Home Precious Metals
Options

If you had 10,000 to spend on precious metals....

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which one would you buy? Silver, gold, platinum, paladium, other??

Comments

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure wish I had bought $10k in silver 20 years ago... Today, I have no clue.

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 8:54PM

I would buy gold:
    1oz GAE
    1oz Buffalo
    1oz 2009 UHR,
    1/2oz GAE proof
    1/2oz 2007 jefferson liberty
    1/2oz maple
    1/2oz 2016 walking liberty

Edited to add... I just like gold, and these designs, which I think are worth keeping. I don't know if these are a better value than any other option.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2021 8:23AM

AGQ, for the long term

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

An even mix of things. I'm not sure I'd want to buy right now eithet

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

We'll this run up showed you. SAEs sold out immediately and people eagerly paid the bloated premium as well.

rolls of Silver American Eagles. Gold has largely peaked..

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver for the best price I could find.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the present price of gold, I would put the money away and wait for a dip... Then buy gold, because it will go up, and stay up...in the foreseeable future. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Silver.

:|

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

Sterling silver flatware; can use it while you wait.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2021 6:35PM

With the silver premium in play, gold, bullion, 1/2oz and 1oz split....but...stonks instead.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

I'd need to add $$$ to the $10,000...

• Options
    JTHawaiiJTHawaii Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Pre-33 gold & platinum eagles. Haven’t bought anything in a few weeks, might need to find something soon.

Successful BST Transactions With: AUandAG, SurfinxHI, tightbudget, dmarks, jfoot13, jimineez1, PerryHall, rte592, cucamongacoin, Flackthat, robkool, Walkerguy21D, pruebas, KJB, LukeMarshall, 1630Boston, chumley, privatecoin, Histman, SullyFan2, al410, mcarney1173, Coinflip, mbogoman, dm679864, commoncents05, scooter25

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Probably AGE for the long. I don’t see 10K in metals as an investment to make money at this time.

• Options
    edited February 3, 2021 8:38AM

@drei3ree said:
    I'd need to add $$$ to the $10,000...

and how do you know that the seller hasn't searched through what you are paying $1000 in extra premium for? First Strike eligibility means nothing if they are all 69s or less. PCGS empowered them to certify they were sealed shortly after being removed from the box (30 days?), APMEX is not certifying they have not been picked over. My experience is that "First Strike" on a 69 label has little to no added value, so why pay an extra 50 clams for each of these coinis?

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    and how do you know that the seller hasn't searched through what you are paying $1000 in extra premium for? First Strike eligibility means nothing if they are all 69s or less. PCGS empowered them to certify they were sealed shortly after being removed from the box (30 days?), APMEX is not certifying they have not been picked over. My experience is that "First Strike" on a 69 label has little to no added value, so why pay an extra 50 clams for each of these coinis?

"All MintDirect® Tubes are sealed in tamper-evident packaging, guaranteeing the tube has never been opened and the coins inside remain untouched."
    Source: https://www.apmex.com/mintdirect

• Options
    edited February 3, 2021 10:42AM

The tamper evident packaging can be applied or removed by APMEX and reapplied by APMEX at any time, PCGS is not there to verify the coins are in fact First Strike eligible. The only guarantee that a tube has not been searched is to remove it from a sealed box yourself.

IMO no TPG should base it's certification on the word of a party who is the source for what is being submitted for grading. That is why you and I are, after 30 days, required to submit sealed mint shipping boxes to be eligible for First Strike.

And even the most reputable of grading services can be misled when their certification is based on wrong information provide by outside sources.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    The tamper evident packaging can be applied or removed by APMEX and reapplied by APMEX at any time [...]
    The only guarantee that a tube has not been searched is to remove it from a sealed box yourself. [...]>

I actually believe that the 'Mint Direct' items have not been searched.

Sadly, I do not know a lot about the 'APMEX/PCGS' partnership on 'First Strike', and am unable to add anything. You do, however, make some interesting points. :)

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

A rare US gold coin or 2 at 5k.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Four oz buffs.

• Options

. . . three silver bars and a partridge in a pear tree.

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Gold. That’s what I am buying.

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2021 11:34PM

A pretty 100 g gold bar would be my favorite, maybe not financially, but in the looks cool department.
    That is less than $10K I think, so I'd fill the 7070 gold page with what is left.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Classic US gold coins as close to melt as I can find. :)

This means that you are not buying much gold as of late.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to move to the sticks so I can do that.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2021 12:26PM

@Meltdown said:
    I need to move to the sticks so I can do that.

