Home Sports Talk
Options

Going out on top

LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching Tom Brady punch his ticket to the Super Bowl today got me thinking about the possibility he decides to hang up the cleats if he wins it all. He can obviously still play at a high level and will likely play at least another year. My question is who are some of the best or just your personal favorites who played their final career game winning a championship?

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Norm Van Brocklin hung it up after the Eagles won in 1960. So did the coach, Buck Shaw. Eagles fans have long memories given the fact that they win so little.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite would be Ray Bourque, with John Elway a close second.

Elway gets extra credit for going out as a repeat Champion, and MVP.

Steve

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady wants the all time career passing yards record, zero chance he retires even if he wins #7. I mean even Gronk is saying he wants to play next year.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    My favorite would be Ray Bourque, with John Elway a close second.

Elway gets extra credit for going out as a repeat Champion, and MVP.

Steve

Ray Bourque. Good one!

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2021 3:57PM

20 years in the NBA, 5 championships, 60 points in his last game. That's going out on top.

Tomorrow is the anniversary of his death.

RIP Kobe.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

elway is the one that sticks out for me.

Ray lewis did as well.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2021 5:39PM

the Browns won the title in 1964 and Jim Brown played one more season with Cleveland, losing the Championship 23-12 to the Green Bay Packers. his Team wasn't on top but it would be hard to find another NFL player who was at their peak like JB and retired.

it was a tough choice: get tackled by Dick Butkus or make movies with hot actresses!! B)

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

David Robinson and Jerome Bettis were the first ones that came to mind. Great thread. Love the replies thus far! :)

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    the Browns won the title in 1964 and Jim Brown played one more season with Cleveland, losing the Championship 23-12 to the Green Bay Packers. his Team wasn't on top but it would be hard to find another NFL player who was at their peak like JB and retired.

His team wasn't as good but... Barry Sanders.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@keets said:

Calvin Johnson could probably still play

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@keets said:

Agreed 100%

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

unfortunately for Barry Sanders, he WAS the Detroit Lions. B)

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2021 5:42AM

Peyton Manning rode off into the sunset after beating my Cats. Bastard.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2021 9:05AM

Brady could add a list of some pretty incredible accomplishments to his resume with a win in two weeks:
    1. three straight road wins on way to SB win (matching Eli,Rodgers & Roethlisberger)
    2. SB wins with more than one team ( matching Peyton)
    3. four SB wins in six seasons
    4. only QB to win a SB at home
    5. and of course Seven rings

Add those to what he’s already done and there wouldn’t be a better time to go out on top,imho.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@Tabe said:

@keets said:

Calvin Johnson could probably still play

m

This is true. That said, he wasn't at the top of his game when he quit. And his hands are a mess.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Peyton Manning rode off into the sunset after beating my Cats. Bastard.

He won but he was in the running for worst QB to ever win a Super Bowl when he did it. 9 TDs against 17 INTs and could barely throw the ball at all.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, peyton was terrible that last season. as i recall, his noodle arm was worse than Brees this season.
    Broncos won in spite of him at QB that season.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.