Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What happened around here?

Since this forum is about world coins, I'll post one before I get to my question:

This forum used to be very active. There are a lot of names I no longer see posting here. For example, I used to learn a lot from @Conder101 and @Aethelred (and I thank you very much for your knowledge and input!). I've seen @Conder101 posting on another forum, but I haven't seen @Aethelred at all. Does anybody know where he is? Why the very low number of posts here? Is world coin collecting out of style these days? Just curious.

I know that after the closing of the old open forum, a bunch of people went to a newly created forum (started, I think, by @coincopswife), and that place quickly became rather harsh, so I left it too. I can't even find that forum now.

Anyway, questions done, and thanks in advance for any input.

My OmniCoin Collection
My BankNoteBank Collection
Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.

Comments

• AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the input, @neildrobertson. About a dozen years ago, there were usually two whole pages of new posts per day. Activity appears to have dropped off by a bunch.

My OmniCoin Collection
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 1:26PM

@AuldFartte said:
    Thanks for the input, @neildrobertson. About a dozen years ago, there were usually two whole pages of new posts per day. Activity appears to have dropped off by a bunch.

We had an older version of the forum software and the pages were much smaller back then ;)

Edit to add: nice Florin!

• farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Conder101 was banned several years ago. :(

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 4:35PM

Be the change you want to see ....

I like that !😊

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used to be much more variety here. It's become more of a specialty site

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't this the board for Central and South American coins?! Of course, I am kidding. I enjoy @Boosibri and @TwoKopeiki 's enthusiasm and their collecting knowledge!

I'd love to see more variety.

For my own part, this has been a slow year, coin-wise, as I have purchased many fewer coins; and a MUCH busier year professionally with COVID. Several other folks who posted more regularly seem to be quite as well...

My current "Box of 20"

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:
    Be the change you want to see...

World collecting in general seems to be gaining more momentum than US collecting. I don't think what you are observing is indicative of the hobby in general.

I absolutely agree with this comment. Also, I think @Bob13 is right in the sense that there is a strong presence of Hispanic / Latin-American coinage. And I do not complaint as that is my area of interest. But I enjoy the posts by others in other areas and I am sure we all would welcome some variety! BTW @AuldFartte lovely piece! We all learn when others post even if in areas that are not our primary interest and I am enthusiastic to see postings from any aspect of world numismatics.

@Zohar said:
    Used to be much more variety here. It's become more of a specialty site

I bought 11 coins from the recent auction of Cape Coral collection of European crowns !

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is what we make it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think you need to have purchased a coin in order to make an informative post.

@coinkat said:
    It is what we make it.

I agree. I try to do my part in posting what I think are interesting topics, but from a collection standpoint I'm pretty boring :/

@TwoKopeiki said:

@coinkat said:
    It is what we make it.

I agree. I try to do my part in posting what I think are interesting topics, but from a collection standpoint I'm pretty boring :/

Ahh says you 😉

• StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@coinkat said:
    It is what we make it.

I disagree that your collecting interests are boring!

On the topic of world coin collecting and its popularity, I would say that the market seems to still be expanding. Having worked in the auction world for a while, I have seen more and more US coin collectors start purchasing ancients or world coins in the last year or two, and prices in many areas are strong.

However, this area of the forum tends to have less posting than the US coin side. I never quite understood why myself.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of them, like Lord M & Aethelred, moved to Cointalk, which is where I mainly post too.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronzemat said:
    A lot of them, like Lord M & Aethelred, moved to Cointalk, which is where I mainly post too.

You're all missed by me

• MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

@bronzemat said:

A lot of us post on both forums but CoinTalk is where most of the action is now.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I visited CoinTalk, it seemed like a larger group of people, but with an overall lower quality of posts.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrBreeze said:

@bronzemat said:

A lot of us post on both forums but CoinTalk is where most of the action is now.

It seems like this world coin board is still more active than theirs.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

edited January 29, 2021 9:54AM

@farthing said:
    Conder101 was banned several years ago. :(

Aww, now that's just not right. He was great :(

Edit to add: Hi, @farthing! Great to see you. I hope you are well :)

My OmniCoin Collection
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    When I visited CoinTalk, it seemed like a larger group of people, but with an overall lower quality of posts.

