Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the Sunset Collection?

savitalesavitale Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm amazed that this set being offered by Great Collections seems to keep going and going. Searching the prices realizes archive shows over 7,000 coins sold so far, over 5,000 of which are between MS66 and MS67+. Mostly common 20th century coins but in very high grade, with clearly a lot of duplicates.

Comments

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, I was asking myself the same question the other day. I've bid on a ton of those coins, but don't think I've ever won one. They usually bring strong money.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I've also taken notice.

The Sunset Collection is VAST and seems endless.

It also features mostly high-grade, original coins.

I've bid on several but have only won a couple.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone put together a high quality, modern set.... looks like they had access to the mint with that many. Cheers, RickO

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of them are a “name it yourself” collection.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont know to answer the OP's question, but I have won a few and they usually have nice images too!

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... dealers dumping their gems into a fictitious hoard?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've given it some thought over time. But not too much.

@SeattleSlammer said:
    Well GC is only on ‘Part 137’ of it today .... so it’s not that big. 😆

Apparently the sun never sets on that collection... B)

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Not to seem conspiratorial, but couldn't the "Sunset collection" be a label tossed on the coins by a coin dealer (or GC itself) as a way of creating a "name" collection?

It certainly could be. That's something I was wondering too. But the collection (or is it a hoard?) of 5000+ MS66-67 coins seems very focused, albeit only by grade, for random dealer castoffs.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Sunset Collection is indeed from a real person. He/she has been a client of Gerry Fortin’s since 2014, and Gerry is holding an auction of toned Mint State Seated Halves consigned by the Sunset Collection. That auction starts Feb 27 and ends March 6. Gerry discusses quite a bit about this in his blog posted this morning, Feb 14th. I think all of the photos and individual coin descriptions will be posted on Gerry’s site next Saturday, and there will be a zoom meeting about this shortly thereafter.

Gerry’s website is www.seateddimevarieties.com, and once there, on the left hand side is a black box to click to get to his blog.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/DailyBlog.htm

Also possible that there is more than one "Sunset Collection".

• ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    The Sunset Collection is indeed from a real person. He/she has been a client of Gerry Fortin’s since 2014, and Gerry is holding an auction of toned Mint State Seated Halves consigned by the Sunset Collection. That auction starts Feb 27 and ends March 6. Gerry discusses quite a bit about this in his blog posted this morning, Feb 14th. I think all of the photos and individual coin descriptions will be posted on Gerry’s site next Saturday, and there will be a zoom meeting about this shortly thereafter.

Gerry’s website is www.seateddimevarieties.com, and once there, on the left hand side is a black box to click to get to his blog.

This Seated Collection (being offered by Fortin) is definitely unrelated to the Sunset Collection that GreatCollections has been offering for 5+ years. This is going to confuse and upset a lot of collectors.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Not to seem conspiratorial, but couldn't the "Sunset collection" be a label tossed on the coins by a coin dealer (or GC itself) as a way of creating a "name" collection?

This reminds me of people who say "No offense....." and then proceeds to offend you.

It's definitely not owned by a dealer or GC or anyone related to GC.

The consignor, a collector with an amazing eye, appreciates toning, and in general, attractive coins.

He is not related to the Fortin's Sunset Collection - that is something completely different and from a different person. Unfortunately, they are using the same name, which is going to confuse and upset a lot of people.

Regards,

• Ian

I really didn't mean to suggest anyone was doing anything wrong. It really wouldn't matter to me if it was a dealer label as it is not exactly the Eliasberg provenance.

There just seems to be a proliferation of no-name names (not at GC). I am handling an estate. The widow doesn't want his name on them. But what stops me from calling them the Tequila Sunrise collection to give them an aura of provenance.

If the owners of the Sunset collection are anonymous and not known numismatists, it is essentially a marketing gimmick isn't it?

@ianrussell said:

The consignor, a collector with an amazing eye, appreciates toning, and in general, attractive coins.

Regards,

• Ian

Good to know. How many coins are there?

@Catbert said:

@ianrussell said:

I think that's one of the reasons serious collectors deal with our firm.

Regards,

• Ian

...and not jmlanzaf's. No offense.

