Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is David Lawrence Rare Coins a legit place to buy from?

I was on Facebook and saw one of their advertisements so I went to check out their website and saw they had tons of coins for sale & auction.

Does anyone know if DLRC is a legitimate site to buy from?

Comments

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks! :)

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2021 2:54AM

Very legit.

Hansen @DLHansen trusts them: https://www.davidlawrence.com/hansen

You can also ask John Brush @JBatDavidLawrence who posts here. He's President and Owner of David Lawrence.

@Zoins said:
    Very legit.

You can also ask John Brush @JBatDavidLawrence who posts here. He's President and Owner of David Lawrence.

Oh ok thanks!

I’m just trying to be careful because I know there are a lot of sites selling fake stuff from China.

Like all those websites that will happily sell an MS 1804 Bust Dollar for $19.99. :lol:

I’m trying to find more legit sites other than APMEX & JM Bullion.

Also I was looking at DLRC and they have a Trade Dollar I really want to buy.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

They check out

@Zoins said:

@MKUltra24 said:

@Zoins said:
    Very legit.

Oh ok thanks!

I’m just trying to be careful because I know there are a lot of sites selling fake stuff from China.

Like all those websites that will happily sell an MS 1804 Bust Dollar for $19.99. :lol:

I’m trying to find more legit sites other than APMEX & JM Bullion.

Also I was looking at DLRC and they have a Trade Dollar I really want to buy.

Is that $19.99 ;)

No. Lol!

It’s priced at $1,050 with the option to make an offer so I was going to offer to buy it for $1,000.

But when dealing with large (to me) amounts of money like that I want to make sure I’m buying from somewhere legitimate.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they have been around many years. I have purchased from them years ago.

@rec78 said:
    Yes, they have been around many years. I have purchased from them years ago.

@ricko said:
    DLRC has an excellent reputation here and in the industry... Buy with confidence. Cheers, RickO

Oh ok thanks! :)

I just wanted to be sure since I’ve never bought from them before or known anyone who has.

• d9lowed9lowe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought my first coin from them last week. I made an offer on a MS Walking Liberty half listed for 240 and got it for 216. I paid and it shipped the next day. I should get it today. So far i am impressed with the speed of shipping and detailed communication!

@d9lowe said:
    I just bought my first coin from them last week. I made an offer on a MS Walking Liberty half listed for 240 and got it for 216. I paid and it shipped the next day. I should get it today. So far i am impressed with the speed of shipping and detailed communication!

@giorgio11 said:
    I have dealt with them for years and they are absolutely tip-top in services, reputation, and legitimacy. They handle millions of dollars' worth of authentic U.S. coins each year.

Awesome! Sounds like everyone is saying that they are reputable and trustworthy.

Looks like I have another place to look for coins!

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are excellent.

Frank

BHNC #203

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are very good. Ask for their best price, it may be lower than your offer.

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes they are very reputable.

• kauwisckauwisc Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2021 7:55AM

They are a good company now that the Authoritarian has left.

Be careful of Jason Smith. Thinks he's an Expert Numismatist when he is in all actuality, "Show me the Money."

@kauwisc said:
    They are a good company now that the Authoritarian has left.

Be careful of Jason Smith. Thinks he's an Expert Numismatist when he is in all actuality, "Show me the Money."

Who is Jason Smith?

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought a handful of coins from them and they are very reputable. I find in general that they sell their coins at high retail prices and that most of their coins, at least in my area, have been maxed out as far as grade, holder, and CAC status. If they are selling a 4 figure classic pre-1875 gold coin in an NGC holder there’s a good chance that it won’t cross and CAC did not like it.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Often they’ll have their Make An Offer listings set to accept offers 90% of the list price — so you might try an offer of $945 on that Trade dollar listed at $1050.....instead of offering $1000.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

solid

but I've experienced not much wiggle room on offers.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have had good experiences with DLRC, they will also buy back a coin that you have bought from them in the past should you be looking to upgrade.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to pile on, but David Lawrence is a long term coin dealer major stalwart in the field. They're great to consign with, as well.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely - one of my top 4

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been buying from DLRC off and on since 2006. Never an issue. Fast delivery. Somebody is always available during regular business hours to answer your questions or concerns. In my experience, 5 stars!

