Home Precious Metals
Options

"Over the Rainbow" Silver Bar from OZ Mint

I was fortunate to be able to take a tour of a small mint that does silver & gold bullion.
The mint is OZ Mint as in "wizard of" not ounce, that is why I named this bar "Over the Rainbow."
They also have an old surplus press from the S.F. mint that they use for their silver rounds.
While on tour we walked past a bin scrap of silver, there was a long piece of extruded stock that had some color.
I asked why it was there or what happened to it. They said it was an error when their extruding machine blew a cooling line. They said "we will just melt it back down and run it through again." At that point I asked them if they would set it aside and let me purchase it, they agreed. The piece of stock was 143 ounces and the color was only in the center of it, both ends were silver in color. I didn't know how we could cut it for an exact weight like a 100 oz bar so we cut it for the color, the bar turned out to weigh 71.2 ounces. I asked them what caused the color change and they were unsure and said it happened when the machine malfunctioned and that .999 fine should not tone like that when heated or extruded. They said it is a one of a kind error unless the machine breaks down and somehow duplicates it again. Any discoloration would be impurities but there are none in .999 fine. This bar was made in 2021 and came out of the machine like this, it did not sit around and tone over time. I am not a bullion or bar collector but this caught my eye for sure. I have never seen a silver bar with color like this. If you notice the edge is even colored. The bar also has an arch or curve to it. The back of the bar is untoned.

If anyone knows about color changes while extruding your comments would be appreciated.
If this process was able to be duplicated consistently would you buy a silver bar with this type of color?
I know this is an odd ball weight and a unique bar, any idea if this would bring a premium over spot & how much over?
Any questions, comments or input is much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

conviction buy

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Beautiful!

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

An oddity for sure, and beautiful colors. Not something I would buy though, because I would be concerned with resale difficulties.

Probably would not buy a bullion bar that was colored even if the process was perfected; I don't tend to buy the 'gimmick' rounds or coins either. (curved coins? not for me.)

----- kj
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find this bar attractive in many ways and I’m more than sure others feel the same. A very cool toning pattern and an unusual type of bar.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does 'appear' there is some type of residue in the 'tracks' in each picture...not sure if that would cause the tarnish. Not an item that would appeal to me, but certainly interesting for discussion. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool !

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably something else it the machinery got hot and created a vapor that deposited a gradient layer onto the bar. It looks cool

Mr_Spud

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just tarnish.

thefinn
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have named it "snakeskin."

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2021 2:43PM

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people would be willing to pay for that effect, tarnish or not.

however, I would attempt to preserve the look with a thin layer of polyurethane.

however much I now complain about selling 100 oz bars, I'd be will to buy the one shown or a 100oz bar if they could make them, or even 10x 10 oz.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah :) I never seen silver bars like that.
    I really like it.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the great comments so far, much appreciated! :)

@tincup "Probably would not buy a bullion bar that was colored even if the process was perfected."

@MsMorrisine "I'd be willing to buy the one shown or a 100oz bar if they could make them, or even 10x 10 oz."

Thanks for the additional insight. :)
    It may not be able to be duplicated but it may be worth the effort if there is a market for it.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko "Not an item that would appeal to me."

Not ricko approved...... how did I know that? :D:D