;););)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

LOL.

No worry. I will be consigning the 3rd "Sunset Collection" to a major auction house shortly - anonymously, of course. :)

As soon as my paperwork goes through, my new name is John Albanese and I will be consigning my entire collection to GC as soon as the custom slabs are back from PCGS.

edited February 14, 2021 5:41PM

You can shoot the messenger, but this thread has proven that "Sunset Collection" refers to 2 different anonymous collections. And, quite simply, there is a proliferation of name collections out there.

Just in the last few months at Heritage, we have the following collections, not all of which are exactly numismatic household names:

The Dr. Charles Collection
    The Don Bonser Collection
    The Steve Studer Collection
    The Cape Coral Collection
    The Edward Formica Collection
    The Donald Partrick Collection
    The Isaac Rudman Collection
    The Bacchus Collection
    The Caranett Collection
    The Maurice Storck Collection

At Stack's we have:
    The Kings Norton Mint collection
    The Karelian Collection
    The Oro del Nuovo Mundo Collection
    The Naples Bay Collection
    The Larry Miller Collection
    The Tampa Collection
    The E Pluribus Unum Collection
    The Larry Ness Collection
    The E. Horatio Morgan Collection
    The Big Sky Collection

So, go ahead, tell me how throwing names on collections isn't marketing.

@yspsales said:
    Interesting... dealers dumping their gems into a fictitious hoard?

It doesn't have to be a fictitious hoard. It's a real "collection". It's just not (necessarily) a private collection assembled by an expert numismatist of renown.

@jmlanzaf said:
    So, go ahead, tell me how throwing names on collections isn't a marketing ploy.

Ploy has connotations which I believe are inappropriate to simply identifying coins as having come from a certain consignor. Provenance is a form of marketing, but it's not deceptive and is actually useful to potential bidders who have similar taste to the consignor in toned coins. Those listings tagged with "Sunset Collection" also usually contain excellent ancillary photos, and it's nice to be made aware of such via the tag when searching or browsing GC listings.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2021 5:27PM

I think the thought that this is somehow dirty, or a trick, or pulling the rug over someone's eyes because they __choose__to name their collection is silly. Some folks want their name associated with the coins they owned. You, as the buyer, can change that. Big Deal. If you think this is a ploy to try and gain higher prices, I doubt it. Can it have an ancillary effect of raising prices for a particular collection in the auction? Perhaps, but definitely not guaranteed. I would think more that this is a great way to easily search and catalog coins from a specific cosigner, whether in 3 parts or in 300. And you, as the buyer, if you like what you see, why not enjoy that as a search tool?

I have been part of multiple named sale collections. Never once was it "designed" to try and raise prices and "pull a fast one."

Surf

Dead people tell interesting tales.
    edited February 14, 2021 5:33PM

@ianrussell said:
    Although we're over 6000 coins consigned now from the Sunset Collection, he is not even in top ten >purely going by the # of coins consigned by a single collector. We have several well over 10,000 >certified coins by a single collector consignor.

• Ian

That's pretty amazing. I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear of a 10,000 piece raw collection (couple bags of wheat cents anyone?) but 10,000 certified coins is a monster. It's awesome there is a venue to efficiently recycle this material into the marketplace. I'm pretty sure if 10,000 certified coins were brought to the average dealer the widow would end up getting screwed.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2021 5:53PM

@ianrussell said:

@savitale said:

@ianrussell said:

Regards,

• Ian

Good to know. How many coins are there?

Apart from years of buying duplicates, the collector still buys coins to better match his sets...finding one with slightly better toning or different toning to match others in his collection, so it's ongoing. It's going to come to an end at some point, but difficult to predict exactly when. We have about 200-300 more coins in-house that will list in the next few weeks. The consignor prefers to sell 50 coins at a time, which is why we're now up to part 137. Although we're over 6000 coins consigned now from the Sunset Collection, he is not even in top ten purely going by the # of coins consigned by a single collector. We have several well over 10,000 certified coins by a single collector consignor.

