 30 minutes. 5 times a day. Try concentrating or sleeping when every second it feels like you're being lightly pinched. Major annoyance. I've never had a twitch before.

One of my neighbors got pneumonia a week after the second shot, according to the doctors at the hospital he was admitted to, they said it was probably caused by the second injection. From what I've read the worst side effects (Bell's Palsy, etc) happen after the second shot.

I believe you're 90% immune 2 weeks after your first shot. For me it's not worth the extra 4% of immunity to get the second shot.

I’ve had Covid symptoms for 11 months and muscle twitching for five of the eleven. I’m a Covid long hauler. We are 10-15 percent of the population.

@Goldenage said:

@hammer1 said:

I’ve had Covid symptoms for 11 months and muscle twitching for five of the eleven. I’m a Covid long hauler. We are 10-15 percent of the population.

Did you get any relief for the muscle twitching?

If so, what resolved it?

edited February 26, 2021 5:23PM

Yes, it’s gone. Time, lots of water, and rest. Believe it or not, water and moisture is a huge key in attacking this viral inflammation. Along with 2000 iu daily of vitamin d3. Tuna for vitamin b. Mixed nuts for magnesium. Oysters for zinc, and ginger and turmeric powder mixed in my water.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, my dentist, and his father (a physician) don’t plan on getting vaccinated until the astrazeneca version is available. They prefer the older technology.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me!