Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2020-S PCGS silver Eagle MS69 Error?

I purchased some 2020-(S) First Strike PCGS MS69 Silver Eagle-Emergency Issue coins/slabs. This small error caught my eye because of its location along the rim of the coin. I am new to collecting and would like to know:
1. What kind of error is this?
2. I have read that some errors do not increase of the value of a coin, but would this error increase or decrease the value of the coin?
3. Does this anomaly effect the grade of the coin? It was graded MS69 and is still in the original slab.

I took these photos through the plastic slab.

Thank you.

Best Answers

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 1:39AM Answer ✓

Welcome to the forum! :)

What you are seeing may be a rim nick.
    There is a better chance what you are seeing is a small notch in the plastic slab to keep the coin from turning in the holder. ;)

Edited to add:
    Ooops, being a 2020 coin that holder would not have that type of notch to hold the coin. I'm going to say a rim nick.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

I see a ding. A minor one but a ding none the less

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pdrake .... Welcome aboard... Those are good pictures, however, could we see a picture of the full coin? I would like to determine where the coin/capsule interface is before giving my opinion. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a rim ding. Could be the reason why it's in a 69 holder.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

pdrake, I'm saying rim ding. Very minor. It's not a true error and will not change the value one way or the other.

Answers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file