Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ut-oh, I accidentally bought a half cent with some verdigris on it, what should I do?

Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2021 8:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just picked up this coin from my post office box today and it has some green verdigris looking stuff on the reverse rim at 5 o’clock. I bought it off eBay. I went back and looked and the green spot is clearly visible on the auction pictures, so I take full blame for not noticing it. The buyer doesn’t accept returns, and I probably wouldn’t return it if they did accept returns because I should have noticed it. Do you think the verdigris will grow and ruin the coin? Should I just make sure the coin doesn’t get stored where it would get humidity? Or is it something where I should crack it out and soak it in mineral oil to preserve the coin? Thanks, in advance, for any replies. Here’s some pictures I just took, I noticed the green as I was imaging the coin. It’s an AU58 and I really like the coin, except I’m worried about that green stuff.

Mr_Spud

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that wasn't in the seller's pics, return it, if it was, oh well. Not sure whether conservation would remove it or not. According to what damage has been done beneath it, would determine success or not. From my experience, removing it with olive oil and a thorn still leaves and area untoned. Good luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

The green spot was clearly visible in the auction pictures, so it’s my bad. But at least the other half cent I bought from the same buyer, a classic head, doesn’t have any verdigris. I would have been more upset if it was on that one cause it cost more. Here’s a picture of that one that I just took, I really like it. It’s an AU58 too

Mr_Spud

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could try contacting the seller, explaining your concern and offer to pay for the fees he's incurred if he'd take it back. Maybe he'd make an exception to his policy.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, I'd crack it out and remove that green booger. At least it's at the rim. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay has a buyer protection policy that you can still send it back for a refund, no matter if the seller says no returns. Just check "I did not like it" when they ask you for a reason for returning the item. The seller can say no returns, but ebay will let you start a case anyway and return it for a refund, if you do it right away. After all, they get their coin back and you get your money back. However, the seller could and most likely will then ban you from any future bidding on his auctions.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think the seller will mind if you're keeping one and returning the other. He'll know you're being honest, or at least he should.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the eBay listing:

Return policy
    After receiving the item, contact seller within: 14 days
    Refund will be given as: Money back
    Return shipping: Buyer pays for return shipping

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    Ebay has a buyer protection policy that you can still send it back for a refund, no matter if the seller says no returns. Just check "I did not like it" when they ask you for a reason for returning the item. The seller can say no returns, but ebay will let you start a case anyway and return it for a refund, if you do it right away. After all, they get their coin back and you get your money back. However, the seller could and most likely will then ban you from any future bidding on his auctions.

That policy is if an item isn’t described properly. Bought something described properly with no returns and you don’t like it? Don’t bid on items with no returns. Your attitude is one that sellers hate, and frankly, if you think this is acceptable, I’d happily block you now.

As for the OP, he said he missed it and I appreciate that honesty. It can’t hurt to email the seller (be very nice, apologize, and offer to cover any costs included PayPal fees that won’t be refunded), and see what happens. But if he says no, then that’s his prerogative.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2021 11:28PM

@airplanenut said:

@rec78 said:

That policy is if an item isn’t described properly. Bought something described properly with no returns and you don’t like it? Don’t bid on items with no returns. Your attitude is one that sellers hate, and frankly, if you think this is acceptable, I’d happily block you now.

As for the OP, he said he missed it and I appreciate that honesty. It can’t hurt to email the seller (be very nice, apologize, and offer to cover any costs included PayPal fees that won’t be refunded), and see what happens. But if he says no, then that’s his prerogative.

No, it happened to me, I was the seller, not the buyer. I never return anything. The buyer used that as an excuse to return it. And yes I did ban the buyer from bidding on my auctions. It was for a $15 box of 50 random 45's (all in excellent condition btw). I sold them for $15 postage included. He returned them and paid more postage (He returnded them by priotity mail) then he paid for it. I mailed them media mail which left me a small profit. I sold over 100 boxes of these with no other complaints. I just sold them to someone else.

Edited to add: No, I don't think it is acceptable, but there is nothing you can do about it. You don't need any reason other then "I just don't like it".

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like fresh verdigris to me. Flakey, light green. I'll bet it is removed easily with Verdicare. Yeah, it might be a little shiny underneath. But at least it will be gone.

So crack it and fix it yourself (I would). Or submit it for conservation -- more expensive but with some assurance it will slab problem free afterward.
    Lance.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin with the green spot better than the one with all the little pecks and digs.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:

@airplanenut said:

@rec78 said:

No, it happened to me, I was the seller, not the buyer. I never return anything. The buyer used that as an excuse to return it. And yes I did ban the buyer from bidding on my auctions. It was for a $15 box of 50 random 45's (all in excellent condition btw). I sold them for $15 postage included. He returned them and paid more postage (He returnded them by priotity mail) then he paid for it. I mailed them media mail which left me a small profit. I sold over 100 boxes of these with no other complaints. I just sold them to someone else.

