Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Topps Project 70

The first cards drop today. Could be fun.

https://www.topps.com/project70

Comments

• bobbybradyjrbobbybradyjr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2021 12:18PM

I like the Ruth. The others, not so much.

• 19591959 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Peter Max

• burghmanburghman Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭

51 artists, 20 cards each, $19.99 per card (or $17-ish if you buy the 3 card bundle). Kudos to anyone who tries for the full set at that price.

Jim

• @burghman said:
    51 artists, 20 cards each, $19.99 per card (or $17-ish if you buy the 3 card bundle). Kudos to anyone who tries for the full set at that price.

I may buy a few here and there direct from Topps.

I will be interested to see what the new artists come up with.

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I will buy a few especially the Mike Trout. The Rainbow Foil is a nice addition.
    Rainbow Foil editions /70 randomly inserted into each card’s print run.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was very excited about Project 2020 until it was revealed there were 400 cards. This now has 1000 cards. I really like these but at $20 a pop out of my price range to get enough to feel like I have a good representation of the set.

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t like most of the p2020 cards but those Ermsy cards are very nice. That Tatis is pretty cool....majority of cards have terrible photos so I’m not going to get fussed about an artist (ben baller sucks and isn’t one) doing an interpretation of a great player.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol that’s your best post ever!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2021 8:41PM

love some of these artists names.

think i'm going to start posting as "bobby food stamps "

edited February 18, 2021 7:15PM

I am amazed at some of these artists names and their work.

Not many are my cup of tea, but it is interesting to see what is going on our there.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

after i looked at the 2020 project I realized that I really don't understand art. '

at all.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Picked up the Acuna/Snoop Dogg.

Very clean look, like. That Tatis was nice but very busy. Not for me.

• Well, this is a colorful card of one of my all time favorites:

• I don't fully understand how these cards are presented. Are people going to be sending these cards into PSA for grading or are they already encapsulated by Topps and not suitable for submission to PSA?

• burghmanburghman Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭

@bumpskier said:
    I don't fully understand how these cards are presented. Are people going to be sending these cards into PSA for grading or are they already encapsulated by Topps and not suitable for submission to PSA?

Project 2020 cards were in one touch holders with a sticker "sealing" them and they can be easily removed from their holders. They're 130 point cards, I think, and the general feeling on the BO forums was to leave them as is (PSA can be tough on thick cards, apparently?). PSA has graded 1300+, though, so someone sent the P2020s in - I'd imagine some will send in P70 as well.

Jim

• bumpskierbumpskier Posts: 65 ✭✭

How should one send in Project 2020 or Project 70 cards to PSA for grading? Should they be left in the case sent by Topps or should they be removed and put in something. I assume they are too thick for a Card Saver I.

i bought one of the side projects by one of the project 70 artists, i think.

don't know exactly what it is, but i like it. great play on his nickname...

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bumpskier said:
    How should one send in Project 2020 or Project 70 cards to PSA for grading? Should they be left in the case sent by Topps or should they be removed and put in something. I assume they are too thick for a Card Saver I.

I use CS 4s.

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

no thanks. I learned my lesson the first time with Topps 2020.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2021 12:15AM

@blurryface said:
    i bought one of the side projects by one of the project 70 artists, i think.

don't know exactly what it is, but i like it. great play on his nickname...

thats actually really awesome. wish I saw this before they sold out.

myslabs.to/smzcards

Grabbed 2 so far- Snoop Dogg doing his riff on a 1954 w Acuna and Pose doing his 1953 riff with Rickey

• ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

They got me. I couldn't resist.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection

First Topps Mantle since getting the rights back:

• PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

I been picking some of these up too. Guess got lucky and received a Cody Bellinger #83 plus an #83 /70 foil print last week, Today I got a #90 Cory Seager plus a #90 /70 foil print add-on again!

Been a fan of Project 70 and Project 2020 - but the sheer massiveness of both sets had kept me on the sideline. This was the first time I really liked all 3 cards in a week so I ordered them. Really like Naturel's (he did the Bench) cards so far so thinking of collecting just his set. Missed the Soto - but ordered the Aaron.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up the first 3 but that's it.

I'm still doing the "Living" set and Turn back the Clock.

