Home U.S. Coin Forum

Value of 1968d penny stuck on silver dime planchet

PppPpp Posts: 483 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I could use some help figuring out the value of a 1968d Lincoln penny struck on a silver dime planchet pcgs cert # 41481261 genuine XF details (98-damage).

This coin was first mentioned in a thread “cool coins 2” about 13 years ago.

In 1968 the Denver mint did produce a silver 1968d Roosevelt dime graded coin by ngc. https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/1968-d-dime-struck-on-a-90-silver-planchet-au55-ngc/a/1125-1385.s

Also, a 1968d penny was stamped on a dime planchet and graded by anacs.
https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/1968-d-1c-lincoln-cent-on-a-dime-planchet-ms62-anacs/a/1142-9770.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ThisAuction-120115

I view this coin to be one of a kind and can use help trying to figure out its value.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

But, lets remember that in 1968 the silver dime planchets hadn't been used for 4 [well, actually 3+] years.

Frank

BHNC #203

@Treashunt said:

But, lets remember that in 1968 the silver dime planchets hadn't been used for 4 [well, actually 3+] years.

What does that lead you to think about the chance of the error having been intentional and of the coin's value?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting post, P.P.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Treashunt said:

What does that lead you to think about the chance of the error having been intentional and of the coin's value?

Good question, and it was possibly intentional.
    Value?
    No clue.

Frank

BHNC #203

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2021 6:48AM

Great find and thx for posting the outcome of the submission here.

As for value? You said it yourself that it is one of a kind. The best you can do is look at other transitional planchet errors and try to factor in the unique characteristics of your coin.

On the plus side, there were a few years in between the days and the use of that planchet. On the negative side there is the condition.

You can always contact an auction company for an initial assessment and see what they estimate it to be worth.

The best you'll get is a range of values. If you want to know a specific number you'll have to sell it.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether intentional or not (though likely), error collectors will still want it. Check with @ErrorsOnCoins for an estimate. Cheers, RickO

• I would estimate it at about $3,500. The grade and damage hurt it a lot. Neat transitional off-metal!

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

An "intentional error" is certainly a possibility, but the Denver mint also struck 1964 dated dimes through 1966 according to David Lange (he has an article on another TPG site). I don't think it's unreasonable for a silver planchet to be stuck in a tote or equipment for that period of time (could be just over 1 year to 2 years), so I wouldn't necessarily condemn it as a fabricated error.

I think it's more likely to be struck through "natural processes". If it had help, the perpetrator would have to have access to silver dime planchets in 1968. There doesn't appear to be any undertype and I'm assuming there are no reeding remnants, so that would rule out using a dime from circulation (like the 1970-S quarter on a 1940 Canadian).

Just my thoughts that prove nothing. Only something to think about

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

value is whatever someone wants to pay for the error

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be easy to underestimate the value of this coin.

I'd guess it would be worth about 75% of any other of the transitional errors of 1965. The market will be small so it will depend on the individuals willing to place bids.

It's the type of coin that might be in much more demand in a few years.

Tempus fugit.

@silverpop said:
    value is whatever someone wants to pay for the error

Not true. Lots of people "want" to pay far less for coins than what most would consider to be fair market value. On the other hand, some buyers will pay much more than what most would consider to be fair market value.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the really wild errors from that era that you could reasonably assume were the result of after-hours shenanigans came from the San Francisco mint. I am not personally aware of any assisted errors coming out of the Denver mint from this era.

For value, I believe there are 1965- and 1966-dated dimes on silver planchets, I would look at those as a starting point. I would adjust the value accordingly for the later date (+) and the condition (-).

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well considering that the one that Feld linked sold for just over $500, and the ANACS MS example you linked only sold for $550 I would not see this selling for much more than the two examples here. But this is the covid world with lots of folks at home with money to burn and bidding everything to the moon so maybe 1K is possible.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Well considering that the one that Feld linked sold for just over $500, and the ANACS MS example you linked only sold for $550 I would not see this selling for much more than the two examples here. But this is the covid world with lots of folks at home with money to burn and bidding everything to the moon so maybe 1K is possible.

The OP's coin is on a silver planchet, not a clad planchet, which makes it a transitional error in addition to an off metal, hence the value disparity.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

@coinbuf said:

I don't have a good feel for the value, but would think Jon Sullivan (who posted) does. My guess is that his estimate must take into account that a post-1964 error of that type would have a lot more value than an earlier one.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Mornin' all -

I tend to agree with Jon's retail value - maybe a bit lower
    in my mind, due to the details grade; and it's not that
    attractive as an Off Metal planchet error.

Also, it was probably not made intentionally, imo

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is an auction item for a major auction. Value is speculative, especially considering the damage.

All glory is fleeting.
  • The later date transitionals that are "well beyond" the normal year for a typical transitional, in general sell for more. If this was a 1965 cent on 1964 silver dime planchet, perhaps it would be in the $1,500 range. However, the 1968-D being possibly unique, the right buyer might pay $3,500, but it wouldn't be surprising to me for it to fetch $1500 at auction or maybe as high as $4500 if two eager bidders wanted it.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • PppPpp Posts: 483 ✭✭✭✭

I love statistics and probability therefore, the details grade doesn’t bother me, if anything it helps to prove the coin wasn’t intentionally made because for this silver penny to exist the silver dime planchet probably had to be stuck within a mechanism of a hopper for about 3.5 years (the approximate length of time the mint stopped using silver in dimes) before it was dislodged. I think the coin should show signs of damage and it is remarkable it was XF details (I thought it should have been lower). The silver planchet being stamped a penny just makes this coin even more remarkable which complicates calculating the probability of existence after considering both mint error variables.

Thank you to everyone who responded and the estimates on value.

• ByersByers Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

The damage hurts the value alot. Most likely not intentionally made.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may have been made from a silver dime planchet that had become stuck somewhere in the press and fell out when the press was being used for Lincoln cents.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file