Edited to add: No, I don't think it is acceptable, but there is nothing you can do about it. You don't need any reason other then "I just don't like it".

But why even suggest it as an option? If someone said they were looking for some item at Target but thought it was too expensive, would you suggest they steal it because it's under the threshold where Target will pursue them? Of course not. It's unethical. Even if you can do something, it doesn't mean you should, and certainly you shouldn't encourage others to do it.

@lkeigwin said:
    That looks like fresh verdigris to me. Flakey, light green. I'll bet it is removed easily with Verdicare. Yeah, it might be a little shiny underneath. But at least it will be gone.

So crack it and fix it yourself (I would). Or submit it for conservation -- more expensive but with some assurance it will slab problem free afterward.

I'm not sure how much (if any) verdigris can be on a coin with it holdered as problem-free, but it's also possible that the coin could be submitted under the grade guarantee and conserved for free. I don't know enough about the odds to say how likely this is, but maybe someone else can opine on that.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2021 3:29AM

@airplanenut said:

@rec78 said:

@airplanenut said:

@rec78 said:

But why even suggest it as an option? If someone said they were looking for some item at Target but thought it was too expensive, would you suggest they steal it because it's under the threshold where Target will pursue them? Of course not. It's unethical. Even if you can do something, it doesn't mean you should, and certainly you shouldn't encourage others to do it.

@lkeigwin said:

I'm not sure how much (if any) verdigris can be on a coin with it holdered as problem-free, but it's also possible that the coin could be submitted under the grade guarantee and conserved for free. I don't know enough about the odds to say how likely this is, but maybe someone else can opine on that.

Because it is an option. I gave him information. I was not trying to encourage him to do anything. I did not say he "should do it". I said he "could do it". Your comparison to stealing does not make any sense. Yes, please do put me on your banned bidders list. With an attitude like yours, I don't want to buy anything from you. It is posts like yours that drive people away from this website. I stopped posting here about 5 years ago because of people like you and just came back about two months ago. I may leave again for awhile. I don't post here to be aggravated. This is my last post for this thread.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send the coin to the TPG for conservation. A small fee, but you will get a job well done and reholdered. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Send the coin to the TPG for conservation. A small fee, but you will get a job well done and reholdered. Cheers, RickO

Don't crack it out. It is probably stable and is fine but Ricko's suggestion is the way to go if you want it conserved.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would contact the seller, admit an honest oversight mistake, pay all shipping to return the coin.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

See if you can work something out, like adults, with the seller. If that doesn’t work, either fix it yourself or have it restored. Ignoring it is a poor option.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@lkeigwin said:

PCGS no longer guarantees (and conserves for free) coins that develop environmental damage. They dropped that at least six years ago. I think the silver milk spotting uproar was the metaphorical straw.
    Lance.

• Options

Thanks everyone for your comments/advice. Even seeing the little argument about getting sellers upset helps me determine what to do.

I’m going to leave the coin alone for now, but I’ll send it in to PCGS to conserve in the future the next time I send in some coins for grading. That way it will have a greater chance of getting reholdered at the same grade and I won’t have to risk damaging the coin cracking it out. I never cracked a coin out of a slab before and I’d actually be more worried the coin would get scratched by a plastic shard than I would be about removing the Verdigris.

I don’t blame the seller and I don’t blame PCGS for not guaranteeing slabbed copper because it’s normal for old copper to do this. I also don’t really mind the green spot because it’s on the rim, I just don’t want it to grow and eat the coin.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Thanks everyone for your comments/advice. Even seeing the little argument about getting sellers upset helps me determine what to do.

I’m going to leave the coin alone for now, but I’ll send it in to PCGS to conserve in the future the next time I send in some coins for grading. That way it will have a greater chance of getting reholdered at the same grade and I won’t have to risk damaging the coin cracking it out. I never cracked a coin out of a slab before and I’d actually be more worried the coin would get scratched by a plastic shard than I would be about removing the Verdigris.

I don’t blame the seller and I don’t blame PCGS for not guaranteeing slabbed copper because it’s normal for old copper to do this. I also don’t really mind the green spot because it’s on the rim, I just don’t want it to grow and eat the coin.

Don't be surprised if this spot is stable and it doesn't change before you eventually send it in to PCGS. It looks like a tiny blob of resin that could be pushed with a toothpick and just fall off.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't be surprised if this spot is stable and it doesn't change before you eventually send it in to PCGS. It looks like a tiny blob of resin that could be pushed with a toothpick and just fall off.

I agree with this assessment.
    I'll also add, you may want to analyze all the costs involved with sending it back to PCGS.
    Unless you really love that particular coin, you could wind up sinking a significant cost into shipping/insurance/restoration/regarding.....since I'm assuming you just wanted it as a type coin, you might consider just selling it as-is, even for a small loss, and then finding another w/o any issues.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file