Home U.S. Coin Forum

1974 aluminum penny.

Is it a test coin or fake? Weighs 0.93 grams and is aluminum alloy. Does have remnants of the dvb.

Comments

• Dwight_MDwight_M Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

Cool

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where'd you pick it up?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say that it is a fake considering that the details of the coin look mushy and poorly defined.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

A fun & exciting find but...... fake. ;)

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1974-1c-aluminum/508060

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake.

What do you mean by,"Does have remnants of the dvb?"

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing new to add.
    Fake.

• ByersByers Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake. Mushy strike. Most likely China.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

CHINAAAAAAAAA!

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

The genuine coins are very well struck. Sorry the photo quality isn't great... these are old:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2021 4:22PM

I would say counterfeit, but I'd ask @CaptHenway or @FredWeinberg

ooops, didn't notice Fred already answered!

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2021 12:05AM

There's supposed to be up to 12 more aluminum cents out there after the Toven and Smithsonian specimens.

After the setback, the US Mint recalled the coins, but about 12 == to 14 aluminum cents were never returned to the mint. No oversight, record keeping, or statement that the coins had to be returned was made by the US Mint as examples were handed out.[2] When Federal Bureau of Investigation and other government law enforcement agencies were called in to investigate, however, some congressmen either feigned ignorance or completely denied getting examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_aluminum_cent#Toven_Specimen

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote struck Chinese fake. The rims look cartoonishly wide to me.

That's the good news, since if it were real the govt would confiscate it.

@astrorat said:
    Fake.

Took me a minute. I think they meant VDB.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2021 6:48AM

@muzzman.... Welcome aboard.... The image of Lincoln is very soft/blurred - not the picture, the coin. Not like the images I have seen of authentic cents. I would say fake. Cheers, RickO

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen those available in bulk on various Chinese type "Amazon" selling sites. Wish.com comes to mind as one of them.

@JBK said:

@astrorat said:
    Fake.

Ah ...duh! I shoulda guessed that!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aluminum foiled!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Fred.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    The genuine coins are very well struck. Sorry the photo quality isn't great... these are old:

wow!! that's a stunner 🤩

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Obviously fake – probably from China

This is the real thing.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@FredWeinberg said:
    Obviously fake – probably from China

This is the real thing.

Pete

Looks like the one I posted ;)

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree ... it has that mushy fake look.

@Jimnight said:

:s

• @abcde12345 said:
    I've seen those available in bulk on various Chinese type "Amazon" selling sites. Wish.com comes to mind as one of them.

This didn't come from there.

• @Zoins said:
    There's supposed to be up to 12 more aluminum cents out there after the Toven and Smithsonian specimens.

After the setback, the US Mint recalled the coins, but about 12 == to 14 aluminum cents were never returned to the mint. No oversight, record keeping, or statement that the coins had to be returned was made by the US Mint as examples were handed out.[2] When Federal Bureau of Investigation and other government law enforcement agencies were called in to investigate, however, some congressmen either feigned ignorance or completely denied getting examples.

I've read everything on the 74. Including court case.

• @Jimnight said:

You don't think it's from finning?

• Thanks for all comments.

• @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@airplanenut said:

wow!! that's a stunner 🤩

The test ones wasn't well struck. Take a closer look at the one in the Smithsonian. Do a screenshot and blow it up.

• @astrorat said:

@JBK said:

@astrorat said:
    Fake.

Ah ...duh! I shoulda guessed that!

Yes I did. Didn't proof read but if people are more worried about 2 letters in the wrong place, then I feel sorry for you.

• @Zoins said:

It doesn't matter. They're not illegal too have.

• @JBK said:

@astrorat said:
    Fake.

Dvb.> @coinJP said:

The design details are very mushy. Doesn't look authentic.

You don't think it's from finning? The video on them sure looks like it.

• CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I've got one of those too. Too mushy. Just a fake/novelty. I simply put it in the Dansco next to the 74D missing layer. As close as I'll ever get I guess..

Got it the same day I got this.. another phoney..

edited February 12, 2021 6:12AM

@muzzman said:

@abcde12345 said:

Just because you didn't purchase it off of a Chinese website doesn't mean it didn't originally come from one of them. Many unscrupulous sellers buy cheaply and in bulk from China and sell individually to naive collectors. There may have been a couple of middlemen before the "coin" reached you.

I'd also add you are not doing yourself any favors by attempting to defend your fake cent. Many seasoned collectors and dealers here provide you with sage advice and opinions based on knowledge and without an agenda. Accept it instead of trying to deflect and fight it.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2021 9:59AM

@muzzman said:

@Zoins said:

Depends on the way you look at it.

Do the 10 Langbord 1933 Double Eagles matter? Do the 10 gold 2000 Sacagaweas matter? Does the 1849 Double Eagle matter?

I'd contend all these "matter" even if they can only be "owned by the people" via our institutions.

@muzzman said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@airplanenut said:

wow!! that's a stunner 🤩

The test ones wasn't well struck. Take a closer look at the one in the Smithsonian. Do a screenshot and blow it up.

I took these photos... in the vault... of the Smithsonian. Its strike and the strike on your piece are night and day.

@muzzman said:

@abcde12345 said:

Nor did it come from the US Mint.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • @Zoins said:

@muzzman said:

@Zoins said:

Do the 10 Langbord 1933 Double Eagles matter? Do the 10 gold 2000 Sacagaweas matter? Does the 1849 Double Eagle matter?

I'd contend all these "matter" even if they can only be "owned by the people" via our institutions.

read the court case on the 74. and not to mention someone on here said they only handed out coins in perfect shape and thats far from the truth. pcgs graded the one from phil at ms 62 and its looks worse then mine.

edited February 18, 2021 2:29AM

@muzzman said:

read the court case on the 74. and not to mention someone on here said they only handed out coins in perfect shape and thats far from the truth. pcgs graded the one from phil at ms 62 and its looks worse then mine.

You are confusing condition with strike quality.

The dies used to strike your fake were mushy and had low quality details.

If you have any doubts that it is fake you should be comparing it to counterfeits. You will quickly see similarities.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’ve now posted at least two counterfeit examples - this and the 1873-CC dime - which, if genuine, would be worth a considerable sum.

Did you think they were genuine? Did you buy them from a well established source with a good reputation? Did you buy them at what appeared to be a bargain price? Did the seller(s) provide you with stories about the coins?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@muzzman said:

@Zoins said:

@muzzman said:

@Zoins said:

Then send it in to PCGS and then argue with them when they tell you it's a fake. There is little point in soliciting opinions and then arguing with them. The forum is unanimous on this and that almost never happens.

It's a fun little dollar novelty. Put it in your collection and enjoy it. If you want to consider it a million dollar rarity, that's no skin off of our collective nose.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCoins said:
    I've got one of those too. Too mushy. Just a fake/novelty. I simply put it in the Dansco next to the 74D missing layer. As close as I'll ever get I guess..

Got it the same day I got this.. another phoney..

What is a 1974-D missing layer? Zinc layered coins were not produced until 1982.

• CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2021 5:50AM

whatever it is. high 5, columbo.

muzzman.. accept it. it's not real.

P.S... *THAN

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

and a more recent article, showing the OP's coin,
    was published in January, in Coin World, page 8
    (don't have the exact date of the issue)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file