Home Sports Talk
Options

Off-season movie mania

13»

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Spoiler alert - Dorothy made it home safely.

Spoiler alert. She never left.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still waiting for Avengers Endgame to come on TV sometime when
    I have time to watch it. Maybe next week when I have the whole week off.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    in real life i think Cruise is, shall we say, a tad eccentric

on screen he's my fav actor, oddly enough

So to tie it back to sports, and to go back to his early days, have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/rHgc1Hj_3BA

• Options
    edited February 4, 2021 9:13PM

I enjoyed the movie 'A quiet place' with John Krasinski but they really
    could have used a farmer for a technical advisor on that film.
    How did all that corn get planted? Those monsters had been around for more than a year
    and all those acres of corn were planted that spring, only a few months before.
    And that's not volunteer corn, it didn't come up by itself. Its planted in rows, and not by hand.
    It took a tractor and planter, and tractor's make a lot of noise. So anybody on that tractor
    would have been killed after going what, ten feet. 1,000+ people would have been killed planting all that corn. :o
    And the scene with the kids in the grain bin partly full of corn. You don't sink in grain like its quicksand or something.
    You do if the corn is being augered out from the bottom of the pile of corn, many farmers have been killed that way.
    But nobody is augering corn out of that bin. They would maybe sink to their ankles.
    And also why does that corn look so fresh like it was put in the bin yesterday. With a gaping hole in the roof
    that corn would have been rained on several times since its over a year old because that years corn
    hadn't been harvested yet as you can see its still green in the fields. The corn in the bin
    would have been spoiled by moisture and the smell would have stunk to high heaven.
    Yes I would have been a great technical advisor for this film, it just doesn't make any sense.

• Options

Check out this image. This is grain that is being augered out of a bin.
    That man would be pulled down and suffocated or injured or killed by the auger if he wasn't
    harnessed with a rope. And actually he shouldn't be in that bin at all with that much grain
    left in it. And this ends today's lesson on grain bin safety.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2021 11:15PM

@Bullsitter said:
    I really enjoyed this one.

Bull we have seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood at least 50 times. We get hooked every time while channel surfing. We were at the premier in LA as well. I met QT when he has a manager at a video store and still run into from time to time. One strange dude. In my opinion he hasn’t made a bad movie

Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown
    Kill Bill: Volume 1
    Kill Bill: Volume 2
    Death Proof
    Inglorious Basterds
    Django Unchained
    The Hateful Eight
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Plus he wrote one of my favorite movies True Romance. That’s where I got the name for my Bull Mastiff from. Alabama

Think of all the stars that have been in his movies. Mind boggling

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Check out this image. This is grain that is being augered out of a bin.
    That man would be pulled down and suffocated or injured or killed by the auger if he wasn't
    harnessed with a rope. And actually he shouldn't be in that bin at all with that much grain
    left in it. And this ends today's lesson on grain bin safety.

I didn't realize all of this. How did you learn about this stuff? I didn't realize farming and grain could be so dangerous. I would probably have jumped into the grain bin because it looks like it would be fun to jump around in if I were a kid playing or something.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Bullsitter said:

Bull we have seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood at least 50 times. We get hooked every time while channel surfing. We were at the premier in LA as well. I met QT when he has a manager at a video store and still run into from time to time. One strange dude. In my opinion he hasn’t made a bad movie

Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown
    Death Proof
    Inglorious Basterds
    Django Unchained
    The Hateful Eight

Plus he wrote one of my favorite movies True Romance. That’s where I got the name for my Bull Mastiff from. Alabama

m

Agree. We’ve watched it 50 times and just purchased the 4K Ultra HD Blue Ray.

Favorite lines.
    How were those pickles?
    Real good! They were the fancy kind!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Bullsitter said:

Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown
    Death Proof
    Inglorious Basterds
    Django Unchained
    The Hateful Eight

m

Yep, I've watched it many times too. That's cool that you got to go to the premier in LA.

I like all his stuff.

The scene in Jackie Brown with De Niro and Fonda in the parking lot was epic.
    "Lewis, Lewis, is it over here?"

I've seen Death Proof a few times also...

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2021 8:42AM

@Darin That's some interesting details. Thank you for sharing.

Edit to add: In all seriousness, maybe you should become an advisor on such matters. I know that this exists for many types of areas in film, but also for writers, etc.

• Options

@2dueces said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Bullsitter said:

Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown
    Death Proof
    Inglorious Basterds
    Django Unchained
    The Hateful Eight

m

Agree. We’ve watched it 50 times and just purchased the 4K Ultra HD Blue Ray.

Favorite lines.
    How were those pickles?
    Real good! They were the fancy kind!

My fav was the exchange between Cliff and Tex over Tex's name

Tex- " I'm the devil, and I came to do the devil's business".

Cliff- " Naw, It was something dumber then that".

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

• Options

I saw Once upon a time in Hollywood. Did like the scene where the Manson followers
    got what was coming to them. A little revisionist history there wasn't it?
    But I prefer Once upon a time in the West. The classic from Sergio Leone.
    Henry Fonda plays the bad guy and he wanted to wear dark contact lenses to make his eyes brown.
    He thought his character would look more menacing. Leone said no, he wanted the audience to
    see a closeup of those baby blues after his dastardly act in his first scene in the movie and be completely shocked.

• Options

@Darin said:
    I saw Once upon a time in Hollywood. Did like the scene where the Manson followers

That's what made it so great. Loved the alt ending and creative story telling. Pitt and Decapria couldn't have been better.

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Darin said:

That's what made it so great. Loved the alt ending and creative story telling. Pitt and Decapria couldn't have been better.

m

Brad Pitt finally won a well deserved Oscar. Wife’s favorite scene is when Brad hops on the roof and takes his shirt off.
    The wife and I have an understanding. If Brad Pitt calls her she’s free to go and if Jennifer Aniston or Kate Beckinsale calls I’m free to go.
    Another favorite line from the movies is when Steve McQueen says about Sharon Tate.
    “I never had a chance.”

Same with me with Kate. She likes 20 year old boys.

“I never had a chance!”

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another one of my all time favorites

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Another one of my all time favorites

Forrest Gump in reverse. A favorite of mine too.

W.C.Fields