Home Precious Metals
Options

What’s the best product to clean ugly toning off bullion coins?

MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 21, 2021 2:44AM in Precious Metals

I know one of the big no-no’s of coin collecting is that a collector should never ever clean a coin. (Unless you’re like Daniel from CoinHelpU who knows how to clean spots off coins without getting the “Cleaned” designation by PCGS & NGC).

But I have some plain old 2020 American Silver Eagle bullion coins with no numismatic value and they have ugly purple toning on them.

Is it ok to clean regular bullion coins with zero numismatic value?

If so what product should I use to do so?

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rids the nasty in seconds. Wish they sold it by the gallon. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

Do you have personal experience with this product?

Also do you know if I can buy it on Amazon?

• Options

Use it all the time. Yes it is available on Amazon as well as your local grocery store, hardware store, Walmart etc.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    Use it all the time. Yes it is available on Amazon as well as your local grocery store, hardware store, Walmart etc.

Awesome I’ll try that thanks! :)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any non-abrasive liquid tarnish remover should work. Tarnx works well for me and it's available at Walmart, Target, etc.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I have not used it myself, but many have mentioned a product called e-Z-est that is available from various sources. It will take tarnish off silver, but I have reservations for using it on any numismatic or collector coin.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

@DeutscherGeist said:
    I have not used it myself, but many have mentioned a product called e-Z-est that is available from various sources. It will take tarnish off silver, but I have reservations for using it on any numismatic or collector coin.

Nah nothing numismatic or collectible.

Just stuff like this.

See the ugly purple toning? :/

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us know the end results after your 'cleaning' @MKUltra24 :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dip, but do not rub....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:

Pat dry? Or air dry?

• Options

Rinse in hot, running water, then dip in acetone and let air dry. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:

Acetone?? More stuff to buy?

Is it possible to do without acetone?

• Options

@MKUltra24 said:

@ricko said:

Acetone?? More stuff to buy?

Is it possible to do without acetone?

Dip it, rinse it very well, and pat it dry with a clean cotton T-shirt. Let it air out for awhile and then you're done.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

definitely no rubbing. scratching will make it worse than the toning.

acetone is super cheap.

an improper rinse can leave a residue that will discolor.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MKUltra24 .... Yes, as @PerryHall stated above, it is possible. I was recommending the best method I use. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

I'm in trouble now! I had a bunch of old Englehards and they are bright silver now! Haha ha!

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@ricko said:

definitely no rubbing. scratching will make it worse than the toning.

acetone is super cheap.

an improper rinse can leave a residue that will discolor.

It’s not so much the price I’m worried about. I’m sure I could pick some up on Amazon.

It’s more about the fact that I’m renting a room in a house with other people and I have so many chemicals in my room for various hobbies like silver & gold testing acid and chemicals for other hobbies that I really don’t want to pick up more.

Basically I’m just running out of space in my room because it’s already so full of chemicals :/.

So if it’s possible to do without acetone I’d prefer to go that route.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone is extraordinarily flammable and evaporates into the air readily at room temperature. If you are going to use acetone then you had better have excellent ventilation or use it outside. Otherwise, you run the risk of giving yourself and your roommates terrible headaches, liver problems and/or burning down the place and killing everyone.

Look, folks might think I'm being an alarmist, but if you aren't comfortable with those options then think long and hard.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

You don't need acetone which is highly flammable to remove tarnish from silver. TarnX and running water is all you need.

• Options

The acetone simply removes organic residues... will not affect tarnish. So you could skip the use of acetone. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

You could replace the proposed acetone rinse with a distilled water rinse. Then I would just let it air dry, and not bother to pat it down to dry it. Acetone would remove oils and such, but that is not the case for you here.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

I like to use a final wash with distilled / deionized water after everything else. Tap water contains metal ions / chlorine / etc.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try a liquid jewelry cleaner. Dip then rinse in basket. Air dry.

Worked rather well for me on ASEs. Maples some times required a gentle Q tip before rinse on milk spots.

Good luck.....

• Options

Use the Weimans, cripes why are you buying acetone now? use that for crud or glue. You just need a quick dip with warm water rinse.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

@MKUltra24 said:
    It’s more about the fact that I’m renting a room in a house with other people and I have so many chemicals in my room for various hobbies like silver & gold testing acid and chemicals for other hobbies that I really don’t want to pick up more.

Basically I’m just running out of space in my room because it’s already so full of chemicals :/.

That might explain any black Suburban or Tahoe that is driving by or briefly stopping outside the residence. >:)

• Options

@RobM said:

@MKUltra24 said:

That might explain any black Suburban or Tahoe that is driving by or briefly stopping outside the residence. >:)

:lol: It’s all legal I swear!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2021 8:36AM

I dunno. Silver is more than gold, in some cases. I just flip it, and rarely dip it. Although for haze, in some mint cases, it's often necessary.
    You listen to ricko & perry hall. The consensus says "do not wipe". It kills more pristine coins than parking lots.

Then, there is ezest

I just ordered some from wizard coin for a customer.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Girls used acetone for decades, to remove fingernail polish. Then they changed the solution ( diluted, I suspect) , because their brothers were using it to fix coins back in them days.

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    Let us know the end results after your 'cleaning' @MKUltra24 :)

@MKUltra24 said:

@blitzdude said:

Do you have personal experience with this product?

Also do you know if I can buy it on Amazon?

Hey I tried the stuff you recommended and it worked!

Thanks!! :)

Here are the before and after pics.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

I used the stuff you recommended and it worked! (see above photo).

Although on some of my bullion coins it did leave milk spots.

I rinsed them correctly but they still showed up. :(

Better than the ugly toning though.

• Options

The milk spots were already there, my guess is you didn't notice due to the toning. The Weimans certainly didn't create them.

Wrights silver cream will get rid of milk spots but now we are talking about wiping and not just a simple dip. I've purchased hundreds of heavily milk spotted maples over the years and made them all milk spot free with a quick wipe.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating you use the cream but if the spots bother you and we are talking about non-numismatic bullion I don't see the harm. Thanks for making the girl beautiful again. Nothing worse on planet earth than toned silver.

• Options
    edited January 27, 2021 1:05AM

@blitzdude said:
    The milk spots were already there, my guess is you didn't notice due to the toning. The Weimans certainly didn't create them.

Wrights silver cream will get rid of milk spots but now we are talking about wiping and not just a simple dip. I've purchased hundreds of heavily milk spotted maples over the years and made them all milk spot free with a quick wipe.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating you use the cream but if the spots bother you and we are talking about non-numismatic bullion I don't see the harm. Thanks for making the girl beautiful again. Nothing worse on planet earth than toned silver.

Oh Hmm maybe I didn’t notice the milk spots under the toning until I cleaned the toning away.

The Weiman’s stuff said to use rubber gloves but I pretty much just used my bare hands.

At first I was worried it would irritate my skin like the warning label said but here we are 24 hours later and I haven’t noticed any irritation from getting the Weiman’s all over my bare hands.

Also yeah I would only use any sort of cleaning product on something that is nothing more than bullion.

I would never use any product of any kind on something that had collectible or numismatic value.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!