• Ian

WOWEE that’s alot of slabbed coins for a single collection!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would appear that sometimes, "marketing" has a negative connotation on the forum here and sometimes not. Coin collecting can be so confusing. ;)

@SurfinxHI said:
    I think the thought that this is somehow dirty, or a trick, or pulling the rug over someone's eyes because they __choose__to name their collection is silly. Some folks want their name associated with the coins they owned. You, as the buyer, can change that. Big Deal. If you think this is a ploy to try and gain higher prices, I doubt it. Can it have an ancillary effect of raising prices for a particular collection in the auction? Perhaps, but definitely not guaranteed. I would think more that this is a great way to easily search and catalog coins from a specific cosigner, whether in 3 parts or in 300. And you, as the buyer, if you like what you see, why not enjoy that as a search tool?

I have been part of multiple named sale collections. Never once was it "designed" to try and raise prices and "pull a fast one."

Surf

I didn't say it was dirty. In fact, I said just the opposite.

@MasonG said:
    It would appear that sometimes, "marketing" has a negative connotation on the forum here and sometimes not. Coin collecting can be so confusing. ;)

It partly depends on WHO points it out. ;)

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Ploy has connotations which I believe are inappropriate to simply identifying coins as having come from a certain consignor. Provenance is a form of marketing, but it's not deceptive and is actually useful to potential bidders who have similar taste to the consignor in toned coins. Those listings tagged with "Sunset Collection" also usually contain excellent ancillary photos, and it's nice to be made aware of such via the tag when searching or browsing GC listings.

Use whatever term you want. Or let's just drop "ploy" and call it "marketing".

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

And partly, on who's doing the promoting. At least, that's the way it looks from here. ;)

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

And partly, on who's doing the promoting. At least, that's the way it looks from here. ;)

I've never been at the cool kids table. I bet the Raman noodles taste like manna...

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

OK, sure. So what?

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

OK, sure. So what?

So, nothing. As I've said, I don't have an issue with it.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether the term ploy or marketing is used, I agree with @jmlanzaf that a consignor assigns a “name” of some sort to the coins assigned for the MAIN goal of either ego (I agree it feels good), and/or to potentially generate extra bid dollars. Even though I’ve read in other threads on this forum that many of you will not bid anything extra for holders with the D.L. Hansen label (and some collectors will definitely avoid them), I find myself willing to bid an extra increment for those that I would be bidding on anyway. As such, I believe some collectors might be psychologically influenced in a positive manner if the coin they are bidding on is from a named “collection”, even if not on the label, and that is what some of this is all about - marketing, ploy, or whatever, to potentially get slightly higher bids.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

I need a unique name for my collection. Is "The 15 Minutes Past Nautical Twilight Collection" taken? Much more special than "Sunset".

• CircCamCircCam Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2021 12:28AM

Edited

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2021 5:38AM

There is someone referred to as "Prominent Eastern Collector" accumulating very high end saints.
    They're generally never seen again.

I was thinking about calling myself "Prominent Appalachian Collector" but didn't think I was distinguished enough. :/

@ReadyFireAim said:
    There is someone referred to as "Prominent Eastern Collector" accumulating very high end saints.
    They're generally never seen again.

I was thinking about calling myself "Prominent Appalachian Collector" but didn't think I was distinguished enough. :/

I'm clearly "Not so prominent Upstate NY Collector"

@Davideo said:
    I need a unique name for my collection. Is "The 15 Minutes Past Nautical Twilight Collection" taken? Much more special than "Sunset".

Actually, "Nautical Twilight Collection" has a very nice ring to it.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

This collection reminds me of the 'grandpa's estate' type collections that was seen on eBay years ago. Proceeds from sales buys more and it never seems to end.

I am not sure where the new purchases come from though - a circuit of retail stores?

• I’m amazed at collection that vast , and yet others are even larger ! Kind of boggles the mind . Though I do get it. If I had another zero or two behind my current net worth I’d be doing it too. To be able to see a collection like that in person would be pretty amazing . A bucket list item for me . 1.5 hours in a collectors man cave talking all things coins and looking at so many beautiful specimens . Wow

My little collection is The Vincent Savage Collection 🤓

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2022 3:34PM

This one came from a GC Sunset Collection sale!

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file