You remember when Luke thinks he can't levitate the rocks, so Yoda levitates the whole X-wing fighter?
    The process works the same whether you're talking a $75,000 property or a $300,000 property. Or a $3,000,000 property.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2021 12:30PM

Just bustin' yer balls. Me & the Mrs. have been talking about an investment property for years... everything just seems so inflated right now and there is a TON of buying competition here in my area.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wiess is right (he oughta know!), if the market's right. A lot of money has been chasing investment properties in recent years (along with all sorts of other tangibles), however, such that Meltdown's experience has become a common one. Depends altogether on the area of the country.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a slumlord is as much a PITA as selling widgets on feeBay. Lots of fees, closing costs, repairs, bad tenants etc. When all said and done it probably cost you money. Diversification is wonderful but you'd be much better off with a field full of Angus beef. Hardly no effort and the tax breaks are great. Hell take some gooberment subsidies while you're at it. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you invest in rental properties with a rent moratorium until June at least? Buying a rental in a college area is a horrible idea unless you don’t mind doing massive repairs after ravers, not getting paid or paid on time, and constant turnover.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pre 1933, certified, generic gold. As close to spot as possible.

• Options

@3stars said:
    Why would you invest in rental properties with a rent moratorium until June at least? Buying a rental in a college area is a horrible idea unless you don’t mind doing massive repairs after ravers, not getting paid or paid on time, and constant turnover.

Why would you want a valuable asset that is under pressure and selling at a steep discount, available on the lowest margins (interest rates) seen in a lifetime?

Why would you want investment property in a town or city where there is a growth industry based on cutting edge technology, doesn't pollute, isn't dependent on supply and demand or the whim of the economy?

Why would you want intelligent, serious tenants who understand obligations, deadlines, contracts?

Why would you want tenants who, if you treat them well, will stay with you for 3-4 years during one of the happiest times of their lives?

Why would you want tenants who literally grew up on social media and who, if you treat them well, will do your advertising for you via Facebook, Twitch, Instagram, Snap Chat, Twitter, etc. etc. ?

Why would you want tenants whose rent money comes from a job when you can have tenants whose rent money comes from a job PLUS mom and dad, PLUS a 529 account, PLUS government secured student loans...or a combination of all four?

Why would you buy an investment for no out of pocket, with built-in equity, secured by itself rather than your other assets, with unimaginable tax advantages and at least three potential revenue sources over which you have a fair degree of control?

I have no idea.

I'm just a guy, taking images of a few new coins on a Friday at 9:35 am, listening to liquid drum and bass in my new 5,000 square foot house, drinking a cup of coffee and screwing around on the internet, waiting for my wife, sitting across from me, to finish a project and for my son, upstairs on his remote class at his private school, so we can all get a leisurely lunch together.

You're probably right, though. :)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2021 8:51AM

@Weiss

you forgot 'why would I want to own an asset that is the easiest asset to tax and impossible to move to a more favorable taxing jurisdiction'

I

• Options

@taxmad said:
    @Weiss

you forgot 'why would I want to own an asset that is the easiest asset to tax and impossible to move to a more favorable taxing jurisdiction'

I

Where your competitors and customers are all bound by the exact same restrictions, without exception, so that the playing field is always naturally level and these expenses are automatically passed through to the customers?

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd buy Stocks and Crypto with the 10k

• Options

@Weiss said:

@taxmad said:
    @Weiss

I

Where your competitors and customers are all bound by the exact same restrictions, without exception, so that the playing field is always naturally level and these expenses are automatically passed through to the customers?

I would respectfully disagree. Your customer can move to another jurisdiction that didn't spend itself into oblivion and doesn't need to tax everything they can see.

• Options

If your customer wants to go to college in this town, live in this town, work in this town, raise a family in this town, they can't live in another jurisdiction.

They can't buy it cheaper online. They can't find it used on eBay. They can't get it in the neighboring state or town and move it here.

But what do I know? I'm just a guy with his feet propped up on his desk, playing on the internet. Oh I did some work today, too: I went to the post office and picked up the last of the rent checks for February. Stopped by a coin shop and talked to the owner for the better part of an hour. Talked with a buddy who has some rolls of Libertads they'd like to sell (see the February BST for details).

But you're probably right :D

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

I guess you are right - I forgot that only your town has a college, jobs, the ability to live and raise a family. Which is a good thing - otherwise you would see people who were perfectly happy going to college in a town, living in a town, working in a town and raising a family in a town moving to another jurisdiction because the qualify of life in that town has gone down...

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

All this back and forth rental property talk reminds me of a client I had when I was doing taxes part time for H&R Block after I retired from my fulltime job.

He bought mobile homes for an average of $5,000 each and rented them out for $100 a week. When we got to claiming his business mileage he said he visited each of them twice a week, once at the beginning of the week to pick up the rent and once in the middle of the week to see if they would still be there when he went to pick up the rent the next week. True story.

To answer the OP's question if I had to spend 10K it would probably be on modern $5 commemorative gold or classic pre-33 gold as close to melt as possible.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, I have friends that own rental properties. Listening to what they tell me, it seems like more headache than it’s worth. I’ll just continue investing like I have been. It’s worked out well thus far.

• Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

Hahaha, spent $8600 yesterday! Bought 2 double eagles, Indian eagle, few gold and platinum pandas, 2 platinum 1/4, bunch of 90% silver, 1/4, 1/10 age! Had a ball!

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Two months ago I would have said 5+ ounces of iridium sponge (provided you could get around limits such as 10 oz min). Leave it in its sealed container until today and you could sell it off, put your $10k back in your pocket, and still buy $10k+ in whichever mainstream PM you wanted. :o