Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Topps Project 70

2»

Comments

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭

The Alonso card is busy but looks pretty cool.

Agreed that Project 70 isn't for everyone, but for those tired of overpriced modern wax/cards it is a nice alternative.

• PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

I like most of them, but then again, I haven't collected in ages. These were a better/easier sell on the art-loving wife who actually knows of some of the artists. So, I can get away with collecting these w/o so much "huh?" grief... Works for me. My goal is to get 'em all. lol

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently picked up a couple of the Acuna cards (286 and 335.) I really like them both.

• bobbybradyjrbobbybradyjr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

I am intrigued by this one. I wish the asterisks were not on his eyes but I understand what the artist is trying to accomplish.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbybradyjr said:
    I wish the asterisks were not on his eyes but I understand what the artist is trying to accomplish.

>

i think the asterisks signify the disgust both the artist and maris have w/ topps still not being able to produce centered cards in this day and age, right? 😉

edited July 22, 2021 1:06PM

Good point👍

You would think that in 2021 all card makers would be able to offer centered cards. Guess not.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

In regards to project 70, is there a certain player list the artists choose from or is it just who they pick on their own? I would really like to see a Frank Robinson card. The man is a hof'er who accomplished just about every baseball goal there is. Also noticeably missing from the Project 70 slate is Pete Rose, does this pertain to his ban from baseball?

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    In regards to project 70, is there a certain player list the artists choose from or is it just who they pick on their own? I would really like to see a Frank Robinson card. The man is a hof'er who accomplished just about every baseball goal there is. Also noticeably missing from the Project 70 slate is Pete Rose, does this pertain to his ban from baseball?

I don't know, but if Dock Ellis is eligible. . .

It's entirely possible that some players are prohibited because Topps doesn't have the rights to use their images.

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@LandrysFedora said:

I don't know, but if Dock Ellis is eligible. . .

It's entirely possible that some players are prohibited because Topps doesn't have the rights to use their images.

Good point regarding Dock Ellis. As you also said it may come down to the rights to use their likenesses. I never thought about that.

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@picklepete said:
    I've purchased some of the Alex Pardee ones.. I enjoy that crazy / morbid / comic book type..
    I got the eck, trout, r.johnson & r.fingers
    Definitely different.

And my only Project 20

Back from the National..
    Had to get this signed. (Use baby powder be4 getting auto)
    Looks sweet..

A good last few days if you are a Yankee fan/collector:

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@picklepete

gonna have to go out and get that eck. no need to knock the p70 cards i dont like, but must say that i really, really like that one. thank you for posting it!

• weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Welp, guess there will be no Project 75...

Here are some of the rainbow foils I've gotten to date. Really like some and others not so much.

Last 2 didn't fit on my little table!
    (Images are from phone and not great quality.)

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are some of the rainbow foils I've gotten to date.

How are you getting those foils? I would guess on eBay - I did get 1 sent to me as a gift - but that's the only one.

The last one I picked up was simple in design.

Mike
    edited August 31, 2021 9:38AM

@Stone193 No, no EB, not a penny paid. Just getting some luck on purchases from Topps and these get included randomly in orders. I have around 7 extra Mantles (not foils) as well since I sometimes double up on his Project70 cards just because he's Mickey!

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭

Here are a couple of my favorite player:

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭

@pdub1819 said:
    Here are a couple of my favorite player:

I never liked the 1988 Topps Design, but that first Clemente looks cool.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
    edited May 6, 2022 11:21AM

Update, just finished the whole set 1-936 (actually only 935 cards since 1 was canceled due to copyright.) Not sure if that is an accomplishment but sure was expensive! lol Scored 55 various /70 rainbow foils during the run too, but never lucky enough to get a 1/1. Didn't buy any of the /51 parallels as getting the base set was enough $$$ already!

I do have some dupes since one order (of 12) was doubled because of network issues at topps site and I bought 6 extra mantle cards along the way.

Anyway, sure not much interest but figured I'd close it out with an update. And the #935 Mantle is great!

Edit: #935 Mantle by Alex Pardee (if I'm going to say it's great (like Tony the Tiger!) then I should at least post a pic!

Peace.

David

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PastaBoy said:
    Update, just finished the whole set 1-936 (actually only 935 cards since 1 was canceled due to copyright.) Not sure if that is an accomplishment but sure was expensive! lol Scored 55 various /70 rainbow foils during the run too, but never lucky enough to get a 1/1. Didn't buy any of the /51 parallels as getting the base set was enough $$$ already!

I do have some dupes since one order (of 12) was doubled because of network issues at topps site and I bought 6 extra mantle cards along the way.

Anyway, sure not much interest but figured I'd close it out with an update. And the #935 Mantle is great!

Peace.

David

Congrats David! Had the sets been less expansive (2020 and 70) I would have attempted the same. I cannot imagine how great it would look to somehow have them all in an album (though that is not practical as it would require you to remove them all from their case). I consider completing the set a pretty major accomplishment.

So many ways to look at them together - by artist, by player, by Topps year that inspired them. This is a set you can truly enjoy.

@PastaBoy said:
    Update, just finished the whole set 1-936 (actually only 935 cards since 1 was canceled due to copyright.)

Which one was canceled?

@daltex said:

Which one was canceled?

#634 Ohtani by Solefly

@PastaBoy said:

@daltex said:

Which one was canceled?

#634 Ohtani by Solefly

No pictures? I suppose that is too much to ask.

@daltex said:

No pictures? I suppose that is too much to ask.

Of 634? Well it was never actually produced but did locate some pics from one of those ebay pre-sale folks. Looks like Solefly copied a Manga art a bit too closely:

image634 cancelled
    imageCopied off this...

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't even try to hide the fact that he was copying the artwork. Ohtani doesn't even throw left-handed.

edited January 13, 2023 9:12AM

To not make a new thread and finish this up, finally received the 18x24 poster promos for 16 of the artists. Here is an example for Ron English:

And that's a wrap. Been fun. Now need some decent frames. :)