Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Middle Georgia Coin Show report

goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the FUN show was cancelled, I have been itching to go to a coin show. At the last minute I decided to go to the Middle Georgia Coin show in Perry. Perry is about 100 miles southeast of Atlanta.

I left home at daylight on Thursday. After an hour and a half I went to the drive thru at Hardee's for breakfast. After a few rest stops and a stop for lunch I arrived in Perry at late day. I used some hotels points for free nights at the hotel.

The show was held at the Georgia National Fair Grounds. It is a nice facility with plenty of free parking. I arrived just before the 10 AM opening on Friday. There were about two dozen of us waiting to enter the show. Masks were mandatory. There were around 50 bourse tables. People continued to arrive at the show and by 11AM there was a decent crowd.

There was a fairly good selection of material at the show. There were a lot of raw coins, slabbed modern coins, ancient coins and a couple for currency dealers. One dealer had an 1884 Proof Set in PCGS 64-65 Cam priced at $13,750. One dealer had a $50 Reeded Edge Slug 880 fine in NGC 45. I saw an 1836 Script 8 $2.5 Classic Head Gold in PCGS 62 with great gold toning that was sticker priced at $3500. That coin sold in a May 2020 Heritage auction for $3120. I did not get any bullion prices. Sorry Ricko.

I talked to a currency dealer at length about the good old days. After two passes of the floor I had found nothing that I needed. I went out for dinner and then headed back to my hotel.

I checked out of the hotel early Saturday morning and started for home. I came across two traffic jams one of which was a granddaddy of jams. I exited the interstate and drove the back roads for a short time to get around the problem.

I am glad that I went to the show but hope to get to a larger show soon.

Comments

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Thanks for show report.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was one of the ones waiting to get in.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent report. Thank you.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    One dealer had an 1884 Proof Set in PCGS 64-65 Cam priced at $13,750. One dealer had a $50 Reeded Edge Slug 880 fine in NGC 45. >

That's pretty good for a show of this size I would think. I live in Atlanta but never heard of it. I have meant to go to the Dalton show but never made it a priority.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done as always!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report, thank you for posting it!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

@WCC said:

@golden said:
    One dealer had an 1884 Proof Set in PCGS 64-65 Cam priced at $13,750. One dealer had a $50 Reeded Edge Slug 880 fine in NGC 45. >

That's pretty good for a show of this size I would think. I live in Atlanta but never heard of it. I have meant to go to the Dalton show but never made it a priority.

I got an email today about the Dalton show. They said that the venue says that they have to have a wider space between aisles so they are eliminating exhibits at the show. It looks like the show is a go at present. The show normally has around 150 dealers. Make it a priority to come up to the show.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show report. Encouraged that shows can be held responsibly. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show report. I am glad to hear they are using safe procedures. I may have walked out the door with that Classic Head MS62. Finger's crossed the April Central States show can happen along with the summer ANA Worlds Fair of Money.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden.... Thanks for an interesting show report. No problem regarding bullion prices... I think they are being held right now in anticipation of a rise anyway. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some day (maybe in retirement) I will have to make my way to a show or two in Georgia. There is a coin dealer located there that has some interesting coins but uses what appear to be scans that don't show much in terms of luster. I would love to see them in hand before buying. This one and the the Dalton show would be of interest.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. Maybe someday we will get back to normal.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

If you didnt buy anything, at least you can tell us what you had at Hardee's for breakfast!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great show report. Thank you for sharing!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    Some day (maybe in retirement) I will have to make my way to a show or two in Georgia. There is a coin dealer located there that has some interesting coins but uses what appear to be scans that don't show much in terms of luster. I would love to see them in hand before buying. This one and the the Dalton show would be of interest.

Don't wait till retirement to go to Dalton. It is the best show in the Southeast outside of FUN.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Can I get a recount of the number of dealer tables at the show? ;)

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2021 10:44AM

Did not know there was a show in Perry. Dalton yes, Atlanta/Marietta monthly, but not Perry. Thanks for the report.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file