Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2004-D Kennedy's grade?

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

These nice 2004-D Kennedy's were in a tight roll of halves. Most were not noteworthy except for these guys. Redbook says these were only minted for collectors. I know they're not proof but what are they? Grade guesses are welcome. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are called NIFCs (Not Intended For Circulation). They include all haves minted from 2002-Present as thy are only sold on the mint website and not released into general circulation.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Kliao I shall note the NIFC. Thanks. Do you know why the 2009-D&P NIFC's are a satin finish but these are not?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    @Kliao I shall note the NIFC. Thanks. Do you know why the 2009-D&P NIFC's are a satin finish but these are not?

I am not sure. Possibly the 2009's came from a mint set? I don't think the mint would make coins with a stain finish only to be put in rolls and bags to be sold to the public.

• Options

@Kliao Last question, would you consider these MS or BU or what?

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    @Kliao Last question, would you consider these MS or BU or what?

Personally I use both plus UNC. I don't think it matters too much.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69... Based on your pictures, I would categorize them as MS....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

Based on my experience having these coins graded, the P would be MS63 and the D would be MS65. Modern coins in most cases seem to have the grades set 1 to 2 numbers lower than the PCGS description of the grade. Just compare an MS65 Morgan dollar to a modern MS65 Kennedy Half and you'll see the Kennedy nearly perfect and the Morgan looks to have been run over on the road a few times.

• Options

@smalltime thanks for your insight. They're both D's, which one IYO is the 65?

• Options
    smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

The one at the top of the picture.

• Options

Okay thanks

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.coinnews.net/2010/12/22/satin-finish-ends-on-us-mint-sets/

there is some consternation from bank coin roll hunters getting their coins labelled SF instead of plain MS.

I went through boxes an boxes of presidential dollars during those years and so many seemed SF.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine So I feel fortunate to have been able to find 11 MS quality satin 09's in both P&D, the rest aren't too shabby, just a ding or two. I wonder how much care is taken to move NIFC coins into packaging. Peace Roy

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

rolls and bags coins don't get much love

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

People buy the rolls and bags, keep a few, and then dump the rest. I am about to do that with some dollar coins and JFKs.

As for satin finish halfs, for a few years (not sure the dates) the mint sets were SF.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file