Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1824 Half Overturn error Question

Recently I got a Coin Collection from my dad, Trying to identify everything in order to sell them, This one strikes me as I am confused as to witch type of error it is. Based on research I think It is an 1824 Half overturn 115 R.2, asking for profesional help as to how to correctly label this coin. Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Board. That's a neat coin to get as part of your dad's collection.

Two initial comments. First, I think you are confusing "overturn" with "Overton." Al Overton was the author of the most commonly used reference for this type of coin (Lettered Edge Capped Bust half dollar). Coins resulting from the specific pairs of obverse (heads) and reverse (tails) dies are given a reference number. Those numbers are "Overton" numbers, designated "O-XXX," where the XXX is a number beginning with 101 and increasing for every new die pair (die marriage) for that specific year.

So, your coin is likely an 1824 O-115 (I cannot confirm at this moment). It is not an error coin, however.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@astrorat said:
    Welcome to the Board. That's a neat coin to get as part of your dad's collection.

Two initial comments. First, I think you are confusing "overturn" with "Overton." Al Overton was the author of the most commonly used reference for this type of coin (Lettered Edge Capped Bust half dollar). Coins resulting from the specific pairs of obverse (heads) and reverse (tails) dies are given a reference number. Those numbers are "Overton" numbers, designated "O-XXX," where the XXX is a number beginning with 101 and increasing for every new die pair (die marriage) for that specific year.

So, your coin is likely an 1824 O-115 (I cannot confirm at this moment). It is not an error coin, however.

Thanks for the information, I have been trying to figure it out for a few weeks now.

Blessing from Puerto Rico buddy!

• Options

@AcunaCollector said:

@astrorat said:

Thanks for the information, I have been trying to figure it out for a few weeks now.

Also any knowledge on how much this coin would sell in an open market?

• Options

@AcunaCollector said:

@AcunaCollector said:

@astrorat said:

Also any knowledge on how much this coin would sell in an open market?

If the coin is an O-115, it is a common variety (die marriage) so it will not have a premium based on its rarity.

Your coin has a moderate amount of wear and would likely grade as a VF (very fine). Unfortunately, it has been cleaned which significantly reduces it value to a collector. I estimate your coin has a full retail value of $50-60. If you wanted to sell it to a coin dealer, I would not expect over $30. "Problem coins" such as yours (it has been cleaned) are much more difficult to sell and are purchased at a steep discount as a result.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AcunaCollector.... Welcome aboard....You have your answers above... Where in Puerto Rico are you? I lived and worked there for two and a half years.... Mayaguez and San German. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin is an O.117.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Your coin is an O.117.
    Lance.

As it is written, so shall it be done. It's an O.117. :)

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:

This is a great reply.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file