———
    I guess that depends on your definition of “quality.”

I like these boards, but 90% of the posts are by probably 10-15 people - most with very (very) deep pockets. CoinTalk is more diverse and can be less “stuffy” than here. It’s all perspective!

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aethelred runs his own coin shop in Ashville, N.C. Visited a couple of years ago and
    he was doing very well. Coin Talk seems to be slowing down just as the CU forums are.
    When two days worth of posts stay on the first page then the crickets are not far behind.

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it’s just not worth posting at the risk of getting flamed. I know what I’m collecting is right for me and a personal endeavor I’m not looking to promote for any reason. It can be fun to share coins and info, but for me I’m learning to put it after my “chores” and attention I can be giving to my wife, kids, pets, clients, etc. Oops gotta go!

There are plenty of coin forums: here, CT, CC, Instagram, Facebook groups, reddit, discord, etc... All have their own pros and cons. If you feel there's not enough action here at a particular point in time, just switch to another platform. I read most of them when I have time, but I post primarily here and on IG.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience, save very few cases, I think everyone is welcoming to all posting. I enjoy reading others, looking at coins that are not specifically in my area, learning, and having a good time.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both aethelred and lordmarcovan are doing well. I communicate with them regularly. Aethelred has a coin shop in Asheville, NC. and is busy with that.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

@Abuelo said:
    In my experience, save very few cases, I think everyone is welcoming to all posting. I enjoy reading others, looking at coins that are not specifically in my area, learning, and having a good time.

that is my attitude as well

@WildIdea said:
    Sometimes it’s just not worth posting at the risk of getting flamed.

I didn't think that was the case here.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2021 1:16PM

@TwoKopeiki said:

@WildIdea said:

Neither do I.
    For sure.
    Even though my coins and the subjects that interest me might not interest everyone here I still hang to learn, see all the beautiful coins and enjoy the respectful, coin geek vibe.
    Great neighborhood

@ajaan said:
    Both aethelred and lordmarcovan are doing well. I communicate with them regularly. Aethelred has a coin shop in Asheville, NC. and is busy with that.

@ajaan Please say hello to @Aethelred for me next time you communicate with him. I learned a lot from him (and YOU for that matter!) and I always enjoyed his posts. I communicate with @lordmarcovan on another site. Thanks!

My OmniCoin Collection
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2021 1:52PM

@TwoKopeiki said:

@WildIdea said:

I won't double down on this, because flamed may be a bit strong. I'll try to clarify that in any pubic forum, putting up a post leaves one open to criticism at a minimum. Singling out one sentence form a 5 line post kinda proves my point. I'm just thinking out loud that folks probably have things that compete for time. I know sometimes I put more time and energy into online forums and apps than I have time for and I'm always evaluating the upside of participation. Maybe this goes without saying.

• Another thought...this may have nothing to do with coins, content etc. With COVID people are isolated nd spending so much time online (work, school, social contacts etc.) that they get burned out with online forums.

Just a word of encouragement for you.

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

The open forum is here now.

http://www.popforum.space/viewforum.php?f=7

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I belong to a couple of other forums but at this time am only active here and on a Canadian forum. barely post on others. Maybe i should?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't been on cointalk in a few years there were a few high volume posters there that just absolutely ruined the site for me. Said posters have absurdly obvious biases and no interest in anything not confirming those biases and just bark back and forth with each other all day long with no chance at changing the others opinion. It was exhausting for me just opening their threads can't imagine what it was like for them participating.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have shifted to Instagram where there is always feedback. I find this forum very much focused on Latin coins and some British. Not many Taler fans and posting takes some time and effort. CT is far broader in interests and gets more engagement. I personally have shifted to FB and IG.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I work with Aethelred, I'll show him this thread. He doesn't get on the forums that much lately.

@asheland said:
    I work with Aethelred, I'll show him this thread. He doesn't get on the forums that much lately.

Thanks, @asheland !

My OmniCoin Collection
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

Thought I would stop in and say "hello" to everyone. I am sorry that I do not get to post here more often than I do, but life is busy right now. I keep thinking "I need to post on CU more."

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does seem that an increasing percentage of the posts are being written by a decreasing number of members.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.