Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

what happens to Mahomes cards now?

2»

Comments

• Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    I think it's time to take a step or two back, @chaz43 and @blurryface...

I think you would both be comfortable simply saying that if you are looking to spend that kind of money on cards, be sure to do a lot of homework on the player, set and market before making the purchase. Let's leave it there and keep the fireworks to a minimum.

Totally agree Todd. Just trying to educate.

chaz

• Options

Chaz,

Your comparisons of all those guys to Giannis, a two-time MVP winner, are flawed. For you, $40k might be a "dabble". Likewise, for the guy who bought it, $1.82 million might be a "dabble" as well. You don't know him, or his finances. Likewise, someone may look at your statement and think $40k is a ridiculous amount to "dabble".

Your unending need to compare everyone to Jordan and titles clouds every post you make on the subject. Giannis is a two-time MVP award winner and is light years ahead of every one of those busts you mentioned. So he hasn't won a title - so what?

Stop with the baseless attacks on everyone for their choice of investments. Someone dropping a million-plus on a card surely can afford it, regardless of its future value.

• Options

@BriantheTaxGuy said:
    Chaz,

Your comparisons of all those guys to Giannis, a two-time MVP winner, are flawed. For you, $40k might be a "dabble". Likewise, for the guy who bought it, $1.82 million might be a "dabble" as well. You don't know him, or his finances. Likewise, someone may look at your statement and think $40k is a ridiculous amount to "dabble".

Your unending need to compare everyone to Jordan and titles clouds every post you make on the subject. Giannis is a two-time MVP award winner and is light years ahead of every one of those busts you mentioned. So he hasn't won a title - so what?

Stop with the baseless attacks on everyone for their choice of investments. Someone dropping a million-plus on a card surely can afford it, regardless of its future value.

.... let me ask you a question...when someone makes an investment do they do it to lose money??? of course not.... so this guy that made a $1.82 million investment in someone with no championships and will achieve a positive return on that investment in 5-10 years when he still does not have any championships(he has to get past Lebron, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, James Harden, Steph Curry) etc........to me that is RIDICULOUS.... People have to think, read, and research that is all I am saying...

chaz

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 2:30PM

actually, all i'm saying is don't knock what another collector chooses to collect. the kid chose w his heart, not with his roi in mind and made out better than you. i, along w a few others, found what you wrote to be in extremely poor taste.

we good?

eta: since we are in the bid ness of helping each other, you may want to rethink your entire thought process on exactly what speculation is. if you think going from $480k to $738k over the course of a weekend on the same piece of cardboard (your jordan) doesn't have any "speculation" built into it, then you are living in bizzaro-world. no amount of championships is guaranteed protection against that.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uhhh~~~ BUY THE MAHOMES DIP.....

• Options

@blurryface said:
    actually, all i'm saying is don't knock what another collector chooses to collect. the kid chose w his heart, not with his roi in mind and made out better than you. i, along w a few others, found what you wrote to be in extremely poor taste.

we good?.

don't be so sensitive and make rational statements,,,, better than me???? what does that mean??? if I made statements that offended some people well they woke up to the mine field and I helped some people realize that they can really get hurt and to be careful because even Gary Vee knows...... "you don't want to be caught holding the bag" ......

chaz

• Options

eta: since we are in the bid ness of helping each other, you may want to rethink your entire thought process on exactly what speculation is. if you think going from $480k to $738k over the course of a weekend on the same piece of cardboard (your jordan) doesn't have any "speculation" built into it, then you are living in bizzaro-world. no amount of championships is guaranteed protection against that.

The Jordan ship has sailed my friend, only blue skies and sunny days ahead for that card....like I said I am all in and let's see who's right in 5 years comparing the Jordan card to any of this Luca, Zion, Ja and Giannis baloney......

chaz

• Options

@chaz43 said:

@BriantheTaxGuy said:
    Chaz,

.... let me ask you a question...when someone makes an investment do they do it to lose money??? of course not.... so this guy that made a $1.82 million investment in someone with no championships and will achieve a positive return on that investment in 5-10 years when he still does not have any championships(he has to get past Lebron, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, James Harden, Steph Curry) etc........to me that is RIDICULOUS.... People have to think, read, and research that is all I am saying...

chaz

For all you know 2million might be to the buyer what 20 bucks is to you and me.

How do you know what the buyers motivations are? Maybe he's of Greek descent and wants a card of the best Greek player to ever play?

You make the assumption that future buyers will only buy cards of title winners. You continue to equate titles with good returns.

Your behavior doesn't apply to everyone and the sooner you understand that the better everyone will be.

• Options

@chaz43 said:

The Jordan ship has sailed my friend, only blue skies and sunny days ahead for that card....like I said I am all in and let's see who's right in 5 years comparing the Jordan card to any of this Luca, Zion, Ja and Giannis baloney......

chaz

Nobody but you is comparing Giannis to Jordan. What's clear is you're upset that someone dared to spend more on a Giannis card than on Jordan. That much is obvious.

The key question is why does that upset you so much ?

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2021 3:32PM

@chaz43 said:

chaz

(first, i apologize todd for having to babysit us. second, i'd like to thank him for prolly nervously allowing this civil convo to continue and for being the coolest mod this board has had in a long while. todd, please know i am not frustrated nor on the brink of hurling any personal insults towards chaz)

deal. and i'll let you outta the bet now. perhaps prior to educating attempts, a little background info would help? maybe the person youre trying to school might be able to help you out.

and i really hate doing this, but maybe eye candy is a better approach since reading comprehension isnt.

would you like to continue to proceed in telling me that im doing it all wrong, that youre older than me and how youll be back to put me in check...

and who's jordan?

• Options

@chaz43 said:

@AFLfan said:
    I think it's time to take a step or two back, @chaz43 and @blurryface...

I think you would both be comfortable simply saying that if you are looking to spend that kind of money on cards, be sure to do a lot of homework on the player, set and market before making the purchase. Let's leave it there and keep the fireworks to a minimum.

Totally agree Todd. Just trying to educate.

chaz

But you're not, chaz.

You're berating others for choosing to spend their money how they choose because you don't agree with it. Instead of laying out a logical argument for why you feel the Giannis at $1.8M is overpaying, you compare him to a bunch of guys who accomplished exactly nothing in their careers, then throw in the guess that (a) Giannis will never win a title and (b) make the assumption that buyers only see value in championship winners.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to get some Luca Donkey's ...

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, folks. We seem to be circling back to the same points over and over. I am going to assume that no one is going to convince someone else to change their mind, so in an attempt to not waste keystrokes on your keyboards (I assume they only have a certain amount built into them, right?), I'm going to shut this thing down.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. If you've got a million dollars to spend on cards, I suggest you 1) recognize how fortunate you truly are, and 2) make your purchases wisely and after considering multiple possibilities.

And thank you @blurryface for posting some truly incredible cards. That Mantle gives me the shivers.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
This discussion has been closed.