Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Real value of unopened 5 set 2011 silver eagles

Hello everyone, ive been holding onto 5 sets of the 2011 5 coin silver eagles, unopened still in the original sealed shipping box from the mint. A friend told me to buy them back when they came out and not open the shipping box. I lost contact with that person years ago but i was wondering if anyone here could give me a realistic value for the unopened box. I've seen old ebay listings for over $4,000 but i dont know what exactly the unopened box goes for these days since i assume most people opened them and had them graded almost a decade ago.

Thanks for any info.

Answers

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think prices have come down but I will let others weigh in.

Back when they came out a friend and I each got 5 sets. We flipped one box of 5 for $600 more than both boxes cost us, making the ones we kept free plus a $300 profit each.

I was plenty happy with that outcome.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at eBay, there are 2 listings with the shipping box still sealed. One with 2 sets in it asking $1500 and a single set asking $900. None have sold so it will be hard to determine the exact value of sealed boxes but I would think lower then the current asking prices as they haven't sold.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

I don't know the "real value" and there are not any sold listings to compare.
    If they were mine I think I would try a $650 obo on ebay.

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

I sold a box sealed box of 4 sets for $2000 last August. I was clearing out a few old boxes cluttering up a closet.

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

I had a box of one set just like yours (sealed since 2011), I was cleaning out my unwanted stuff and sold it on the BST last fall for $600. That seemed like a fair price to me, the buyer seemed happy with it, I wasn't going to send the box in for grading, as the prices have softened in the last decade from what I can tell. This isn't meant to be advice, just information of a transaction I did.

• Options

@bigole said:

I had a box of one set just like yours (sealed since 2011), I was cleaning out my unwanted stuff and sold it on the BST last fall for $600. That seemed like a fair price to me, the buyer seemed happy with it, I wasn't going to send the box in for grading, as the prices have softened in the last decade from what I can tell. This isn't meant to be advice, just information of a transaction I did.

That would mean i could maybe get $3000 for the sealed box of 5 sets i've got?

Think the unopened boxes will go back up in the future?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

i do not think these will go back up in the future

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I am not giving investment advice, but as I see it, with more and more limited edition Silver Eagles being issued, the 2011 sets have become just one more on the list.

If you can get $3000 for your box that means you doubled your money in 10 years. I more than doubled mine in ten weeks back in 2011. :/

Your friend did you a huge favor back then by encouraging you to buy and keep sealed, but too bad he dropped out of the picture and could not advise you afterward.

I think that the more years that go by, the worse the return on investment is going to be.

But that's just my opinion.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I am not giving investment advice, but as I see it, with more and more limited edition Silver Eagles being issued, the 2011 sets have become just one more on the list.

If you can get $3000 for your box that means you doubled your money in 10 years. I more than doubled mine in ten weeks back in 2011. :/

Your friend did you a huge favor back then by encouraging you to buy and keep sealed, but too bad he dropped out of the picture and could not advise you afterward.

I think that the more years that go by, the worse the return on investment is going to be.

But that's just my opinion.

I appreciate the insight. I basically forgot i had them but i was under the possibly naïve impression that rare-ish coins would go up in value over time. I take it that these aren't so prized anymore?

• Options

I think they are still appreciated (I still like mine :p ) but we have seen in recent years that hot issues shoot up in value as the frenzy takes over but then settle back as time goes on.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hard part is going to be someone wanting five sets as opposed to one. You might not get $600 each in this volume.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pingle- I was the one that bought one from Bigole in unopened box (excellent guy to deal with by the by). The value is in the label when graded. Unopened it is eligible for the anniversary label. For us poor souls trying to do the whole series in 70, the unopened 25th is tough. So why am I telling you this, might want to seek out a dealer and I say this because IMHO the avg Joe is not gonna pay for grading for 25 coins in order to keep the best of each. At that point between the grading and shipping and insurance plus initial investment you might have been able to buy the individual coins in 70 off of eBay etc. my dos cevantos

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    The hard part is going to be someone wanting five sets as opposed to one. You might not get $600 each in this volume.

Yes, there will probably be a bulk lot discount.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

My set is still in the original unopened box as well. I am surprised at how huge the shipping box is for just one set.

• Options

Nothing like procrastinating. :D

What are you guys waiting for? I'd either get them graded or sell them to someone who will.

There were some issues with these with coins rattling around inside the cases and some even breaking out of the capsules. Also, one of my lacquered wood boxes was smashed in transit.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pinglesdagbok .... Welcome aboard. With such mint products, it is best to sell early for maximum profit. The excitement starts to subside after about a year or so. Now the individual coins are available graded - for a reasonable price, and no problem with the extra coins. You may have better luck selling the sets individually. JMO Cheers, RickO

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

Apmex has 9 of them in stock and are selling them for $545 each

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Ungraded 5 coin sets in original packaging selling for around $500 on Ebay.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

Be careful of silver eagles developing milk spot(s). I agree that $500/$550 per set is reasonable but if you sell on Ebay, prepare to pay 10% transaction fee.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately the real value is about half what it was years ago. I can remember these going for $1100-1250 a set at shows and online. They are getting to a range I will finally add one to my Silver Eagle collection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file