Home Metal Detecting

January in the woods

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put on my thermal coveralls and went back to one of my best spots in the woods partially to get out of the house and to scratch that itch. Having already dug dozens of IHC, a few Barber dimes and quarters, I felt it was worth a shot. Only one solid hit but I popped out a 1877 SLQ. Yeah it's beat up but made my day. Dress warm and get out there. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Comments

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Roy Seated coins are always a pleasant surprise. Plus the hornets are sleeping!!! :) Best wishes.
    Jim

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights Aww, you remembered that I got stung there last summer. Yup, dats da place!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Roy,
    I was using an Coinmaster 4 (Whites) back in the 70s. I remember hunting an old college, I did real well there. One day my detector (I thought) was making this new crazy buzzing sound. Couldn't get it to stop. When i looked at the ground bumble bees (pissed off by the way) were pouring out of the ground! Now I knew what the new noise was. I always wondered what people thought when this kid went streaking by them carrying a metal detector! Only got stung once!
    Best wishes! If you ever get to Eastern Iowa let me know. We'll go get a few dirt fishing.

@No Headlights Detecting in the 70's! In 1970, I was in the grass, watching combat engineers clear an area with detectors. Who'd a thunk. Thanks for the invite.

I appreciate your service! You're welcome anytime.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find Roy.... Good time of year to avoid the bees too....They can make for a very bad day. Glad you made it back from 'the grass'. Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW ... That's nice!

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are those chop marks 😂😂🙈

Speaking of Hornets. I found this one in December of 1993. Climbed about 20 ft up a tree to saw it off. Couldn’t do that now

@pocketpiececommems nice nest, did you place the snake skin up there? Btw, I harvested two huge nests this past fall and sold them to collectors. Peace Roy

@pocketpiececommems I wish they were chop marks.

@Namvet69.... There are people that collect wasp nests??? I did not know that. What kind of value do they have? Cheers, RickO

@ricko nicely shaped big ones with the branch attached, especially paper wasps, dried, may command $75+ to a naturalist, entomology person, school teacher. But you outta snag them in late fall before it begins to deteriorate. Peace Roy

Do they not still have the bees in them at that point? Cheers, RickO

By the first frost, they've left, strategic branch cut, trash bag, keep em high and dry.

Thanks Roy, I also read about them.... interesting critters. Usually only the queen survives the winter. Cheers, RickO

I did place the snake skin on the nest. I can’t pass up a snake skin or a Baltimore Oriole nest.

@pocketpiececommems... I understand... I have always been intrigued by both... Snakes were a hobby when I was a kid... and the Baltimore Oriole always had their nests very high. Cheers, RickO