9. boxing
  10. golf

http://www.biggestglobalsports.com/

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 7:17AM

So... When does the run up on cricket cards begin?

At #76, I fear my lacrosse collection will be of limited monetary value for the foreseeable future.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way back when, when I worked at CNN, we built a whole site for the cricket world cup, got a zillion hits - sports were the big hits online for us back in 95/96, blew news out the water all day every day.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 8:01AM

@AFLfan said:

At #76, I fear my lacrosse collection will be of limited monetary value for the foreseeable future.

That's how I feel about my bowling collection lol. Its at #75.

Ignore list -Basebal21

I'm not aware of the #18. A sport called snooker?? Picture looks like pool/billiards but that is listed at #56.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:

It depends on the grade. ;)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL is #1 with me and that’s all I’m concerned with

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of those sports in the second 50, i've never heard of, and i have no intention at all of Googling them to find out. LOL

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Some of those sports in the second 50, i've never heard of, and i have no intention at all of Googling them to find out. LOL

Yea I’m not that concerned about finding out the specs of the #1 ranked sport in Sri Lanka 😂😂😂

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

In America, football will always be the most popular sport. I tried watching a soccer game one time, it was the best sleep I ever had.

@doubledragon said:
    In America, football will always be the most popular sport. I tried watching a soccer game one time, it was the best sleep I ever had.

I'm sure people in other countries say the same thing about American football :|

Ignore list -Basebal21

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    I'm not aware of the #18. A sport called snooker?? Picture looks like pool/billiards but that is listed at #56.

A different version of billiards. Smaller balls, larger table. Popular in Europe and really big in the UK.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@coolstanley said:

A different version of billiards. Smaller balls, larger table. Popular in Europe and really big in the UK.

m

Don't get snookered

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you look at that list, I'd say as Americans we're pretty sure about what we like to do/watch(not much) and not interested in really anything else. once you get past the Top 20 the U.S. sort of vanishes. like everyone else, I'm constantly amazed by the fact that the entire World is enamored with Soccer while we think it's about the most boring thing out there.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

I've bought enough UK multi-sport sets, I would not be surprised if I had the #18 or better snooker card collection in the US. Far too many cricket and rugby cards too, that I can't find a single person stateside interested in.

edited February 1, 2021 5:57PM

@keets said:
    if you look at that list, I'd say as Americans we're pretty sure about what we like to do/watch(not much) and not interested in really anything else. once you get past the Top 20 the U.S. sort of vanishes. like everyone else, I'm constantly amazed by the fact that the entire World is enamored with Soccer while we think it's about the most boring thing out there.

Some people in the U.S. enjoy watching Soccer. When I was in high school in the 80's there were several kids in my class who loved watching the World Cup. Seems popularity has grown since then.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@keets said:

Some people in the U.S. enjoy watching Soccer. When I was in high school in the 80's there were several kids in my class who loved watching the World Cup. Seems popularity has grown since then.

I love it and watch regularly. DrBuster can tell you how in Atlanta they filled their " football "stadium to cheer on their "soccer" team. It's super popular in NY, Miami, Los Angeles, Salt Lake, Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Kansas City, Houston, San Jose, Minneapolis , COLUMBUS, Philly etc

FWIW Michigan Stadium has drawn more than 100,000 in attendance in the past three major soccer matches it has hosted, including a U.S. soccer record 109,318 fans for Manchester United vs. Real Madrid in 2014.

So I think it's that you have people who have zero interest in it and just assume it's not popular because they don't watch it.

I don't think I've missed a World Cup match this century. I've been to several matches in Europe and watch the English Premiere League religiously. I like that the matches are over in less then two hours.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 7:02PM

I like that the matches are over in less then two hours.

they could be faster, just have every game be a shootout, done in a few minutes. real men don't watch soccer, even when their children are playing. :D

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2021 6:05AM

Atlanta United brings more fans into the Benz than the Falcons, each and every game, even when they have the top section 'closed' and it's ~43k fans. Towns where you have a huge 'international' population bring huge crowds to soccer.

I hang out with a bunch of Europeans and we watch games all the time. EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc. They grew up with it like we did with baseball and football, they can pull stats and history and player career info out of thin air like you guys do with baseball/football. Boggles my mind as I'm just a 'fan' of the game and can barely tell you who's on the teams I follow - Germany, Bayern Munich, Atlanta.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i played soccer for over a decade growing up, thus i can appreciate it. it's difficult to explain to someone who couldn't care less how a 0-0 game that goes to kicks can be remotely compelling, but two hours of spacing, cutting and precise passing has the ability to mesmerize you to the point of forgetting that no one has actually scored