Mike

I have enjoyed the revealing of cards on Topps website M-F, but I only bought the Vides Mantle so far.

This one is really good IMO:

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a designer/ Artist and I actually follow Ermsy, Beck and Thiele so I'm into this. I'm collecting the AP's and I'm more drawn to the Project 2020 as AP's were limited to 20. The Project 70's are 52 plus 75 Rainbow holograms. Not sure the market can support these outside of a few key players and uber cool designs

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭

I was really big on project 2020, but can't get excited about these new ones. I don't like the open ended nature of the project and collecting only cards I like doesn't jive with my OCD for set collecting. I started, stopped, started again, and finally bailed on these cards.

If they do a Harold Baines card, I'm in for a 5 pack, but that's really the only way I'm buying any more.

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Loved project 2020, but project 70 is just too much. I will pick up a few of the APs if the price is right.

• byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

The Project 2020 press didn’t even cool down before P70 was upon us

@bensie said:
    I was really big on project 2020, but can't get excited about these new ones. I don't like the open ended nature of the project and collecting only cards I like doesn't jive with my OCD for set collecting. I started, stopped, started again, and finally bailed on these cards.

If they do a Harold Baines card, I'm in for a 5 pack, but that's really the only way I'm buying any more.

You, Tony LaRussa and Mrs. Baines will have a corner on the market...

Just ordered this one. I absolutely want the In Action. Could not find anywhere how many of those there are. It mentions a chrome chase card with a print run of 20 but there is no mention of the In Action.

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this up for my Buckner collection. Definitely an interesting set, with hits and misses, subject to artistic preferences.

This card is an example of when Project 70 does something cool. An ode to the fact he was on two straight 4 player rookie cards and a tribute to the Dale Murphy reverse negative all rolled into one card. Love this one.

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

I've purchased some of the Alex Pardee ones.. I enjoy that crazy / morbid / comic book type..
    I got the eck, trout, r.johnson & r.fingers
    Definitely different.

And my only Project 20

• Mo_MentumMo_Mentum Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    after i looked at the 2020 project I realized that I really don't understand art. '

at all.

What's preventing you from fully appreciating these as works of art is that you really DO understand art. :)

@Chicago1976 said:
    Picked this up for my Buckner collection. Definitely an interesting set, with hits and misses, subject to artistic preferences.

Should have had goat horns sticking through the cap! >:)

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@Mo_Mentum said:

@Chicago1976 said:

As a 1986 Mets fan, Bill was my favorite Red Sox 😁

had to breakdown and order a couple of ermsy trout/adam bomb cards.

too nostalgic not to have. i cant imagine how many they have prolly presold…

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2021 3:52PM

I picked up a bunch of 2020 Trouts - they're really cool.

I posted back in May or so...

When Mantle popped with Topps.com, I picked up one and was really lucky!

They threw in one of the Rainbows - 1/70!

For those who don't participate - you can't buy the Rainbows directly from Topps - they're a random pick "insert" with your order like the TBT set where 1 out of 20 get an SP with their 3 card set.

Mike

@picklepete said:

@Mo_Mentum said:

@Chicago1976 said:

Like Roberto Duran, Manos de piedra.

The project 70 artist missed the boat, IMO. Buckner should have been depicted with the goat horns AND stone hooves :D

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like Roberto Duran, Manos de piedra.

The project 70 artist missed the boat, IMO. Buckner should have been depicted with the goat horns AND stone hooves :D

IMHO, the horns should have been shared with Schiraldi and Stanley. But probably a discussion on another thread. lol

edited July 13, 2021 8:38AM

Just ordered this one from Topps.

edited July 13, 2021 9:39PM

Sorry, that is one fugly card. If it was a child, you'd have to hang a pork chop around it's neck to get the dog to play with it. The margins in my school notebook looked like that by the end of the year.
    To each his own I guess.

edited July 14, 2021 8:36AM

@weaselpuppy said:
    Sorry, that is one fugly card. If it was a child, you'd have to hang a pork chop around it's neck to get the dog to play with it. The margins in my school notebook looked like that by the end of the year.
    To each his own I guess.

Yep. To each his own is correct. And, to offer another cliche, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It's a great thing that our hobby offers us so many choices on what to buy and collect.