Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do sellers hope to achieve by AT'ing blatant problem coins

Case in point this turd ugly stained 1879 CC with clear damage to the left field on the observe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1879-CC-AU-MORGAN-SILVER-DOLLAR-KEY-DATE-HARD-THIS-NICE-446/303866862334?hash=item46bfe05afe:g:qGEAAOSw5DpgFJyu

IMO the actual value of the coin has dropped from the AT job. Freaking ridiculous how they prey on the uninformed to sell this garbage.

Comments

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

He hopes to achieve $895

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

No mystery. People do sometimes buy pigs wearing lipstick.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude even juices the truviews. What a joke!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

$$$

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Profit.... In a word, that is his objective. And they often achieve it, because of the tarnish craze. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 6:01PM

I was looking at a lowly 1961 proof Lincoln cent today for some color.

At least 30 examples from the same dealer.

Disgusting. Remembered why I swore off toners.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 8:32PM

For them it pays better than buying lottery tickets or the dead end no hope low paying job they have if any.

The other thing I think is greed on part of buyers they will rip some raw super looking toner get graded and sell it for moon money.

The toner craze thing (tarnished coins) reminds me of 1964 when people were paying $1000 a roll for 1950-D nickels. I remember as a teen selling a coin shop 13 1969-s proof sets for $18 each there in 1969 I had $5 in the buyer was convinced they were going up. My first major coin deal. I used that money buy my first gold coin a gem BU super luster 1907 Saint for $83 which I picked out of the guys binder of gold coins in 2x2 at another shop which probably somewhere is in a 66 or 67 holder. A coin fad has its day in the sun then flames out into oblivion. What’s a fad today that you think might flame out? Better churn that investment or you could be left holding the bag.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 7:53PM

Want a nasty silver dollar for big money, ebay is where to start your search.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Money.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 8:12AM

Also - Probably the AT hobbyist too embarrassed have it in his case at a show but using bay as dumping ground / experimental project site.

A lot of them have shifted to coins cheaper material typically sold raw so as not to generate questions why not slabbed but certainly at high markup.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@basetsb said:
    He hopes to achieve $895

No longer available. Has it ben sold?

• Options

Agreed money seems to be the big driver.

@Cougar1978
    I love hearing stories of the old days. and appreciate analogies you put in there. I am not usre what is a fad currently, it seems like coin collecting has dropped off since I was last collecting around 09-12. Bullion was driving interest that time around.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 3:10PM

I actually think a portion of it is novice/ uneducated buyers looking to get into the toned market on the relative cheap and sellers targeting that audience.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pig + Lipstick (or clown paint) = Obscene Profit™

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big bucks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file