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the legitist (invented new word). They are fair and honest and offer quick service.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2021 10:36AM

I’ve had nothing but good experiences with them. And they’ve worked with me when I wanted to trade in a number of slabs for a specific one I was targeting.

• FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Very legit - I have had multiple good experiences with them.

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are real and the late founder of the company literally "wrote the book" for the definitive reference guides on Barber dimes, quarters and half dollars.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm happy to join the consensus here: high integrity and excellent communications.

Higashiyama
  • Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’re not going to get any sort of a deal but they have good customer service. Look at recent auction prices and compare elsewhere before you buy from them. 100% upstanding and reliable, though. No complaints there.

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

DLRC is very "legit".

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dey
    Legit
    Rare
    Coins

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've have dealings well into the 6 figure range with them in the past few years... No problems.

@Pnies20 said:
    You’re not going to get any sort of a deal but they have good customer service. Look at recent auction prices and compare elsewhere before you buy from them. 100% upstanding and reliable, though. No complaints there.

So where would you recommend finding deals?

@Higashiyama said:
    @MKUltra24 asked: "So where would you recommend finding deals?"

I think in the realm of numismatic purchases, it is better to think in terms of "fair transactions" than "deals".

The value-added provided by DLRC and other top dealers is access to good material and professional advice.

@airplanenut said:

@MKUltra24 said:

@Pnies20 said:

So where would you recommend finding deals?

It depends on how you define a deal. If you just want the cheapest coin with a given number on the slab, just look for ugly coins and you'll likely find plenty. If you want quality coins, DLRC and many others will have them, but they'll be priced accordingly. Familiarize yourself with how a given coin should look and understand how the pricing history correlates to coin quality. The number on the slab and the number constituting the price are very, very poor ways to determine, in a vacuum, whether to buy a coin.

I just mean where can I buy coins at a fair price rather than paying much more than others paid for the same coin recently?

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MKUltra24 said:

I just mean where can I buy coins at a fair price rather than paying much more than others paid for the same coin recently?

that is a question without an answer

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% legit. I have done a few transactions with this organization and always a pleasure. I highly recommend David Lawrence.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely yes. I am very pleased with this company and will continue to use them.

@JBatDavidLawrence said:
    For those of you who wrote nice comments, thank you!

For those of you who don't know us, give me a call. Anytime! My direct line is 757-962-7502.
    Or email me at john@davidlawrence.com. I'll reply outside of business hours most of the time.

For those of you who didn't write nice things, give me a call as well. I'd like to see what we can do to make it better for you next time or to see if we can get to the bottom of the issue.

Thanks!

Thanks for jumping in!

Just wanted to say I wasn’t trying to doubt your reputation or anything.

I just didn’t know anything and wanted to make sure it was safe before spending all that money.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the thread but yes they are. One of the top sites IMO. Just take into account the fee's involved. This is not unique to DLRC. Heritage, GC etc. all have buyers premium, taxes, shipping etc. added on to your final price. Take these into account when bidding. Some can add an additional 25% or more to your bid.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    Late to the thread but yes they are. One of the top sites IMO. Just take into account the fee's involved. This is not unique to DLRC. Heritage, GC etc. all have buyers premium, taxes, shipping etc. added on to your final price. Take these into account when bidding. Some can add an additional 25% or more to your bid.

Very true and I’ve found DLRC’s premium to be very reasonable compared to similar avenues. But you point out something very important: take a look at all the costs before you buy from anyone, anywhere. It’s easy to forget that.

Another unsolicited advice: keep your receipts as well. When you go to sell it will help a LOT with your taxes to prove how much you spent on an item you’re selling if the IRS comes calling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file