Home Precious Metals

General Motors Electric Vehicles / Silver Usage to Make These Vehicles

CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

GM announced that they will phase out gas operated vehicles by 2035. They will only produce electric vehicles after 2035.

GM is talking about spending 30 billion dollars between now and 2025 to develop 30 brands of electric vehicles,

Do you think this switch to these electric vehicles, and the need for silver used in the production of these vehicles, will drive silver prices to new heights?

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 3:19PM

Not any more than solar panels have.

I would buy lithium and keep my ear to the ground on new battery technology.

I see there is a Washington proposal to eventually require all fed gov automobiles to be be battery powered. This particular demand will throw cost and efficiency out the window and will be heavily lobbied by potential suppliers. Pick the ultimate supplier and you've got a winning stock.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it is misguided and will require enormous power requirements or technology changes. Cheers, RickO

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it is misguided and will require enormous power requirements or technology changes. Cheers, RickO

And a costly infrastructure that requires maintenance. EV proponents have yet to explain how all this electricity being generated, transmitted and distributed to charge EVs is somehow more efficient or less expensive than hydrocarbon-powered internal combustion engines.

The answer - it's not. It's more expensive and inefficient than any other transportation system I can think of.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

And a costly infrastructure that requires maintenance. EV proponents have yet to explain how all this electricity being generated, transmitted and distributed to charge EVs is somehow more efficient or less expensive than hydrocarbon-powered internal combustion engines.

The answer - it's not. It's more expensive and inefficient than any other transportation system I can think of.

Does not matter. People want EVs ...liberal Govs demand EVs...GM knows this...the infrastructure will materialize as it scales.
    OP: Yes, this is good for Silver.

Loves me some shiny!
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

I see there is a Washington proposal to eventually require all fed gov automobiles to be be battery powered. This particular demand will throw cost and efficiency out the window and will be heavily lobbied by potential suppliers. Pick the ultimate supplier and you've got a winning stock.

From what I've read Lithium is very abundant and the supply exceeds the demand 10 fold. Zero emissions fuel imo is where we should head. Batteries fail eventually, what's the cost to replace the battery in a typical Tesla? What do you do with the old one? Anyone in GEVO?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nickel is the bigger play. Elon is talking about buying a Nickel mining company.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    Nickel is the bigger play. Elon is talking about buying a Nickel mining company.

Hmm...
    I still have the couple of boxes of nickels I bought at the bank some years ago, back when the metal content was above 5 cents. Looking at coinflation.com, I see they are now at about 5.15 cents each "melt" value (of course, you can't get that for them, and you aren't supposed to melt them currently, but you can always get 5 cents for them).

So maybe it is time to get some more boxes of nickels ?

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 4:18AM

@dcarr said:

@Clackamas1 said:

Hmm...
    I still have the couple of boxes of nickels I bought at the bank some years ago, back when the metal content was above 5
    So maybe it is time to get some more boxes of nickels ?

Do it by the 10,000 ton range and you could make some money. US Nickels are 75% copper and 25% nickel. To you and I peanuts, to Tesla and the US mint, it matters. Nickel is up 35% this year and is at an all time high. https://markets.businessinsider.com/commodities/nickel-price

• Electric vehicles will also drastically limit the miles you can drive the vehicle.
    Won't need a "Stay at home" order. The car won't go that far. :|

edited February 3, 2021 11:30AM

i'm building an EV that has solar panels on the roof to charge the batteries and give it longer range. Think of all those car tops out there just baking in the sun.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

@derryb said:

Gigafactory Demand Leads To Price Explosion In Battery-Grade Lithium

• Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    GM announced that they will phase out gas operated vehicles by 2035. They will only produce electric vehicles after 2035.

That's OK, I don't buy GM vehicles now!

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OliverDePlaise said: “ Electric vehicles will also drastically limit the miles you can drive the vehicle.”

Some Tesla’s have a 400 mile range. That’s more than my current gas car.

Higashiyama
  • OliverDePlaiseOliverDePlaise Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

@Higashiyama said:
    @OliverDePlaise said: “ Electric vehicles will also drastically limit the miles you can drive the vehicle.”

Enough to get to the middle of the Mojave from 300 miles away. :p

• OliverDePlaiseOliverDePlaise Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

With a fillup, my Forester can have a range of 450-525 or so. :)

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s funny you say that because my wife and I have just started looking at Foresters!

Higashiyama
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2021 7:34AM

@Higashiyama said:

I once got 724 miles on my 5200 pound Ram pickup. That 764 mile range was just after i fueled up. My truck identifies as a Prius.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2021 8:37AM

I got close to 500 miles on my ram 5.7 hemi last time we did a roader, cruise control at 75-80 and ~19+mpg. I take it yours is diesel?

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, a diesel.

19+ isnt bad for an 8 cyclinder truck at those speeds.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It runs on 4 cyl if not pressed and cruise controlled. AC on full blast too for July in Florida.