Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 5:06PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

You two Canadians take these threads to PM’s eh’

• Options
    edited April 22, 2022 5:06PM

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is another museum, Soumaya, with a rather extensive coin collection. As close as I have ever been to an 8 escudos Hookneck. Not the best video but you get th point https://youtu.be/1jlNh3qKq38

• Options

Thanks.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Soumaya isn't a great presentation. All the coins (8 Escudos only, if I remember correctly) are in one large case and hard to see with the lighting. But the museum itself is pretty interesting and worth a visit. It seems Mr. Slim has a little of everything! There are also some Bancos (private Mexican banknotes) on display.

The Bank of Mexico coin collection is partially displayed at the MIDE, the Interactive Museum of Economics, run by the Bank. While MIDE is mainly geared toward young people, the coin collection is interesting.

The best numismatic museum in Mexico City is the old Mexico City Mint at Apartado. They not only have a great collection of coins and dies, but displays on how coins have been made over the years. It is very worthwhile. There used to be a group of small dealers who met there on Sundays (?) to sell coins.

https://www.gob.mx/cmm/acciones-y-programas/museo-numismatico-nacional-75012

And of course, there is the twice annually Mexico City coin conventions, usually in March and September. While I have no official word, I believe the March show will be canceled due to COVID.

• Options

Thanks much appreciated!!!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a small coin collection in the Museum at Chapultepec (the castle where Maximilian used to live). They are supposed to own a unique 1892-Mo 10 Pesos pattern, but I have never seen it.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas the Soumaya has many more than the 8 escudos. In fact they do have a comprehensive run from half to 8 escudos, as well as silver issues and some medals and notes. But agree, the presentation is not ideal. But that Hookneck is the most amazing coin of the bunch!